switching from hardware to software

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I recently had to sell my mpc due to being broke as hell. I am interested in fooling around with the PC to make music. I was lucky enough to aquire Cubase SX and Fruit Loops Studi but have yet to use them(well Cubase just for a recording) Has anyone else made the change from a hardware to strictly using your PC to sample,sequence,etc? If so..how do you like it?Pro? Cons?

Comments

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    Yes i have.
    I moved everything over to Emagics(no Apples) Logic on the PC about 3 years ago.
    I made the move because i could compose, sample, track and master all in one "box.
    Its nice to be able to do everything that you can think up, the down side is when you
    have no limitations the possibilities are endless so you have a hard time finding out
    from where to start.
    Its nice to work within the boundaries of certain hardware ... it forces you to be tricky and
    more creative. This has its benefits and you can capitilize on happy accidents much more
    easily. Hardware, for the most part, is bullet proof. Software can crap out on you and if
    you have a machine that you use for more than just music you can become succeptible to
    a liteny of virus/spyware/software conflicts that normally wouldn't be an issue when using hardware.

The biggest plus for me is that i can really get into the song/beat/whatever.
    I can see it from all angles and get granular on that shit.
    The plugin's sound good/great and there's a shitload to have if you go online.
    It is easier now, more than ever, to connect hardware and software so if you're looking
    to get hardware later you needn't worry about compatibility (for the most part).

ps. Logic is the Bomb!!!! Pretty big learning curve but once you get past it, its pretty intuitive (if that makes sense) and the interface is nice to look @ when your sitting in front of the computer for hours on end.
    And the VSTi's that come with logic, along with a pretty robust soft-sampler, are dope.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    switched to computer recording from my fostex 4 track about 5 years ago.

been using ableton live exlusively for the last 3 or so.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Yes i have.
    I moved everything over to Emagics(no Apples) Logic on the PC about 3 years ago.
    I made the move because i could compose, sample, track and master all in one "box.
    Its nice to be able to do everything that you can think up, the down side is when you
    have no limitations the possibilities are endless so you have a hard time finding out
    from where to start.
    Its nice to work within the boundaries of certain hardware ... it forces you to be tricky and
    more creative. This has its benefits and you can capitilize on happy accidents much more
    easily. Hardware, for the most part, is bullet proof. Software can crap out on you and if
    you have a machine that you use for more than just music you can become succeptible to
    a liteny of virus/spyware/software conflicts that normally wouldn't be an issue when using hardware.

The biggest plus for me is that i can really get into the song/beat/whatever.
    I can see it from all angles and get granular on that shit.
    The plugin's sound good/great and there's a shitload to have if you go online.
    It is easier now, more than ever, to connect hardware and software so if you're looking
    to get hardware later you needn't worry about compatibility (for the most part).

ps. Logic is the Bomb!!!! Pretty big learning curve but once you get past it, its pretty intuitive (if that makes sense) and the interface is nice to look @ when your sitting in front of the computer for hours on end.
    And the VSTi's that come with logic, along with a pretty robust soft-sampler, are dope.

I read in Scratch (forgot which issue)that Logic is a lot more versatile than ProTools. But the con is that it's more costly than Pro Tools (or at least the MBox). What the bizness is, SouthCrack....

• I read in Scratch (forgot which issue)that Logic is a lot more versatile than ProTools. But the con is that it's more costly than Pro Tools (or at least the MBox). What the bizness is, SouthCrack....

True, but you get so many instruments and plug-ins straight out the box that you won't need to buy any extras for like a decade.

I read in Scratch (forgot which issue)that Logic is a lot more versatile than ProTools. But the con is that it's more costly than Pro Tools (or at least the MBox). What the bizness is, SouthCrack....

True, but you get so many instruments and plug-ins straight out the box that you won't need to buy any extras for like a decade.
    Your talkin' bout Logic right? That's why I'm seriously considering buying that instead of an MBox. It's more dough but it's worth it.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I tried it and I couldn't live with it. I just didn't take to it for some reason. I needed (and still do) a hardware sampler. If you compare spec's, I think one could argue that Logic can do more than both Protools and an MPC combined, but at the end of the day it's what works for you. I can't even describe why, I just didn't like it.

In terms of the protools vs Logic debate, I don't think anyone should ever use protools to "make beats". It's not what it's for. Logic may be suited for that type of application, but to put protools up against it isn't fair since that's not what it is meant for.

Now if you want to leave that and get into the mixing/dropping debate, I wonder if Logic again doesn't hold more features and greater specs than protools, but that doesn't always mean it will win. Look at Sega Vs Nintendo. Penetration of the product is what's most important, not always which is best.

I mean, ask everyone this question. I know for me, the answer is "no"

Has anyone ever sold a beat and been asked to send a Logic session?

So really, even with 50+ more options it's of no use to me.

I'm sure the stuff can be bounced down or converted, it's more for arguments sake.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    lot of good things said so far. its really a personal preference. but since you have some software in front of you, i would say your personal preference should be to play with what you got.

i personally use both hardware and software combined. but in stages. i start on the mpc and fantom, then protools makes its way into the mix and eventually takes over.

which brings me to this:

In terms of the protools vs Logic debate, I don't think anyone should ever use protools to "make beats". It's not what it's for. Logic may be suited for that type of application, but to put protools up against it isn't fair since that's not what it is meant for.

i havent tried logic yet, so i won't compare the two, but i can tell you that protools is perfectly capable of making music on. i know they didn't start out with good MIDI control, but its pretty damn solid for me now. so i would say anyone should use protools to "make beats."
    you can use soft samplers, soft synths, plugins, etc...

engineers like it when you give them a protools session to work with, too.

i think it definalty depends on what you need the software to do. for me ableton is the only game in town.

now with the new session freeze function you can self contain the entire track and play it on any system you want. even computers without the plugins or ableton. and shit can all be rewired into logic / protools anyways.

logic is definatly alot nicer than protools if you ask me. i used protools for a number of years and it never did much for me. im working on logic at my buddies studio and its just ten times better in terms of workflow.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    you can definitely use protools to make beats. i did that nas remix with a record player and protools.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i think it definalty depends on what you need the software to do. for me ableton is the only game in town.

now with the new session freeze function you can self contain the entire track and play it on any system you want. even computers without the plugins or ableton. and shit can all be rewired into logic / protools anyways.

logic is definatly alot nicer than protools if you ask me. i used protools for a number of years and it never did much for me. im working on logic at my buddies studio and its just ten times better in terms of workflow.

im with you. ableton is nice as a bitch. i use that a little bit too.

sounds like i need to at least try logic. i am super fluid with protools though, so it may take some kicking and screaming...

I needed (and still do) a hardware sampler. If you compare spec's, I think one could argue that Logic can do more than both Protools and an MPC combined, but at the end of the day it's what works for you. I can't even describe why, I just didn't like it.
    I agree. I would never totally abandon hardware for software when it comes to doing beats. I love the feel of using a sampler.

Has anyone ever sold a beat and been asked to send a Logic session?

So really, even with 50+ more options it's of no use to me.

I'm sure the stuff can be bounced down or converted, it's more for arguments sake.
    Another excellent point. One in which I totally forgot about when I posted here earlier.

• engineers like it when you give them a protools session to work with, too.

almost every software DAW (the major ones - Logic, Digital Performer, Cubase) on the market is Protools compatable, so this argument is kinda outdated.

almost every software DAW (the major ones - Logic, Digital Performer, Cubase) on the market is Protools compatable, so this argument is kinda outdated.

Not totally - I run DP at home, I track vocals on Protools though (in another studio)... any mixing, automation, etc is lost in a transfer (back or forth).

Also, blame this on Digidesign or the industry as a whole but converting into ProTools is easy... converting back to another platform is a pain.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

engineers like it when you give them a protools session to work with, too.

Not totally - I run DP at home, I track vocals on Protools though (in another studio)... any mixing, automation, etc is lost in a transfer (back or forth).

Also, blame this on Digidesign or the industry as a whole but converting into ProTools is easy... converting back to another platform is a pain.

exactly.

if i get a protools file from someone who has protools, i get everything from when they started the session, unless they compact it, and even then, i still get a lot.

if i bring in an OMF, i get no plugins, no autmoation, nothing. i like to have some of that even if its just to see where they were going with their project and then start a new session fresh.

so no, its not outdated.

exactly.

if i get a protools file from someone who has protools, i get everything from when they started the session, unless they compact it, and even then, i still get a lot.

if i bring in an OMF, i get no plugins, no autmoation, nothing. i like to have some of that even if its just to see where they were going with their project and then start a new session fresh.

so no, its not outdated.

that's true for plugins, but you can always bounce down the audio to another track. And Cubase now freezes plugins so they will transfer to Protools sessions.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    the truth is that logic is probably better.

Protools is kind of a rip. But everybody uses it. So its easy like that.

I dont think Ill ever give up on hardware. I havent seen a software synth that can even keep up with my workflow yet. Even on the beefiest computer. Theres all these latency issues and shit. and I know they can be corrected, but the point is that its there. Its much more fun for me to toggle through some hardware and physically press buttons and shit.

But software is definitely a good alternative. Its come down to preference these days. I like what was said about how hardware forces you to work within limitations. It might sound bad, but it actually makes things alot easier.

Protools pisses me off though how you have to use their hardware with it. With logic you can get those sick mackie control faders from the picture and any DAW interface and you're good to go. These days I just find the mbox to be way to limiting to even mess with. Not enough inputs. 002 rack is still pretty straight though, and at 1250 its definitely the way to get into protools.

Now if you wanna talk big ballin however, Protools HD is the fuckin shit.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    What kind of controllers are you all using? Working without some sort of keys or pads is a pain in the ass when working with software.

• snosno 332 Posts
    What kind of controllers are you all using? Working without some sort of keys or pads is a pain in the ass when working with software.

For Ableton Live 5:

• all I know is I miss the MPC. Keyboards just cant emulate banging on those pads. I hear how much easier and faster the PC is but I can sample some shit and bang out a beat in no time on a mpc(compared to a PC)

• snosno 332 Posts
    I reckon there is no hard decision on which one is better, at the end of the day, anything that you feel comfortable with is cool, be it MPC or Reason.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Reason is cool and all, but I think it sounds a little thin. Its great for the money, but for my tastes it tries to do a bit too much.

If you got skills though, you can make bangers on anything. ANYTHING.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

If you got skills though, you can make bangers on anything. ANYTHING.

90% of my music is played live, so pads and controllers arent an issue for me. But i definatly prefer hardware synths over software anyday. Reason for example is a great sketch pad but tweaking those lil tiny onscreen kn obs is just retarded. that and the synth sounds thinner than swiss cheese.

• all I know is I miss the MPC. Keyboards just cant emulate banging on those pads. I hear how much easier and faster the PC is but I can sample some shit and bang out a beat in no time on a mpc(compared to a PC)

SC - you need one of these then:

MPC midi control interface for computers/software. It doesn't have as many midi controllers as the trigger finger, but is much more sturdy, and you get that classic MPC feel

• snosno 332 Posts
    I was just using Reason as an example...it sounds alright if you make the beat in Reason only, but if you rewire it to a sequencer, it sounds awful. you can use chains of VST effects to fix it, but then, it's just a waste of CPU. just sayin'.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i started out hardware, switched to computers back in 99 or so, and now im goin back to hardware
    i do like the visual aspect of makin music on a pc
    there are some software synths that come really close to the real thing too but some processes can be executed quicker on the computer than on hardware

plus its crazy cheaper, but again the sound quality and width can suffer at times going all computer

peace

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this shit is the shit nahmean

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    all I know is I miss the MPC. Keyboards just cant emulate banging on those pads. I hear how much easier and faster the PC is but I can sample some shit and bang out a beat in no time on a mpc(compared to a PC)

SC - you need one of these then:

MPC midi control interface for computers/software. It doesn't have as many midi controllers as the trigger finger, but is much more sturdy, and you get that classic MPC feel

not that i am trying to argue with everything you say prof, but those pads are dookie. i have them and they are currently on the chopping block. i think someone is going to buy them with my s5000 i am selling.

i think those pads were a nice thought when they were designing them, but the end product is far from the OG mpc pads. i did a little testing and hooked them up to my computer as well as my mpc and the pads on my mpc were MUCH more sensitive. the mpd16 pads were like hitting a table or something. the velocity sensitivity was much weaker over all. basically, i just don't like them.

those m-audio pads though, i dont know. never tried them.