Unknown (To Me) ARC Finds w/Clips

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
Another Austin Record Show has come and gone. Had a blast as usual...the highlights are always dinner and playing finds at Hotel Loopden.....Thought I'd share some of that experience.....many, many face melters were played over the course of the weekend....missed seeing Harvey but got to meet HCrink.....long and wasted 3 day weekend and am now listening to some Sunday scores and thought I'd share.

First one goes out to NZShadow.....obscure LP from Amsterdam

http://www.divshare.com/download/16028238-462

Comments

• Rockadelic said:

Hubba hubba. Sunday find?

Rich is the dudest of all the motherfather dudes. I mean DUDE. BRO.

• cool post. looking forward to checking this out later...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Man, my Friday was so incredibly bad dealing with a funeral, a broken down truck, and then a whole separate accident to boot, that going to ARC became an extreme afterthought. Hope y'all had fun wthout me.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I know a little bit about that Loving Awareness album. The band was put together in the mid-70s by Ronan O'Rahilly, who owned/ran the offshore UK pirate station Radio Caroline, as a means of promoting this quasi-hippy love-and-peace philosophy he'd devised called Loving Awareness. A couple of them - Norman Watt-Roy and Jon Turnbull - were previously in a British funk-rock band called Glencoe, the other two were keyboardist Mickey Gallagher and drummer Charley Charles. Astute readers will by now have deduced that, along with Chaz Jankel and Davey Payne, these four would later be known as the Blockheads, Ian Dury's band. Mickey Gallagher also did a stint as The Clash's touring keyboard player, and it's Norman Watt-Roy whose bass-playing you hear on The Clash's "Magnificent Seven".

Anyway, I used to listen to Radio Caroline a lot when this record was out, and they played tracks from it constantly. You could only get it via mail-order from the station itself, although it's been reissued a couple of times since. As I recall, the music is superior Dan-esque funky rock with the odd fusion flourish. I was really surprised when I found out that it was two-thirds of the Blockheads behind it.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    really like Loving Awareness. thanks for posting that R***

Hope everyone had a good time. Still missing coming down for the bi-annual pilgrimage. Hope everyone turned up loads of great stuff.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

LA Area record from 1979. Got a good disco, modern feel to it. Something I've had and not kept. It's typical value is about $30-$40

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    I know a little bit about that Loving Awareness album. The band was put together in the mid-70s by Ronan O'Rahilly, who owned/ran the offshore UK pirate station Radio Caroline, as a means of promoting this quasi-hippy love-and-peace philosophy he'd devised called Loving Awareness. A couple of them - Norman Watt-Roy and Jon Turnbull - were previously in a British funk-rock band called Glencoe, the other two were keyboardist Mickey Gallagher and drummer Charley Charles. Astute readers will by now have deduced that, along with Chaz Jankel and Davey Payne, these four would later be known as the Blockheads, Ian Dury's band. Mickey Gallagher also did a stint as The Clash's touring keyboard player, and it's Norman Watt-Roy whose bass-playing you hear on The Clash's "Magnificent Seven".

Anyway, I used to listen to Radio Caroline a lot when this record was out, and they played tracks from it constantly. You could only get it via mail-order from the station itself, although it's been reissued a couple of times since. As I recall, the music is superior Dan-esque funky rock with the odd fusion flourish. I was really surprised when I found out that it was two-thirds of the Blockheads behind it.

Cool...thanks for the info.....I'm digging this a lot more than the Popsike prog-rock description lead me to believe I would.

HarveyCanal said:
    Man, my Friday was so incredibly bad dealing with a funeral, a broken down truck, and then a whole separate accident to boot, that going to ARC became an extreme afterthought. Hope y'all had fun wthout me.

Sorry to hear that R.....we'll have to share that cobbler in the Spring.

GenePontecorvo said:

Hubba hubba. Sunday find?

Rich is the dudest of all the motherfather dudes. I mean DUDE. BRO.

The whole three days just run together.......thanks for helping out the kid.....hope it didn't put you in a spot.

b/w

Companion coming your way