most overrated fruit

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
I vote mango...kinda meh, too sweet. Everytime I turn around there is some sort of mango-flavored thing...mango salsa, mango lahsi, mango "blast" or whatever. Mango sucks.

Comments

• Wow, Mango happens to be my favorite fruit ever.

I say grapefruit. Its bitter and shouldnt even be considered fruit.

• and I love grapefruit...different strokes

• Fruit Fact #14

Never eat Grapefruit with any other food (or medicine).

b/w

Mangos rule.

• Horseleech said:
    Fruit Fact #14

Never eat Grapefruit with any other food (or medicine).

b/w

Mangos rule.

over-hyped precautions...actually there are only a few beta-blockers and a couple types of blood thinners that grapefruit interferes with their absorbtions...somehow it got blown up as "grapefruit makes all medicines impotent" (Someone told me this when i was on a specific medicine, so I looked it up, and my medicine was unaffected. (as well as most)

Mehngo

• I'd say Kiwi. At least here in Europe where they just taste sour

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    The pomegranate.

Not so wonderful in my opinion.

• around here people seem to go crazy for pluots -- i think they're total shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I like strawberries but the whole sexy/romantic nonsense associated with them is suspect.

Ruby Red Grapefruit juice and Ketel One - everyday.

• I agree about mangoes. Also I can never tell when they are ripe. My daughter loves them and half the time they feel soft, but I cut into them and they are not ripe.

• Bananas used to taste better than they do now! Used to be my favorite fruit, not anymore!

• yall are trippin. mango & grapefruit are two of the best in the fruit kingdom.

Bananas are probably the only fruit I DON'T like. Nasty.

• barjesus said:
    Bananas used to taste better than they do now! Used to be my favorite fruit, not anymore!

I was feeling the same, but we started getting Peruvian bananas and they are great...kick the shit outta dole and Chiquita junts. I eat a banana every morning.

At this point in my life, Oranges are fuckin boring. And Orange juice even more so.

But i do fux with Blood Orange juice.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    How can you knock bananas? Cheap potassium blast. I buy a bunch every time I go to the store, never sets me back. I am sort of scratching my head with this question and can't come up with a good answer -- all fruits have great characters that are gifts to my body (pause). The only thing I could say is that pears have a very short window between "hard" and "too soft" (pause).

Personal favorite fruit: the cranberry.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    A perfect mango will momentarily change your life, but they are rarely lucked into. The ones I buy tend to go from not-yet-ripe to mushy bruised and gross with seemingly no warning...

Never been a fan of melon based fruits really, but as far as most overrated is concerned I might have to suggest the apple.

white_tea said:
    I am sort of scratching my head with this question and can't come up with a good answer .

Yeah.. but i do remember a time when Mango wasnt featured in candies, sodas, drinks, and other mainstream products.
    They are way past their "new" status at this point. Mangoes are the shit, but they are too damn sticky.

I was getting sick of Acai, Dragonberry and all the other "exotic" fruit flavors being promoted as good for you and from some magical jungle.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    batmon said:

I was getting sick of Acai, Dragonberry and all the other "exotic" fruit flavors being promoted as good for you and from some magical jungle.

True

• batmon said:

add a little bit of pomegranite and a couple shots of vodka for some Bear's Blood...great cocktail.

The_Hook_Up said:
    batmon said:

add a little bit of pomegranite and a couple shots of vodka for some Bear's Blood...great cocktail.

:feelin_it:

Thats Tart and Bitter together........... :oh_my:

• Acai - The trendy good for you fruit of the last few years..

Looking forward to getting down to Brazil after hearing from my wife of all the good fruit that you don't get here.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I know the right juice from the darkest fruits

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    I agree about mangoes. Also I can never tell when they are ripe. My daughter loves them and half the time they feel soft, but I cut into them and they are not ripe.

SNIFF TEST.

• The sliced mango on a stick with chili powder and lime is the best thing ever invented.

Honey Dew melon and papaya also suck to me.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I like Mango's. One of my fav deserts is in Thailand. Mango, sticky rice and coconut milk. Whenever I try and get it here tho, it's never even close as good.

This women does it the best!

And someone says Acai? Fuck, I'm thinking about flying down to Rio just to get this...

Without a doubt, one of the best things I came across down there. Sitting on the beach and enjoying a cold Acai and Granola is a bit of heaven IMO.

I'm not a fan of Kiwi tho.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Heddy said:
    The pomegranate.

Not so wonderful in my opinion.

Agreed. Pomegranates suck donkey balls and are hella work for garbage taste.
    I'm gonna select one I know everybody probably likes: blueberry. Don't like it. Don't hate it, but I feel it's way overrated.

• Grandfather said:
    The sliced mango on a stick with chili powder and lime is the best thing ever invented.

I had this for the first time recently and it was truly awesome. No stick though, in my neighborhood they throw it all in a ziplock, $2.

• HarveyCanal said:
    CousinLarry said:
    I agree about mangoes. Also I can never tell when they are ripe. My daughter loves them and half the time they feel soft, but I cut into them and they are not ripe.

SNIFF TEST.

How should a ripe mango smell?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I've always thought Oranges were over-rated, but that's also because I used to be allergic to them. I used to be allergic to the citrus from Lemons, Limes and Oranges. To this day I can't eat a grapefruit.

- spidey

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    CousinLarry said:

SNIFF TEST.

How should a ripe mango smell?

The sap leaking from the stem should smell just like you would want a mango to taste. If it doesn't smell like anything, it's not ripe enough. If it smells like wine, it's too ripe.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    apples, guava and papaya
    F em all.

Apples are only good in desserts, cooked and brown sugared/cinnamoned/nutmeged into submission. If raw, slathered in peanut butter.
    The other two - they are just not that good, they really aren't.

yea, different strokes for sure
    pomegranate (sprinkled with angelica powder - OMG!)
    mango
    pineapple
    grapefruit (especially pink)
    limes
    lemons
    bananas
    .....can't imagine life without them