Drum Braek ID

BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
There is no info on the ANY WHERE online about the source of this braek.

The drum break comes in at the 0:14 mark over top of the "Think" snare sample. I know the drum pattern was not played / programed because there are a few other records from this genre that used it as well, the same way. This has been buggin me since this 2 Bad Mice record came out in '91. WHAT THE HELL IS IT??

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Here's another record that used it.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Stone Roses? There was a popular battle breaks record around that time with Fools Gold on. All those rave dudes were ex-bedroom hip hop DJs.

• the vibrettes.
    but chances are 2 bad mice jacked it from mc mello 'busy rhymin' where its wide open.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    doh. I forgot about that one. It used to get mentioned a lot on here!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Nah, that's not the Roses. And that Warrior Breaks battle record is where the Roses got the loop that Reni played over for Fool's Gold. This is from some rare groove/Dingwalls jazz staple - something like Be Black Baby or Charles Earland's Letha, although it's neither of those. It's going to drive me mad now.

EDIT: That's a relief.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Breez said:
    There is no info on the ANY WHERE online about the source of this braek.

you need to step up your Google game. I searched for "2 bad mice hold it down drum break" and it came up on the second page.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Mek_Jagger said:

the vibrettes.
    but chances are 2 bad mice jacked it from mc mello 'busy rhymin' where its wide open.

That's it, "Humpty Dump". I can finally put that to rest.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Nah, that's not the Roses. And that Warrior Breaks battle record is where the Roses got the loop that Reni played over for Fool's Gold. This is from some rare groove/Dingwalls jazz staple - something like Be Black Baby or Charles Earland's Letha, although it's neither of those. It's going to drive me mad now.

EDIT: That's a relief.

It's Bobby Byrd - Hot Pant's I'm Coming. But I think you are right in that it's some kind of edit as the original 45 doesn't have the break open. I could be wrong though, did it come out on a Bobby Byrd album? As I never worked out how Marley looped just the drums for Big Daddy Kane's Raw. That said, a Bonus Beats extended version came out on some Urban pressing, in (I assume) the early 90's.

Sorry to dredge this up but I was just searching to see if anyone had posted that the Stone Roses have reformed....