What is this "soft" shit?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
So...just who is "soft" and therefore, undeserving of respect? So far, the SS list seems to have the following included:Digable PlanetsCommonWho else is soft? And by extension, who isn't? And what, exactly, is wrong with soft?

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    So...just who is "soft" and therefore, undeserving of respect? So far, the SS list seems to have the following included:

Digable Planets
    Common

Who else is soft?
    And by extension, who isn't?

And what, exactly, is wrong with soft?

Native tongues, anybody that could possibly be friends with someone on Soulstrut. Anybody ungangsta or any rappers who don't buy their shirts 3 to a shrink wrapped plastic pack.

• BEP

• Options
    Ask your wife.

K.

• I guess some heads haven't been up on the mellow shit. Everything gotta be soft if its not Fitty or crunk. I guess you a pussy if you use live instruments and don't rhyme about menages or crack deals.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    So...just who is "soft" and therefore, undeserving of respect? So far, the SS list seems to have the following included:

Digable Planets
    Common

Who else is soft?

I used to love Common Sense. Nowadays this drooling cuddly bear named Common bugs the fuck out of me.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Me Phi Mi, ask dude who's roommate got his gf stolen by MPM though, and you might hear otherwise.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Digable Planets
    Common

Who else is soft?

I used to love Common Sense. Nowadays this drooling cuddly bear named Common bugs the fuck out of me.

But he was a guest star on "Girlfriends" with Saul Williams.
    "Girlfriends" = hard(ie hood validation)

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    any rappers who don't buy their shirts 3 to a shrink wrapped plastic pack.

Pro Clubs don't come wrapped in plastic homie.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

Digable Planets
    Common

Who else is soft?

Thought about this the other day too. It feels like a whole style of beats totally dissapeared and that makes me sad. In the 90s we had mellow jazzy samples, mixed with hard drums. Today we just have mellow jazzy samples mixed with Kenny G drums. What happend?

Theres nothing wrong with soft but I have to say, I'm real tired of this new trendy "soft". If you know what I mean?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

Digable Planets
    Common

Who else is soft?

Thought about this the other day too. It feels like a whole style of beats totally dissapeared and that makes me sad. In the 90s we had mellow jazzy samples, mixed with hard drums. Today we just have mellow jazzy samples mixed with Kenny G drums. What happend?

Theres nothing wrong with soft but I have to say, I'm real tired of this new trendy "soft". If you know what I mean?

id have to agree.

and on a similar note i am "feelin" that BEP best buy commercial. the corny music, mixed with the bad effects, mixed with the long hair dude. i mean, the long hair dude alone is hours of entertainment. i like his dancing, his outfits, his weird positive hip hop posturing. he's "fresh"!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Um, I think we need to calm down here. "Soft" is just a way of saying "wack." It's not like we all don't like some smooth, mellow shit, it's just shit that is good as well as smooth and mellow leaves the realm of "smooth and mellow" and enters the realm of .

Ya dig?

-e

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Digable Planets
    Common

Who else is soft?

If you really have to ask what the problem is with rapping in a sleeveless crochet hoodie, then no explanation is going to suffice...

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Um, I think we need to calm down here. "Soft" is just a way of saying "wack." It's not like we all don't like some smooth, mellow shit, it's just shit that is good as well as smooth and mellow leaves the realm of "smooth and mellow" and enters the realm of .

Ya dig?

-e

Nah, not to me. Soft is some weak ass shit. It's like a group of hooks, getting their jackets vicked for not claiming a set. Some soft rappers sound really good IMO.

That's how I've been using the term in relation to music since I first heard the Digable Planets in '92.

• thiknekthiknek 65 Posts

lord willin'

and sometimes i think this dude... But I respect the game anyways

• I bought "The Corner" 12" and I like it.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Ya dig?

-e

Nah, not to me. Soft is some weak ass shit. It's like a group of hooks, getting their jackets vicked for not claiming a set. Some soft rappers sound really good IMO.

That's how I've been using the term in relation to music since I first heard the Digable Planets in '92.

The above makes absolutely no sense to me.

-e

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    rapping in a sleeveless crochet hoodie,

plaese to jpeg. i need proof.

rapping in a sleeveless crochet hoodie,

plaese to jpeg. i need proof.

See Common's "Ghetto Heaven Part II" video... sorry, no jpeg available online.

• So...just who is "soft" and therefore, undeserving of respect? So far, the SS list seems to have the following included:

Digable Planets
    Common

Who else is soft?

If you really have to ask what the problem is with rapping in a sleeveless crochet hoodie, then no explanation is going to suffice...

There is something about being with Erykah Badu that makes a man wear crocheted hats and shirts and shit. She did it to Andre too. That shit doesn't just wear off either. The worst shit I can think of is that song he did where he's doing the drawings and looking up at the girl in the window in the video. Its just so self indulgent and self satisfied. My question is, are there stores selling this stuff? Or are they like things Erykah made personally, because the likes to see her man in crocheted accessories?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    doods, if ya dont have a photo of yourself holding an invisible glock and ice grilling then you are soft, it doesnt matter what your record sounds like..it is all about looking hard and where you are from...respect is all about that. dont yall know that yet? Respect is something you demand, not earn. you soft muhfuggers.

Digable Planets
    Common

Who else is soft?

There is something about being with Erykah Badu that makes a man wear crocheted hats and shirts and shit. She did it to Andre too. That shit doesn't just wear off either. The worst shit I can think of is that song he did where he's doing the drawings and looking up at the girl in the window in the video. Its just so self indulgent and self satisfied. My question is, are there stores selling this stuff? Or are they like things Erykah made personally, because the likes to see her man in crocheted accessories?

He has a stylist--Ashaka Givens--meaning that he actually pays somebody to put him in that sh!t. And for all you little dudes that think my knowledge of Common's stylist is AYO-worthy: I only know her name because he shouted her out on one of his records.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "soft" = no audio safari

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Is there a difference between 'soft' and 'introspective' ?

If not, how would you classify this:

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

• Is there a difference between 'soft' and 'introspective' ?

Guys, "soft" is not a blanket term for anything that ain't gangsta... it refers specifically to rappers that are on some cornball Maxwell sh!t.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Are we talking about going soft (I'm gonna go ahead and "aye-yo" this before Moist does) or dudes who were soft off the bat?

I mean were Digable Planets ever not soft? I think the organic typa jazzy no stress vibe was the essence of their appeal...

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Soft meaning bad on the Strut these days. If you are growing as an artist and person and you are not afraid to show it than you are soft like Common. If you are an ignorant cunt that does everything to make more money and more money like Fitty than you are hard. And you are making the better rap records.

It's nothing new but it really gets on my nerves to read about it here.

Personally I'm all into soft artists like Curtis and Al Green and will always BE.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Personally I'm all into soft artists like Curtis and Al Green and will always BE.

TRUE DAT!