What is a good way to gage the price of a record? (novice seller - R)

BruceGeetzBruceGeetz 97 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
Pockets are a bit tight these days, and I have decided that I can live with selling some pieces to knock out some bills.

Where do you guys look up prices at? Discogs? Popsike? Gemm?

Or I guess the better question would be, how do you decide what to price a record? Obviously condition factors in, but to what extent?

I apologize if I sound vague, but I'm really a newbie when it comes to sales. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    collectorsfrenzy.com and popsike.com

• BruceGeetz said:
    Pockets are a bit tight these days, and I have decided that I can live with selling some pieces to knock out some bills.

Where do you guys look up prices at? Discogs? Popsike? Gemm?

Or I guess the better question would be, how do you decide what to price a record? Obviously condition factors in, but to what extent?

I apologize if I sound vague, but I'm really a newbie when it comes to sales. Any help would be appreciated!

I think selling is a giant pain in the ass, and I have a lot of respect for the patience of those who do it regularly. But since this a a value question rather than a selling one I'll throw in my 2 cents as a buyer. Things like popsike and collector's frenzy are really only ever of any use at all for records that are higher value in my experience, and even then only if the listing you find is recent. Discogs is useful because even if the prices you find on there don't reflect the real value of a record, it still tells you at what price and condition somebody else is selling the same record you are, and where they wlll go to buy it if you ask more than the other guy. Obviously this applies only to more common pieces.

For condition, as a general rule, no one wants a common record that is less than EX and many don't even want medium raers less than at least VG+. Don't waste your time with crap condition records unless they're at least remotely raer AND desirable. If you do go that way though, cut your price by 50% for every down-grading. For example if a record is $100 at NM don't expect to get more than $50 at VG+, and possibly $25 at VG if you are VERY lucky. This is for the condition of the vinyl itself, ideas on how much the value changes relating to the condition of the cover vary a little more widely.

Good luck, and show your appreciation for the community that helps you out by posting set sales of your stuff here in advance of throwing them up on the bay etc. You're also more likely to avoid chargebacks and hassles that way and to keep the good karma flowing.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Condition is everything.

• Condition is not everything. It's one of many factors that come into play. The three most expensive records I ever sold were all VG or worse.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Auction them on eBay for maximum profit. And you don't have to price them--the market does it for you.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Auction them on eBay for maximum profit. And you don't have to price them--the market does it for you.

Meh.

Records under $20 or so are not worth it, imo. In fact, the vast majority of records are not worth selling on eBay at all.

• Horseleech said:
    Reynaldo said:

Meh.

Records under $20 or so are not worth it, imo. In fact, the vast majority of records are not worth selling on eBay at all.

not worth buying on ebay either. what's the use in paying shipping to get a deal on a $10 record that ends up costing more than its worth.

• kidinquisitive said:
    Condition is not everything. It's one of many factors that come into play. The three most expensive records I ever sold were all VG or worse.

what were they?

• If you are going to sell on EBay, see what the completed listings went for on EBay.

• If you have a large amount of stuff to research there is a service called terapeak
    That works incredible. To tell you the truth these days it lowers most of my prices rather
    Than raise them but that's just of a reflecton of the market. Costs about 30 bucks
    A month but you can subscibe a month at a time. Its basically just completed listings
    On steroids

• Horseleech said:

Meh.

how so?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Check Popsike. Find the lowest price for the condition of your record. Subtract 20%.

If it does not show up on Popsike, $5.

BallzDeep said:
    Horseleech said:

Meh.

how so?

If you're a new seller, people won't even bid on your records unless they are something special. You'll just go through all the trouble for nothing.

The fact is that a new seller who is selling average records is not in a position to "maximize their profits" and trying to do so will usually result in wasted effort and unsold records. It takes time and effort to be able to get top dollar consistently - nobody becomes Djukic overnight. I've been a well-known seller for years and I can't tell you how many times I've gotten good $$ for a record at the same time an unknown seller has a similar copy up that goes for nothing.

If you have grails, then sell them on ebay. Otherwise, have a stoop sale, trade them with friends, have a set sale here or Waxidermy, or sell them to a reputable store.

Pricing is an art that can't be taught in a forum, but make them a price that is a bit less than you would be willing to pay and you'll do OK. If you agonize over getting top dollar, you won't.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    kidinquisitive said:
    Condition is not everything. It's one of many factors that come into play. The three most expensive records I ever sold were all VG or worse.

Agreed. I've made a lot of money on VG and even VG- records. eBay is an unpredictable marketplace where timing and luck can play a big role.

maru said:
    kidinquisitive said:

Agreed. I've made a lot of money on VG and even VG- records. eBay is an unpredictable marketplace where timing and luck can play a big role.

And this varies enormously from genre to genre.

NM $1000 Northern Soul 45 = $850 in VG
    NM $1000 Beatles record = $50 in VG
    NM $1000 Classical record = $10 in VG

• Horseleech said:
    BallzDeep said:
    Horseleech said:

Meh.

how so?

If you're a new seller, people won't even bid on your records unless they are something special. You'll just go through all the trouble for nothing.

The fact is that a new seller who is selling average records is not in a position to "maximize their profits" and trying to do so will usually result in wasted effort and unsold records. It takes time and effort to be able to get top dollar consistently - nobody becomes Djukic overnight. I've been a well-known seller for years and I can't tell you how many times I've gotten good $$ for a record at the same time an unknown seller has a similar copy up that goes for nothing.

If you have grails, then sell them on ebay. Otherwise, have a stoop sale, trade them with friends, have a set sale here or Waxidermy, or sell them to a reputable store.

Pricing is an art that can't be taught in a forum, but make them a price that is a bit less than you would be willing to pay and you'll do OK. If you agonize over getting top dollar, you won't.

i think you're talking more from the perspective of a serious seller, or store owner. right?
    i might sell a handful of records a month, ones i find for cheap and/or don't need.
    nothing wrong with a $100 in my pocket every now and then is there?

i know not exactly balleur status, but basically a little money to buy a record or two i actually want but can't find in the field.

• Thanks much guys. I appreciate all the varying opinions. This helped a lot, as I had just about no knowledge about the subject beforehand.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I think that eBay is totally the way to go. Yes, much of what you may sell will go for under $20. It's a pain to list and package all of that shit when you know you are not getting much $$ profit, believe me. But, the great thing about eBay is that you never know how things are going to end. Even crappy obscure things sell for $40 to $100 sometimes (with soundclips I might add).

If you are a new seller, I would recommend selling a grail along with a tagline saying to "SEE MY OTHER RADICAL AUCTIONS, BRO".

• Discogs is a good outlet & cheaper fees than ebay. If you are selling recs prior to 1980 I would sell on ebay. Post 1980 I would sell on discogs.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    overflo said:
    Discogs is a good outlet & cheaper fees than ebay. If you are selling recs prior to 1980 I would sell on ebay. Post 1980 I would sell on discogs.

Yes, except the year rule. This rule does not apply at all.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Post a set sale in the classified section here before going to eBay.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Regardless of how you sell records online, make sure you understand grading (both record & sleeve) very clearly before you list anything.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    If condition is sketchy, I like covering my ass with a sound clip.

• Kinetic said:
    overflo said:
    Discogs is a good outlet & cheaper fees than ebay. If you are selling recs prior to 1980 I would sell on ebay. Post 1980 I would sell on discogs.

Yes, except the year rule. This rule does not apply at all.

Discogs has an extensive database of 12"s & electronic music. Where as older soul/funk/psych/jazz/oddball 45"s not as extensive. They do have a tons of records pre 1980, but the audience (I've noticed) is paying top dollar for more modern music.

If you are selling Rap 12's, 80's music, techno 12's, dub step, drum n bass, house & so forth I would mos def go with discogs.

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    RAJ said:
    If condition is sketchy, I like covering my ass with a sound clip.

Great advice.... "what you hear is what you get!"