Who sounds similar to this?

blakatomblakatom 95 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
I've always liked Sidney Owen's "Sputnik" for it's unique syrupy psych funk vibe. I thought it was a song without peer until ,recently, I heard the Fantastic Epic's "Fun & Funk Part 2". My question is does anybody know of any other songs that sound as if they could have sprung from the same mother as these two?

Comments

• blakatom said:
    I've always liked Sidney Owen's "Sputnik" for it's unique syrupy psych funk vibe. I thought it was a song without peer until ,recently, I heard the Fantastic Epic's "Fun & Funk Part 2". My question is does anybody know of any other songs that sound as if they could have sprung from the same mother as these two?

Never heard the Sidney Owen track, but I am very familiar with the Fantastic Epics. If you want more like that, you may as well get the first three Funkadelic LP's - Funkadelic, Free Your Mind..., and Maggot Brain. I think the Politicians' lone LP (on Invictus) might do you some good, too. These are obvious, major-label suggestions, I know, but they may as well be Psych Funk 101.

I should mention that the Fantastic Epics were an early version of Rasputin's Stash. The first Stash LP on Cotillion isn't too far removed from "Fun & Funk." Not as "spacey," but there's a definite hard-rock influence.

• pickwick33 said:
    blakatom said:

Never heard the Sidney Owen track, but I am very familiar with the Fantastic Epics. If you want more like that, you may as well get the first three Funkadelic LP's - Funkadelic, Free Your Mind..., and Maggot Brain. I think the Politicians' lone LP (on Invictus) might do you some good, too. These are obvious, major-label suggestions, I know, but they may as well be Psych Funk 101.

I should mention that the Fantastic Epics were an early version of Rasputin's Stash. The first Stash LP on Cotillion isn't too far removed from "Fun & Funk." Not as "spacey," but there's a definite hard-rock influence.

Those first Funkadelic albums fit in well. Haven't heard Rasputin's Stash or Politicians but will check it out. Thanks.

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    Check out The Gaslamp Killer's Rocky Road compilations...Sputnik was on one of them aswell.