fixing skips

soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
fixing skips on records: anybody ever do this? I just managed to repair 4 records using the various methods found with a quick google search. my mind is blown. or is this a waaay latte pass.

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

• soundsreal said:
    I just managed to repair 4 records using the various methods found with a quick google search.

do tell.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:

do tell.
    +1

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have had success before going just past the skip (needle gets stuck kind) and back cueing.

The record already has a skip so no worry about ruining the record.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    jjfad027 said:

Yep, I've done groove surgery with a needle and a magnifying glass before, with success.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah, the back cueing thing has fixed many a skipping record. In one case i wore the fuck out of a record I had with a skip and ruinned it before discovering (with successive purchases) that all copies of said record had a skip in this particular spot. But yeah... if it has a skip i roll the dice, since it's worth the risk of fucking it up even more in most cases.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yeah I gotta go with back-cueing being a success also. I'm surprised at my success rate, it seems the only skips it doesn't fix are the ones where it's a pressing flaw or whatever ... but scratchy 45s that have a skip are pretty universally fixed by this method in my experience. usually end up with a "pop" in it's place, though sometimes not even that. it can't be good for your needle, though, as the most effective way to do it is to press down firmly on the cart while back-spinning slowly.

• A friend taught me this method.

Bring the needle to right before the skip let the record play and right before the skip push down lightly on the stylus and then release after the section where the skip occurs. If it doesnt work try again pushing down harder.

90% of the skips i tried to fix have been corrected by this method. I also dont recommend using brand new needles for this process.

• mumbosauce said:
    A friend taught me this method.

Bring the needle to right before the skip let the record play and right before the skip push down lightly on the stylus and then release after the section where the skip occurs. If it doesnt work try again pushing down harder.

90% of the skips i tried to fix have been corrected by this method. I also dont recommend using brand new needles for this process.

I meant push down on cartridge

• TheKindCromang said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

do tell.
    +1

seems like I've been beaten to the telling. I just repaired a couple more with a combination of the back cue-ing and heavy weight methods. All I've done is to go to the spot just past the skip, place a nickel on top of the headshell, and wind it backwards through the skipping part. If it doesn't work the first time it'll work after the second or third. I also tried the needle and magnifying glass method as well, and yes it worked, but seems like too much trouble when a simpler way will do. Maybe this method is for really bad skips? Anyways I have noticed however that there will be a decrease in the quality of sound for the spot where the skip was, so its not like good as new or anything. Still though.