East of Underground Boxset (3LP) Reissue

willisreadwillisread 34 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
Anybody seen this?

http://www.nowagainrecords.com/exclusive-pre-sale-at-stones-throw-east-of-underground-hell-below-box-set/

Is this necessary? I mean aren't there heaps of other things that should/could
be reissued...

b/w

Anybody coppin'? I wonder how the sound quality compares to the original vs. the wax poetics
reissue...

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I did think the fact that Wax Po omitted the SOAP record was a mistake so I can see the appeal. I do find it strange that the box set is designed as the EOU album cover though when it's really celebrating all four bands.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I copped it. It will sell out fast and I didn't want to get caught sleeping.

Kindly,
    parallax

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    maru said:
    I did think the fact that Wax Po omitted the SOAP record was a mistake so I can see the appeal. I do find it strange that the box set is designed as the EOU album cover though when it's really celebrating all four bands.

Says the baller with all the OGs! ;)

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Can I trade in my OG ReTM?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It's cool that they're doing it, I'm fully satisfied with the Wax Poetics reissue though.

Now Again are really turning into the box set-label, for the completists with deep pockets. A lot of their stuff now are triple and quadruple lps in cases where I feel a regular comp or single lp reissue would have sufficed. I'm sure it works for them and people are buying it, but a lot of the stuff they put out now are a bit over the top and pricey for me. If I'm just curious about an artist, I don't need the all out-boxset as my first purchase.

• maru said:

i guess because everybody knows that EOU cover, so they can sell it based on that alone (although not
    sure how many cats are droppin' half a bill on a cover they've seen somewhere before on impulse alone...)

• Mjukis said:
    It's cool that they're doing it, I'm fully satisfied with the Wax Poetics reissue though.

Now Again are really turning into the box set-label, for the completists with deep pockets. A lot of their stuff now are triple and quadruple lps in cases where I feel a regular comp or single lp reissue would have sufficed. I'm sure it works for them and people are buying it, but a lot of the stuff they put out now are a bit over the top and pricey for me. If I'm just curious about an artist, I don't need the all out-boxset as my first purchase.

^^^^^so on point about the boxset reissue boutique label thing, i was interested in that Rikki Ililonga album,
    but thought that for the pricetag, all i needed was one of those LPs and I'd been happy enough...however
    that P.E. Hewitt set has been one of my personal favorite reissues not curated by numero

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    willisread said:
    Mjukis said:

^^^^^so on point about the boxset reissue boutique label thing, i was interested in that Rikki Ililonga album,
    but thought that for the pricetag, all i needed was one of those LPs and I'd been happy enough...however
    that P.E. Hewitt set has been one of my personal favorite reissues not curated by numero

The P.E. Hewitt set is worth every penny.

I own the WaxPo reissue and have an original copy of Black Seeds, the questions are how much do I need the Soap lp and did the EOU come from a different source that sounds better? Didn't the Wax Poetics reissue come from a clean vinyl copy and not the tapes?

• Looking forward to checking out the other two records.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    pointman said:
    willisread said:
    Mjukis said:

The P.E. Hewitt set is worth every penny.

I own the WaxPo reissue and have an original copy of Black Seeds, the questions are how much do I need the Soap lp and did the EOU come from a different source that sounds better? Didn't the Wax Poetics reissue come from a clean vinyl copy and not the tapes?

I'd be very surprised if Now Again found the tapes for EoU - feels like it should be mentioned on the website?

I've been curious about the PE Hewitt set, but yeah, the Rikki Ililonga was a bit pricey. And it didn't even include the best song I've heard from him.