Aretha Franklin cover songs from the '60/70s?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
So I've been asked to participate in a very cool Aretha Franklin tribute party at Cleveland's House of Blues next week. I'll be spinning alongside Mick Boogie and MC Lyte(!) as part of a Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame weekend of events devoted to Aretha.

Since I'm the opening DJ, I'm going to try to avoid playing the obvious big hits and while I'll probably spend most of my time crawling through her Columbia catalog and less obvious Atlantic tracks, I'd like to also throw in some cover songs, especially from Afro-Caribbean/Afro-Latin artists. Three titles that came to mind immediately as inspirations for what I'm looking for are:

The Marvels: Rocksteady
Eduardo Araujo: Baby Baby Sim Baby
Mighty and the malicumba a go-go: Respect

Any other suggestions? I'd prefer to keep this in the '60s and '70s rather than more contemporary covers (unless they're really that good). Thanks!

Comments

• there is a cover version of respect by german singer "joy fleming", it??s not afro-carribean but still a nice and funky track. unfortunately the clip on youtube is not working in germany.

• minimini 879 Posts

• also shirley scott's version of "think"

not a cover but this would be a propos:

as would this possibly:

• another one:

• and some more:

and so on.....and so on.....peace

• crabmongerfunk said:

also shirley scott's version of "think"

not a cover but this would be a propos:

as would this possibly:

another a propos:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

too slow?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    A couple of these tracks are covers of songs Aretha covered, like "Respect" and "Spanish Harlem."

I could be a wise guy and say that if that's the case, then you may as well spin Big Maybelle's "96 Tears." :lol:

But I understand what y'all mean - those songs didn't originate with Aretha, but they're so identified with her legacy that they may as well have.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Damn, thanks y'all!

I should have noted: I don't need any more "Rocksteady" or "Respect" covers but "Save Me" is never bad (I'll probably go with Nina Simone's, which I forgot to list earlier). I had totally forgotten about those Purdie and Eaton covers; solid for my needs, thanks!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Thelma Jones - House that Jack Built is a fave. Way funkier than the orig.

To try to score raer points, Bill Swift Trio - Chain of Fools is good... but probably more expensive than good.

pickwick33 said:
    A couple of these tracks are covers of songs Aretha covered, like "Respect" and "Spanish Harlem."

I could be a wise guy and say that if that's the case, then you may as well spin Big Maybelle's "96 Tears." :lol:

But I understand what y'all mean - those songs didn't originate with Aretha, but they're so identified with her legacy that they may as well have.

PW33: The Otis Redding is something I might pull out but since I already have a different cover of "Respect" in the mix, I probably won't need to drop Otis on 'em.

Your post did make me think though: I could certainly pair Nina's "Young, Gifted and Black" with Aretha's cover of it. (And then drop Gang Starr's '92 Interlude." BOOM ;)

high_c said:

Totally forgot about this too: all wins as a choice, thanks.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Too obvious?

Sounds like a cool gig O, enjoy...

Not too obvious - I had considered it as the lead cut in fact.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I can't find Ramsey Lewis' version of (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone on YouTube, but there's one which manages to be less obvious without being super-obscure.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Damn, thanks y'all!

I should have noted: I don't need any more "Rocksteady" or "Respect" covers but "Save Me" is never bad (I'll probably go with Nina Simone's, which I forgot to list earlier). I had totally forgotten about those Purdie and Eaton covers; solid for my needs, thanks!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Playing originals is a good idea to me.

Wish I knew some Afro-Caribbean to suggest, but no. I keep thinking Angelic Kidjo must have done something, but too new for you.

Artist associated with Aretha who performed songs associated with Aretha?
    Sam Cooke Bring It On Home
    King Curtis (or the Band) The Weight
    Something by Ray Charles, but I'm not sure what.

Oh Mary Swan Silvertones? Maybe not.
    Sweet Inspirations...
    Carolyn, Erma...

• high_c said:

To try to score raer points, Bill Swift Trio - Chain of Fools is good... but probably more expensive than good.

Pretty sure Thelma Jones is the OG...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    high_c said:

that's because it IS the original

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ray Bryant - Natural Woman
    Jimmy Brown - Chain of Fools

neither on YouTube