1st 2 weeks of NBA seaso cancelled

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
Just heard the news. Very disappointing. I was really looking forward to this season with a new coach for the Warriors. The two sides appear to be far apart. From my understanding, the small time markets are losing money, and together all the owners are blaming the players for their large salaries. Many say a more effective revenue sharing deal between the rich and poor owners would actually solve the problem, but the big market teams don't want to share and its so easy to just go after the players. I expect the dispute to eventually end and the season to be played but it looks like a substantial number of games will be lost in the meantime.

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    so lame. was looking forward to this season as well.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fake season. 40 games. Miami vs Thunder in the fake Finals.

Fans deem Durant, Wade, and LeBoring as GOAT.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts

• Yeah, this sucks. I say cut the WNBA and use that money.

• of course the lock out happens the year i decide to buy season tickets.... figures.

• last time this happen the KNICKS went to the finals , hope history repeats itself

• Such terrible news.

Glad to see another WARRIORS fan in here though. All around I think the NBA has so much talent, that is undoubtedly gonna be wasted with a short season.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    countmacula said:
    Yeah, this sucks. I say cut the WNBA and use that money.

Seconded.

b/w

Is the WNBA still giving out the "Attendance Champion" award?

• more of this

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    haha. you said "poor" teams.
    no such thing.
    millionaires vs. billionaires.

screw em.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    It should be noted that the claim that the small market teams are losing money is only a claim. The NBA refuses to open its books to show this. They could actually still be making profits, just not as much as before. That could be because of the recession, paying too much to buy the franchise, etc. It's just other reasons why the owners argument about blaming the players for this doesn't cut it.

• motown67 said:
    From my understanding, the small time markets are losing money, and together all the owners are blaming the players for their large salaries. Many say a more effective revenue sharing deal between the rich and poor owners would actually solve the problem, but the big market teams don't want to share and its so easy to just go after the players..

The NYT has a good piece on this today. The real issue, it seems, is the fact that the NBA does not have a hard salary cap. You can break the cap as long as you pay a luxury tax. The result is that the Lakers pay out over $100 million in salaries while some teams pay less than half of that amount. Clearly, the low end market teams are disadvantaged in that respect.

The split over revenues b/w the players and the owners is the other major beef, but they don't seem too far apart.

I would love to see the NBA owners announce that they are holding tryouts so that the league can resume in the event that an agreement is not reached with the union. I'd pay a reduced ticket price to see locals play against locals, even if there is sub-par talent.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    good thing for FANTASY BASKETBALL

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Ultimately the fans lose however It's also unfortunate for local businesses that surround these stadiums. Here in Orlando a small market parking garages and bars that surround the stadium count on home games to keep the lights on, sucks to be them I guess. I'm extra salty because we are supposed to host the all star game AND this is Dwight's last season under contract. They better fix it even tho no matter what happens the season is already tainted.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    motown67 said:
    From my understanding, the small time markets are losing money, and together all the owners are blaming the players for their large salaries. Many say a more effective revenue sharing deal between the rich and poor owners would actually solve the problem, but the big market teams don't want to share and its so easy to just go after the players..

The NYT has a good piece on this today. The real issue, it seems, is the fact that the NBA does not have a hard salary cap. You can break the cap as long as you pay a luxury tax. The result is that the Lakers pay out over $100 million in salaries while some teams pay less than half of that amount. Clearly, the low end market teams are disadvantaged in that respect.

The split over revenues b/w the players and the owners is the other major beef, but they don't seem too far apart.

I would love to see the NBA owners announce that they are holding tryouts so that the league can resume in the event that an agreement is not reached with the union. I'd pay a reduced ticket price to see locals play against locals, even if there is sub-par talent.

I'd also watch this.

b/w

It's time to start the 4 foot and under league!

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    YNOT said:
    Ultimately the fans lose however It's also unfortunate for local businesses that surround these stadiums. Here in Orlando a small market parking garages and bars that surround the stadium count on home games to keep the lights on, sucks to be them I guess. I'm extra salty because we are supposed to host the all star game AND this is Dwight's last season under contract. They better fix it even tho no matter what happens the season is already tainted.

DC and the Verizon Center will be fine thanks to the Capitals.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    motown67 said:

I'd also watch this.

b/w

It's time to start the 4 foot and under league!

Obviously we'd all like to see some games, but this simply is not going to happen. That would require the owners to pay people to pay, and not paying the players is one of their main pressure points against the union.

• DIGGADIGGA said:
    last time this happen the KNICKS went to the finals , hope history repeats itself
    ha ha