How old do you feel?

2»

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I always felt old. I guess everybody in their teens can't wait to be older but even when I was in my 20s I couldn't wait to get past 30. Being young is vastly overrated and I'd rather give up a leg or an arm then be 25 again.

Roc made some great points about doing what truly fulfills you and what you really want to do. To me, this (and the process of figuring out whatever it is that fulfills you) is what it's all about. I'm in my mid 40s now and have done everything I ever dreamt of doing when I was in my 20s plus a shit ton of stuff I couldn't have phantasized about back then not even in my wildest dreams. I managed to avoid responsibilities and traps like a steady job, career, family, house ownership (or ownership of pretty much anything) and the appeal of those things becomes more alien with every year that passes...

I don't care much about appearance anymore... I guess I dress much more youthful or casual or whatever you want to call it than when I was in my 20s and 30s. Back then I rarely wore anything else besides black suits and vintage dress shirts. Not that I'd want to try and look youthful now but I already am old so I don't have to dress old anymore. Physically, I feel young. I'm in better shape than 10 or 15 years back. I work out and I don't party nearly as hard as I used to, -not because I wouldn't want to but because nightlife got so boring and overregulated that it's just not worth a 2 day hangover (yeah, the 2-day hangover, together with loss of hair probably the worst thing to come with age).

One of the best things about growing old is that nobody can dismiss a statement as youthfully crass by saying "oh, you'll talk differently once you're older".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    elise said:
    batmon said:
    elise said:
    I feel younger than Batmon.

i look younger though!

Wash yo butt.

lololol

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Parenthood speeds up the aging process

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    RAJ said:

they bled my sister, they bled my cousins, but they won't bleed... me!

jk

haven't-met-the-right-one related

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    who watched the Happy Days Jump The Shark episode when it came on?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    batmon said:

Pffffffffffffffft.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    RAJ said:

Yea, basically.

I was at my godson's birthday party on the weekend and I was sitting there watching and listening to the four kids under 5 and parents scene thinking - "Yep. This shit is definitely not for me."

• Jspr said:

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality by not dying."

• RAJ said:

Yes sir. Forces you to become older. Friends who used to wear t-shirts & jeans, now wear button downs & ties. Maybe for chicks, maybe b/c of kids, but it makes me feel older too.

Of course I'm still t-shirt & jeans & feel like kid still, but my body is different. Long live the 80's baby.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I don't know what some of y'all are talking about. My daughter definitely helps me feel more youthful.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I don't know what some of y'all are talking about. My daughter definitely helps me feel more youthful.

Visitation rights do not count.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    bassie said:
    SIRUS said:
    RAJ said:

Yea, basically.

I was at my godson's birthday party on the weekend and I was sitting there watching and listening to the four kids under 5 and parents scene thinking - "Yep. This shit is definitely not for me."

I def feel that way sometimes. Some of my friends are already starting families, which is totally beyond me. What really bugs me is my young girlfriends who want kids just so they don't end up being "old moms." They'd rather sacrifice the financial security, career establishment and experience that comes with age than show up to soccer practice with a wrinkle on their faces. I'm not saying wait until you're 40, but perhaps wait until you've the finances to cover insurance and prenatal visits.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    batmon said:

Happy whaT?

• i feel 18 or 19 years old.

peace, stein. . .

RAJ said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Visitation rights do not count.

Don't blame the children for dudes thinking that just because they are parents that they have to be chubby, suburban lame-o's.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    overflo said:
    RAJ said:

Yes sir. Forces you to become older. Friends who used to wear t-shirts & jeans, now wear button downs & ties. Maybe for chicks, maybe b/c of kids, but it makes me feel older too.

Of course I'm still t-shirt & jeans & feel like kid still, but my body is different. Long live the 80's baby.

You might get a bit (ok, a lot) less sleep but I remain the biggest kid on the block. Go to bed earlier? Be out kicking a ball with them and showing them goofball scoring celebrations? This time is what you make it and you can't have it back.

Dudes will stay out drinking until 2am and then wake up at 5am to hit the fleas for records without a complaint. But God forbid that their child keep them from losing a mere half hour...ever.

Newsflash: Parenting under normal circumstances really isn't that hard. And if it somehow is, it was your choice...so plaese to stop complaining about it.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Thanks for all the responses. I always tell people that if I had a debate with the versions of me in 5,10 or 101 different life stages/phases I've had in the past, I'd have to tell the various younger variations of me, "wait till you've gone through the experience of things that I have before you even tell me what's real." Yet when I really reflect on that, the truth is the 5+ years version of me at this point will disagree with my current self and so on and so on. I think main thing in all of this is to never forget the spirit or inclinations of your earlier perspectives, and never think that you at this current stage have "absolute truth", because your older version of yourself with be jealous of your lack of arthritis and call the cops on you.

It's funny that i even find my musical tastes expanding towards "lamer" genres in my aging, ("lamer" meaning things I thought were cheezy when I was a kid, ie. old country/jazz/blues, 50's mainsream etc) and withdrawing towards whatever is deemed progressive these days (ie. dubstep or whatever the hell that infernal raquet is referred to as these days)..when I was younger I always told myself I would ALWAYS keep on top of whatever is groundbreaking or innovative. As always my "go to" music is in the highschool/college years, but even that fades. I always wanted to meet a death metal fan in their mid 40's and ask them if they still listen to that shit.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    alieNDN said:
    Thanks for all the responses. I always tell people that if I had a debate with the versions of me in 5,10 or 101 different life stages/phases I've had in the past, I'd have to tell the various younger variations of me, "wait till you've gone through the experience of things that I have before you even tell me what's real." Yet when I really reflect on that, the truth is the 5+ years version of me at this point will disagree with my current self and so on and so on. I think main thing in all of this is to never forget the spirit or inclinations of your earlier perspectives, and never think that you at this current stage have "absolute truth", because your older version of yourself with be jealous of your lack of arthritis and call the cops on you.

It's funny that i even find my musical tastes expanding towards "lamer" genres in my aging, ("lamer" meaning things I thought were cheezy when I was a kid, ie. old country/jazz/blues, 50's mainsream etc) and withdrawing towards whatever is deemed progressive these days (ie. dubstep or whatever the hell that infernal raquet is referred to as these days)..when I was younger I always told myself I would ALWAYS keep on top of whatever is groundbreaking or innovative. As always my "go to" music is in the highschool/college years, but even that fades. I always wanted to meet a death metal fan in their mid 40's and ask them if they still listen to that shit.
    I don't know about old, but you definitely sound "lame". There are plenty of 'older' people (over 30 and upwards) still perfectly capable of enjoying good new music, or appreciating graffiti whilst not completely condoning the destruction of property, not condemning those involved either. It is quite possible to mature, without turning in to an old fuddy-duddy.

You're only limiting yourself if you measure what you love and believe in against age.

I hear dudes talking about getting older, getting married and selling their records and/or stop buying...because they are growing older and "progressing" through life. I am not talking about financial or space considerations - I am speaking about people who think it's time to give it up or have the responsibility to because they are moving from single dude to married dude.

Feeling like you have to give up the things you love - like death metal - because you have reached a certain age or stage in your life is way more lame than a saltnpepper dudette going through menopause at a Miseration show.

• Dolo76Dolo76 64 Posts
    Okem said:
    There are plenty of 'older' people (over 30 and upwards) still perfectly capable of enjoying good new music, or appreciating graffiti whilst not completely condoning the destruction of property, not condemning those involved either. It is quite possible to mature, without turning in to an old fuddy-duddy.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Get started on building that California mission, Reynaldo. Standard 4th grade project.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Okem said:
    alieNDN said:

I don't know about old, but you definitely sound "lame". There are plenty of 'older' people (over 30 and upwards) still perfectly capable of enjoying good new music, or appreciating graffiti whilst not completely condoning the destruction of property, not condemning those involved either. It is quite possible to mature, without turning in to an old fuddy-duddy.

There is truth towards what you say, I mean if I'm in the right setting and I hear a great tune, I'l sure as hell want to hear it again. And I'm by now means saying my listening habits apply to anyone else, I observe that ever since listening to music beyond a walkman (ie. mp3s and the ability to skip trhough tracks after a few seconds, when in the past I'd give a wholse listen is more of a reflection that I don't give music the same patience I gave it in the past). Truth is there will always be great/excellent music out there that is modern if you seek it out. I just find myself less conducive to it, though I think that's part of information overload and ADD, or my allowance of that. Appreciate your perspective all the same.

and Ps: I just want to clarify i love the art of graffiti, it had a massive impact on my design tastes/expression, i'm just like "Don't put that shit on my door." Having my cake and wanting it too I guess.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I look & feel like I'm 20 all over again. I'm in better shape now than ever .

• alieNDN said:
    I always wanted to meet a death metal fan in their mid 40's and ask them if they still listen to that shit.

Hell no.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I just played soccer with my 4 year old god son for a couple of hours.

I felt young while I was playing and old now that I'm done.