Beef Stew Recipe Strut

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
i know there is no defintive answer but ,i want to make a giant beef stew that i can freeze, and i was wondering what culinary advice the strut can offer

here is what i am working with thus far:

-few pounds of beef cut in largish chunks
-carrots
-parsnips
-turnips
-celery
-leeks
-potatoes
-mushrooms
-beef broth
-can of peas
-wrocesteshire sauce
-hp sauce
-variety of dry spices

questions:

-coat beef in flour?
-what other veggies do i want in there?
-fry veggies (or just onions) first or everything all in the pot at once?
- roux or no roux? if roux, at what point in the cooking process?
-bacon?
-fresh dill? fresh other spices?
-dry mustard?

any other constructive bits of advice or actual recipes are def. appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've been really liking celery root in stews and soups.

I wouldn't be afraid to saute everything in spices.

If it were my stew there would be no can of peas.

No coating in flour.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    fresh thyme
    i am of the coat your beef school
    whole all spice bag you then remove
    saut??e your mirepoix

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Dill with beef is interesting....is this a regular occurence in beef stew or certain regional cooking?

• bassie said:
    Dill with beef is interesting....is this a regular occurence in beef stew or certain regional cooking?

it may be a regional thing. maybe it would be better as a garnish. anyhow, i am not wedded to the fresh dill if it will throw anyting off.

anybody want to weigh in on the roux?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I haven't had beef in 20+ years, so I am definitely not the best person to air an opinion, but it seems rosemary, parsley or green onions would work as better garnishes, the rosemary and/or parsley even cooked in .

Yes to celery and thyme.
    You might consider a fresh scotchbonnet or some cayenne in the foundational saute for some heat.

Harvey's step-by-step roux photos looked proper.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I'm with PCMR on the mirepoix. Has to include celery and parsley root, leek, onions and carrots all chopped in very fine cubes. Then roasted in 50% olive oil and 50 % butter until they're browned.
    I usually start frying the beef at highest temperature and then take it out of the pot and start with the mirepoix adding the beef after it's brown and then deglaze it with a lot of red wine.
    Thyme and rosemary are great but be sure to add some leaves of laurel to. In winter one or two cloves.
    Some fresh red peppers are great in there and fresh parsley thrown in right before serving adds a lot of colour to your dish. Sometimes I like to add some dried mushrooms, if possible porcini.
    Can of peas? No.
    Coating in flour? No.
    Definitely no dill in this composition of ingredients.

You might consider to take this in a more north-african direction by adding cinnamon, cumin and cilantro and harissa paste for the hotness.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    If you're looking for a classic American-style beef stew, I'd say no bacon. But as a man who loves classic beef stew as well as beef bourguignon, you could add some heavy bourguignon-inspired goodness by rendering bacon, browning the beef (stew beef) in the rendered fat, then tossing in two shots of cognac and lighting it on fire to burn off the alcohol. If you're going that route you might as well add a heady red wine to your liquids. And thyme. Classic or bourguignon-style, definitely plenty of fresh thyme.

disco_che said:

You might consider to take this in a more north-african direction by adding cinnamon, cumin and cilantro and harissa paste for the hotness.

If you make it more North African, or Indian, or Asian, and it is spicy...
    That is when I would add yogurt and dill as a garnish.

I like garnishes with soups/stews.

I think Bassie called them right.

If it is more savory than spicy try this garnish:
    Yogurt blended with
    figs in the blender
    +
    bacon
    hot pepper

A lot going on, sour/sweet/savory/salty/hot but I think it will work and will compliment a savory beef stew.

I second red wine in a savory beef stew.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If you flour your Beef you wont need a roux.

Ive never used a roux my stew. Flour is just a thickening agent. Since the cooking takes a while the shit will get thick anyways.

I recommend a very decent red wine which u can use instead of beef stock.

if u do use stock make ur your own. Cop some bones.

batmon said:

Hells yes. You can make a much better beef/chicken/veggie stock with nothing more than bones and vegetable ends than you could ever buy. And for less than you'd pay to buy stock most of the time.

• great input so far...

wine instead of stock or wine and stock?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

Hells yes. You can make a much better beef/chicken/veggie stock with nothing more than bones and vegetable ends than you could ever buy. And for less than you'd pay to buy stock most of the time.

:necessary:

My freezer stays, well, stocked with homemade stock. It's a great thing.

crabmongerfunk said:
    great input so far...

wine instead of stock or wine and stock?

Ive seen the combo and either or.

Making a good beef stock is a whole day affair.
    If u use the right beef with a nice amount of fat u wont need the stock. It will give off enuff and mix with the acidic flav of the wine.

I would use butter and olive oil to braekdwon ur veggies. Thats enuff fat flavor with the beef right there.

Fresh Bay leaves is a must.

No mushrooms...imo. U dont need Celery, carrot,onion, and then mushrooms and parsnips. Overdose.

Its beef and friends. Thyme, Parsley, and fresh garlic. And a squirt of concentrated tomato paste. Chill with tha Dill.

Research your wine options. I once tried to cop an expensive Barolo and the wine dude talked me down.

• Do yourself a favor and use top round, do not use stew chunks.

No peas. They will just turn to mush.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Milled barley is a nice addition.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    If you have time, caramelize the leeks

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I don't think roux is needed unless you want it thick like sauce. It should be thick enough between the collogen/gelatin melting out of the beef and whatever starch that might come from the potatos. If it done and still not thick enough for you, just add a bit of slurry

• Cut your beef into 1" cubes..dice up some mirepoix..
    Put it all in a freezer bag and fill with your preferred bottle of red wine..put in the fridge over night
    Next day, separate the meat from the veg..save the wine..
    Coat the beef in flour..
    Cook beef in stock pot until browned..remove
    Add the veg..saute a few minutes
    Deglaze with reserved wine
    Reduce by 1/2
    Add beef stock..add the beef back in
    Add a boquet garni (peppercorns. thyme.garlic all wrapped up in cheese cloth)
    bring to boil
    reduce heat
    cover.. simmer 4 hours

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    the quintessential herb for stews is missing so far: Marojam, dried or fresh.
    I always add some nutmeg as well.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    You should as well try the bavarian version of it. It is called "Pichelsteiner Eintopf" and it's
    very delicious especially on cold winter days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pichelsteiner

http://www.br-online.de/bayerisches-fernsehen/winter-im-bayerischen-wald/bayerischer-wald-video-pichelsteiner-ID1301926993853.xml?_requestid=88562

Sorry, I couldn't find a english version. But I think it is good enough to get an idea how it's done.

"Pichelsteiner Eintopf"

I would rename it before eating it.

LaserWolf said:
    "Pichelsteiner Eintopf"

:NO:

But i guess it's hard to pronounce for english speakers. I would love to hear your take on the pronounciation, though.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    finelikewine said:

Sorry, I couldn't find a english version. But I think it is good enough to get an idea how it's done.

Would this recipe be fairly accurate?

finelikewine said:
    LaserWolf said:
    "Pichelsteiner Eintopf"

But i guess it's hard to pronounce for english speakers. I would love to hear your take on the pronounciation, though.

I think he means the name doesn't sound appetizing. I'm of German heritage and took German in college, and as a native English speaker, I can tell you most native English speakers don't find German to be an attractive language to the ear. Ich liebe dich is a lovely sentiment, but to native English speakers, it sounds like someone trying to say "I love dick" while clearing their throat.

Snagglepus said:
    finelikewine said:

Would this recipe be fairly accurate?

That seems right, but this one is without cabbage. Cabbage is not mandatory anyway.

DB_Cooper said:
    finelikewine said:
    LaserWolf said:
    "Pichelsteiner Eintopf"

I think he means the name doesn't sound appetizing. I'm of German heritage and took German in college, and as a native English speaker, I can tell you most native English speakers don't find German to be an attractive language to the ear. Ich liebe dich is a lovely sentiment, but to native English speakers, it sounds like someone trying to say "I love dick" while clearing their throat.

Pleasant sounding or not, as long as you can create words like this everything is fine in my book:

"Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizit??tenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft"

(English: Association for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services)

Prepping for an all day cook steez tmmw.... Gonna be rainy on Wed. Run to the market. Then go vote(no homo).

Beef and Lamb stew meat
    I coppin some fresh carrots from the market tmmw morning
    Celery and onions and potatoes
    Fresh chicken stock....too lazy to cop some beef bones for a beef stock
    Cotes Du Rhone wine - whole bottle
    Fresh thyme and bay leaf
    Orange Zest and one habanero pepper
    Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
    Splash of worcerstershire
    Tomato paste and..... a can of whole tomatoes( this will be a last minute decision cause i dont want too much tomato flavor).
    Fresh parsley near the end
    Im gonna dry then sprinkle the meat in Chinese Five Spice powder tonite.

yadda yadda yadda....

• cool. i would nix can o tomatoes. you get plenty of flavour from the paste. also, no bacon fat?

this thread really helped me improve my stew-making abiltiies.