RIP Steve Jobs

1235»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    what would life be like if had Job's chosen a different path? I would probably be trying to get THE DRIVERS for my new Soundblaster 1000. Meh.

The personal computer wouldn't exist. What dudes are missing here, is that before Apple, computers were do-it-yourself kits that only tech nerds could assemble and use. Or they were massive corporate machines. There was no such thing as the personal computer for the layman. Apple created the mouse. Apple created the graphical user interface. Without Apple, you'd need to be writing DOS line code to use your computer right now. But you wouldn't even have one to begin with.

Apple didn???t build the first desktop computer based on a microprocessor: the Micral N and the MITS Altair predated the landmark Apple II. Steve Jobs didn???t create the mouse, either: he lifted it from a version he saw at the Xerox Parc research center in Palo Alto. George Lucas, and not Jobs, created Pixar. The Nomad Jukebox, a digital music player made by a company from Singapore, predated the iPod.

:eyeball:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    what would life be like if had Job's chosen a different path? I would probably be trying to get THE DRIVERS for my new Soundblaster 1000. Meh.

The personal computer wouldn't exist. What dudes are missing here, is that before Apple, computers were do-it-yourself kits that only tech nerds could assemble and use. Or they were massive corporate machines. There was no such thing as the personal computer for the layman. Apple created the mouse. Apple created the graphical user interface. Without Apple, you'd need to be writing DOS line code to use your computer right now. But you wouldn't even have one to begin with.

Apple didn???t build the first desktop computer based on a microprocessor: the Micral N and the MITS Altair predated the landmark Apple II. Steve Jobs didn???t create the mouse, either: he lifted it from a version he saw at the Xerox Parc research center in Palo Alto. George Lucas, and not Jobs, created Pixar. The Nomad Jukebox, a digital music player made by a company from Singapore, predated the iPod.

:eyeball:

I'll give you the mouse. My point about introducing the personal computer isn't about who created the first computer or the first computer based on a microprocessor. Apple created the personal computer. They came up with the idea that a machine that heretofore was used to crunch numbers for NASA and financial institutions could be something that the average individual would want to own for themselves. Kill him then in 1984, and he's still changed the world.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    WTF are people even arguing in this thread?

I thought this all started when people were all "Job's wasn't a visionary".

Which is utter nonsense.

Bringing up how he didn't invent or design the products that made Apple what it was.

I saw Ive's name brought up, but not mentioning a German named Dieter Rams.

I'm not sure what purpose it has trying make his achievements or the effect he's had on the way we do things around the world seem so little.

I'd love to see some of your criteria of a visionary and give 10 example in the last 50 years.

He's a interesting little known fact -

Anyone know who Sir Tim Berners-Lee is? Not very many people know that the "World Wide Web" was developed on a NeXT cube running NeXTSTEP OS. A company founded by Jobs after he was railroaded at Apple and fired. The story goes that Berners-Lee was so excited he flew to try and meet Jobs at a trade show to personally show off his work. Not saying he invented anything or was a direct result of the creation of www. But I just can understand the denial.

Some of you make it seem like he's just some rich dude who ran a company.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I'll give you the mouse. My point about introducing the personal computer isn't about who created the first computer or the first computer based on a microprocessor. Apple created the personal computer. They came up with the idea that a machine that heretofore was used to crunch numbers for NASA and financial institutions could be something that the average individual would want to own for themselves. Kill him then in 1984, and he's still changed the world.

Mouse was around long before Xerox parc or Apple - http://sloan.stanford.edu/MouseSite/1968Demo.html

What you nerds fail to realize is a good idea is only as good as its' implementation.
    And being an innovator has nothing to do with patents or copyrights.

Steve Jobs was GOAT of implementation. Of taking ideas and fleshing them out into products that are beautiful, durable and easy to use. You know why most early MP3 players sucked? Because they were hard to use. iPod, my 70 year old dad picked it up and figured it out. User experience above all.

I am seriously sick of tech geeks. Haters!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Seriously. And dudes who are on the "fuck a iPod. lol" trip are missing so many points on so many levels, I can't even begin to address them all.

You're not missing the big picture. You're missing the picture entirely. And laughing at a dead man while you do it. Life fail.

• Can't we just celebrate his innovations and contributions with a little less of the ridiculous hyperbole, though? To hear people over the past couple of days it's as if Steve Jobs was personally and singly responsible for every meaningful technological development of the past 30 years. If that's not missing the big picture, I'm not sure what is.

And yes, laughing at a dead man is completely deplorable.

• fair enough

• dude, stop.

• two years ago I dropped my son off for his first day of school. cameras, DSLRs, iPhones, Blackberries everywhere clutched by eager parents taking pictures. This year, the crowd only held iPhone 4s.

As much as that blew me away, this aside about the 5 is really throwing me:

Sales of the new iPhone could add between a quarter and half a percentage point to annualized economic growth in the fourth quarter, J.P. Morgan JPM +1.82%???s chief U.S. economist Michael Feroli estimates.