Daptone Records

innercitymusicinnercitymusic 53 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
I know i may be late on this but they have the illest recordings, when I first heard some of their recordings I thought they were recordings from the late 60's-early 70's. I just love the sound and plan on buying some of their music for sure on vinyl and cd. Anybody ever visit this place? Next time in NY I will be taking a trip their with the Homie Premier if possible and see If i can get him to work with this studio.

Comments

• Their studio is awesome. They designed it from scratch. Features include the ability to plug your guitar into the wall and it will connect to an amp in another room, as well as a vocal booth with 3 feet of space on every side, resting on tires. Completely analog, of course.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Completely analog, of course.

Gabe Roth makes great efforts to communicate that analog is not necessary to make great recordings now, though - he says badass musicians and proper production (and focus/vision) are far more important.

• I have bought tons of stuff on their label over the years, not to mention all the early Desco stuff before they became Daptone. If I was ever to record an album I would want it to be recorded at Daptone.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    bull_ox said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

Gabe Roth makes great efforts to communicate that analog is not necessary to make great recordings now, though - he says badass musicians and proper production (and focus/vision) are far more important.

Great efforts? When did he ever say that?

- spidey

Check out this 2 hour interview with Mao at Red Bull Academy:

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/video-archive/lectures/gabriel_roth_the_mathematics_of_soul

"I'm not one of those people who thinks old is better, analog is better..."

From what I recall, he says that the main advantage of analog recording is that it forces the performers to put their all into each take - not the sound of the recorded output.

He also encourages everyone to ignore what he said in interviews when he was young.

I've already watched that, and you're misinterpreting where he says:

"I???m not one of these people who has some kind of an agenda, like old is better and analogue is better and digital is bad. I don???t care, man. It is music. Music is supposed to make you feel good and that???s got to be the end of it. And if it doesn't make you feel good, it???s wrong, and if it does, then it???s right and that's it."

He states that he has no agenda, but Daptone studios make the records exactly how we want to make them, and implies that analog 8-track is still his personal preference.

Mine too.

- spidey

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    bull_ox said:
    He also encourages everyone to ignore what he said in interviews when he was young.

This.

When I met him a couple of years ago, we had a brief chat and it was exactly this way. I asked him about the "How to record a funk 45" article in Big Daddy Magazine and he said that back then he "did not know what he was doing". And of course, analog might still be his preference, but everything you guys said seems to be true as far as I can tell...

SPlDEY said:

"I???m not one of these people who has some kind of an agenda, like old is better and analogue is better and digital is bad. I don???t care, man. It is music. Music is supposed to make you feel good and that???s got to be the end of it. And if it doesn't make you feel good, it???s wrong, and if it does, then it???s right and that's it."

He states that he has no agenda, but Daptone studios make the records exactly how we want to make them, and implies that analog 8-track is still his personal preference.

You are misinterpreting what I said.

I know (as well as everyone else familiar with his music) that analog is his preference.

I'm saying that he no longer believes that it is the best/only way to record good music, like he did when he was young & naive.

bull_ox said:
    SPlDEY said:

You are misinterpreting what I said.

I know (as well as everyone else familiar with his music) that analog is his preference.

I'm saying that he no longer believes that it is the best/only way to record good music, like he did when he was young & naive.

I'm not criticizing you Bull Ox. All I'm doing is pointing out how you are slightly manipulating his words to fit your agenda. I understand what you are saying, I read what you read, and here is exactly where I disagree and agree with your interpretation of what he said.

You originally stated:

Gabe Roth makes great efforts to communicate that analog is not necessary to make great recordings now...

Then you made up a quote from him:

"I'm not one of those people who thinks old is better, analog is better..."

Your re-interpretation then states:

"..he no longer believes that it ("it" implying analog recording) is the best"

The reason why this is incorrect is that it implies that Gabe believes analog is not necessary to record funk 45s. Nowhere in that interview does he state that in fact his words and actions imply exactly the opposite. So I went to the transcript, and pasted his exact words. As far as his personal preference he mentions:

"..being in the studio with an eight track machine is amazing, it is a different process." - Gabe

then you correct yourself:

"he no longer believes that it is the best/only way to record good music"

I've never read anything from him talking about it being the only path "to record GOOD music". In the Big Daddy article he states:

" ..though digital recording is now very affordable and accessible, IT SUCKS SHIT FROM MY ASS." - Gabe

Which looks like an opinion that he has now from experience matured from. (This is where I agree with your interpretation.)

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding between us.

saludo,

- spidey

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    bull_ox said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

Great efforts? When did he ever say that?

- spidey

Don't want to get all O_Dub, but: often. I think he got sick of all the audio geek fanboys gushing on him whenever he works at another studio. He'll tell you "make music, do your thing, have fun, no I don't really want to check out Dopamine Flux"

SportCasual said:
    Don't want to get all O_Dub, but: often. I think he got sick of all the audio geek fanboys gushing on him whenever he works at another studio. He'll tell you "make music, do your thing, have fun, no I don't really want to check out Dopamine Flux"

Actually Sport, that is pretty much what he told me not in those words.

haha,

- spidey

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    what if you dont want to make funk terds? get some digital shit! i love 80s digital pitch shiters, reverbs, synths, samplers etc. but my gear is 98% analog anyways. so dont listen to me.

reverb units tho. digital > analog.

you can shoot me. but it will still be true.

• doom said:
    digital pitch shiters

my new band name

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    doom said:
    digital pitch shiters

my new band name

hahaha, whoops!

...i'd buy the record

• bull_ox said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

Whoever says this is overstating it.

To all you young producers, musicians, & engineers your computer based music will never match the truest analog sounds.

In other words:

Midi is not equal to analog synths such as moog, lil phatty, voyager, rhodes etc.

Computer programming via Fruity loops, reason, cubase, abbleton, etc is not equal to mpc, sp1200, ensoniq, sp303 etc.

digital pedals & fx are not equal to real pedals, outboard gear etc.

In my opinion, lee fields is the best thing that has come out of Desco/Daptone.

Props to spidey for keeping real.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    overflo said:
    bull_ox said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

To all you young producers, musicians, & engineers your computer based music will never match the truest analog sounds.

In other words:

Midi is not equal to analog synths such as moog, lil phatty, voyager, rhodes etc.

Computer programming via Fruity loops, reason, cubase, abbleton, etc is not equal to mpc, sp1200, ensoniq, sp303 etc.

i feel like a lot of the people that spend all their time and money on gear are just procrastinating. Make your music how you like it and shut the fuck up.

and regarding the sequencing being better with an mpc/asr/sp1200 than protools or abbelton... that's just not even close to being correct.

• the most important thing about making a good recording is microphone placement...if you have shitty ears then it doesnt matter if you are using tape, digital, whatever. Your ears are the most important tool. But twistin' knobs and flippin' big toggle switches on your shit is a lot more fun than moving a mouse however....

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    overflo said:
    bull_ox said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

In other words:

i feel like a lot of the people that spend all their time and money on gear are just procrastinating. Make your music how you like it and shut the fuck up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    why i sold most of my equipment. got stuck in the gear hole.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Wasn't the Daptone Studio robbed a while back? Or was that some where else?

• bull_ox said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

and regarding the sequencing being better with an mpc/asr/sp1200 than protools or abbelton... that's just not even close to being correct.

Boo hoo. I make music on a guitars, bass, keys, turntables, & samplers. Sequencing or programming on computers is for beginners. Let's not confuse engineering with music making. Obviously, recording on pro tools is great. But, beatmaking on pc/mac=amateur.

Hands on instruments rule. Make your weak sauce beats & shut the fuck up.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    snicka_g said:
    Wasn't the Daptone Studio robbed a while back? Or was that some where else?
    it was daptone, i think right around the time of the rod stewart sessions.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    These days I do my stuff on my laptop in my dining room, I don't own any analog tape machines (apart from cassette decks) anymore. Easy. I do of course use real instruments, but the only part of the process which is analog these days is if I have to sample something from record right at the start & within the process of the final product physically getting to vinyl.

• yeah, great studio , great guys - cool vibe!
    respect Daptone's

p.s. looking into buying 8 or 4 track tape recorder (or cassete ?)
    is TASCAM Midistudio 688 any good for a raw Jazz or Funk/Soul live recordings?
    or any other ( affordable ) recorders?