October finds

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
mythical raer! Over the last few years I had begun to think that it didnt really exist...only in acetate form perhaps, but it does!

Comments

• JroamJroam 257 Posts

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

^^obviously i like a very goofy range of records including acetates of people being honored "fa helpin' da re-tahh-ted community" (quote from the emcee)

^^Wayne and Horace are clean 1st presses, but Sonny is a fake "e" stereo late press with special bonus dog chew. aw yeah.

^^the sound image thing is really cool, w/ set of photos and stuff. avant garde classical/experimental music.

^^this is more terrible than it looks.

the next 3 45s are the winning pulls for sure.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• From the last week -

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    local finds including a jazz score and a convention, some mailbox and a grail

• The Sound Effects- "Scorpio"

Bob Brooks - "Winnipeg Connection"

Dr. Music - "Rollin' Home"

pcmr said:

I've had 2 LP's by Llans and they both had James Brown covers .....nice score.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thanks the variety and the strength of the playing on this album amazes me

• found this little gem today

Attached files

Attached files

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

Pasadena City College Swap Meet yesterday...

I'm really happy about the Arthur Gee as I previously had a reel of just the second side. In minty condition like the EWF and Palmieri.

45s are Barbara Mason "Yes, It's You / "Just a Little Lovin'" on National General, The Vikings "I Ain't Got You" / "Blue Feeling" on Star Rhythm (recorded in '65, but from a '80 comp of Mass. state garage rock), Tommie Young "Do You Still Feel The Same Way" / "Everybody Got A Little Devil In Their Soul", Roy C "Open Letter to the President" / "Got To Get Enough" and a couple of store-made 78 RPM acetates of people talking.

• Electrode said:

Pasadena City College Swap Meet yesterday...

I'm really happy about the Arthur Gee as I previously had a reel of just the second side. In minty condition like the EWF and Palmieri.

45s are Barbara Mason "Yes, It's You / "Just a Little Lovin'" on National General, The Vikings "I Ain't Got You" / "Blue Feeling" on Star Rhythm (recorded in '65, but from a '80 comp of Mass. state garage rock), Tommie Young "Do You Still Feel The Same Way" / "Everybody Got A Little Devil In Their Soul", Roy C "Open Letter to the President" / "Got To Get Enough" and a couple of store-made 78 RPM acetates of people talking.

Nice finds man! How early did you have to get there?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I arrived at 9. It 'starts' at 8, but it often looks like both sellers and buyers in general are in full swing by the first hour of sun.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

A Train

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    mythical raer! Over the last few years I had begun to think that it didnt really exist...only in acetate form perhaps, but it does!

What's the deal?
    Most El Saturn 45s I know are doo wop.
    A Little Mack had an R&B single on Checker.
    Same guy?

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

What's the deal?
    Same guy?

I think the musical director is the significant name...

• Dolo76Dolo76 64 Posts
    Some solid cheap finds

• Dolo76Dolo76 64 Posts
    Dolo76 said:
    Some solid cheap finds

• Dolo76Dolo76 64 Posts
    DELETE

Otis_Funkmeyer said:

What's the deal with this one?

Kadink said:
    LaserWolf said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

What's the deal?
    Same guy?

The people who buy the doo wop 45s on El Saturn don't care that the musical director is Sun Ra.
    That Sun Ra had a rock and roll 45 label is certainly part of the strangles of Sun Ra but not what makes the 45s collectable.
    In my experience there is little interest in these 45s among Sun Ra collectors.

• IFBIFB 29 Posts
    Found a bunch of Polish records at a couple different thrifts. Some of them are pretty trashed, but I'm looking forward to listening to these

• Rockadelic said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

Raw instrumental funk with a party-in-the-studio vibe.

• Here's what I've found the past few days...

• LaserWolf said:
    Kadink said:
    LaserWolf said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

What's the deal?
    Same guy?

The people who buy the doo wop 45s on El Saturn don't care that the musical director is Sun Ra.
    That Sun Ra had a rock and roll 45 label is certainly part of the strangles of Sun Ra but not what makes the 45s collectable.

I came upon the song hearing it on the Sun Ra:The Singles 2CD set that came out in the 90s...the Little Mack is a fantastic, minor keyed R&B number. Seeing how the only Sun Ra R&B 45 I could ever dig up over the last 10 years were boots of the Cosmic Ray's doo-wop 45, I had begun to think that many of them only existed perhaps as acetates and I sort of stopped looking for this particular one as I thought it futile. Then this one old-school mail in auction that sends out a catalog a couple times a year had it listed, I kinda freaked out and placed a large bid on it and luckily it was off other bidder's radar and I won it.
    I am still curious to how rare it actually is..Im thinking it has to be quite raer as the only mention of it online is a couple comps it is on and there are no OGs on popsike or CF and no mention of the 45 in playlists, etc.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

Has this been comped? I know I've heard this some where.
    b/w
    :face_melt:

• Breez said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

Has this been comped? I know I've heard this some where.
    b/w
    :face_melt:

Yes, on:

Instrumental Explosion: Incendiary Funk and R&B Instrumentals 1966-1973 (BGP)

and at least one more that I can't think of at the moment.

The_Hook_Up said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Kadink said:
    LaserWolf said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

What's the deal?
    Same guy?

I came upon the song hearing it on the Sun Ra:The Singles 2CD set that came out in the 90s...the Little Mack is a fantastic, minor keyed R&B number. Seeing how the only Sun Ra R&B 45 I could ever dig up over the last 10 years were boots of the Cosmic Ray's doo-wop 45, I had begun to think that many of them only existed perhaps as acetates and I sort of stopped looking for this particular one as I thought it futile. Then this one old-school mail in auction that sends out a catalog a couple times a year had it listed, I kinda freaked out and placed a large bid on it and luckily it was off other bidder's radar and I won it.
    I am still curious to how rare it actually is..Im thinking it has to be quite raer as the only mention of it online is a couple comps it is on and there are no OGs on popsike or CF and no mention of the 45 in playlists, etc.

That is so cool. Glad you got it. Waiting to hear it.