Photo request: Day, Thes, O-dub

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Is that unit in the center with the VPI permanent? Seems kinda awkwardly placed.

It's hard to tell because the photos don't really convey proper depth but I wouldn't say it's awkwardly placed. There's a 2-3' aisle between the VPI station and the DJ table. Basically, I can clean on the VPI and then literally turn around and then play the LP on my turntables. The current island takes up more space than I'd ideally like but, as noted, it's a stop-gap measure until I can build a more permanent solution. In any case, I'll probably move the VPI to behind the turntables eventually once I get the space under the loft cleared out.

Agreed that you def need a couch in there. No point in a record room if there's no room to sit and drink/read/write/grade papers/ be on soulstrut!

Ha, well, right now, the room is definitely more of a storage area than a living space. I do all my digitizing in my home office and would have moved the VPI inside if it wasn't for how damn loud the thing is (vacuum cleaning records at 10pm = not making wifey happy).

Holler if you wanna knock out that DJ console in June when I'm down there.

B/w

so so manny rhapp rheckords!

Bet b/w true.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

you get a permit for that shit?

building, and electrical. schitt we smack a thousand bucks on dudes for not pullin' electrical permits, 2000 thousand for the second time -- since the Issacs Law was put into effect.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Wow. Really great work, guys.

And to think that eight years ago, you guys were beefing in print and on wax. Now you're building together--literally!

Soulstrut: home of the happy ending.

Here's the layout of the room, btw:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    What are those shoebox-lookin black boxes?

Nice set up!

What are those shoebox-lookin black boxes?

CDs. In theory, I could also store 45s in them but they'd have to be unboxed.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Manny, are all your records on the shelves (in these pics) or do you still have stacks we don't see?

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    envious of that record room! like the man said though, a couch in there is

Manny, are all your records on the shelves (in these pics) or do you still have stacks we don't see?

Ahem

The loft space is 6 x 4 and above and below are about 60 boxes of records which still need to be sorted (purged) and then shelved

Controller_7 said:
    I want to see pictures of Oliver's shelves full of records.

Please.

It only took me about a year and a half but here you go:

Starting about six weeks ago, I finally just WENT IN on unboxing my rap records. Mind you, 95% of my hip-hop collection that been boxed since at least 2006. So far, I got through my main, alphabetized boxes Abstract Rude --> Zion I.

I lost count but I think that was probably around...40 boxes or so? I've been purging shit like a fiend and magically, all those records I kept fit exactly into the four rows of shelves I had set aside for them (the top two rows on each side).

Not quite done yet - I still have another 1000-1500 unsorted records to get through. And I still need to figure out how to get rid of the 2000 and climbing number of records I decided to purge. But damn it feels good to finally clear through the main bulk of boxes. Maybe by year's end, I'll have everything unboxed and shelved properly.

• I'd just like to say that, for the record, should said shelves collapse I place the blame on the Incan's and Mayans whom inspired said design. In all seriousness though - i really hope the floor doesn't collapse!

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    sick!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    musica said:
    Looks like heaven!

Yeah, Day, any more pics of the finalized studio?

Here's a few more recent ones. One thing I did not install was A/C, so I've been less than excited to be in there over the summer.

• Ayo! a Didgeridoo?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    (Make It) Rain Stick. Gettin' ethereal up in here.

• Yes!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    day said:
    musica said:
    Looks like heaven!

Here's a few more recent ones. One thing I did not install was A/C, so I've been less than excited to be in there over the summer.

kems has a/c in his studio but the vent is at the other end of the room and doesnt circulate well.
    he bought one of these:
    http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Heating-Cooling-Air-Quality-Air-Conditioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbv64/R-202562962/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

and it made a huge improvement. sometimes its a little too cold now. that could be and alternative.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Lumin said:
    day said:
    musica said:
    Looks like heaven!

kems has a/c in his studio but the vent is at the other end of the room and doesnt circulate well.
    he bought one of these:
    http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Heating-Cooling-Air-Quality-Air-Conditioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbv64/R-202562962/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

and it made a huge improvement. sometimes its a little too cold now. that could be and alternative.

Word? I've been looking for an alternative besides dropping G's and having to cut a hole in the wall. That might be it. Gracias

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,084 Posts
    day said:
    cut a hole in the wall

I purchase HVAC equipment for contractors all day and I can tell you that this will give you nothing but headaches down the road if one of those parts fails or you have to get a whole new unit. And the spending thousands part, too, of course.