Surround Speakers?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
I have four bose stereo joints around my stereo/tv/etc, two up front and two in the back. all are diagonal from my couch.

ive alraedy nixed the idea of a subwoofer in my apt due to the excess bass. But do i need a damn Center speaker?

What are yall hook ups?

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

We're still in the process of furnishing the new place, so this isn't actually set up at the moment, but I've had it for quite a few years now. It's a combined CD/SACD/DVD player, and we put the TV through it as well; the sub-woofer makes a big difference to the sound. We're living in one of those buildings where sound tends to carry, and I hadn't actually considered how it might sound to everyone else in the building when it's finally up and running. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, though.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Yes you need a center speaker. Most of the dialog is mixed through the center channel. I'm assuming you have a 5.1 or higher decoder though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    Yes you need a center speaker. Most of the dialog is mixed through the center channel. I'm assuming you have a 5.1 or higher decoder though.

yeah, but i was reading where if i already have a sweet spot that creates a phantom center a center isnt essential.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Yeah phantom surround techniques may sound better than stereo and trick your brain a bit, but compared side by side to 5.1 (that's mixed and set up well) the difference is like night and day.

If it sounds good rock it though

• DocMcCoy said:
    and we put the TV through it as well; .

i have yet to master this. i have everything going through HDMI, yet my TV is on a 1-2 second audio delay when played through my surround setup. i can't find a setting anywhere to alter the timing of the audio signal on either end. it is only bearable during sporting events.

If I upgrade my A/V receiver and lose the Phono option will i need a pre-amp to play wrekkids?

And do I have to the pre-amp?

Pimp My Stereo

4 folks run up in various homes and upgrade their systems

Old Acoustics Dude - Like Classical Music and positions the speakers
    Bad Tattoos Rockist Dude - Hooks up wiring, Builds shit, makes it happen
    Geek Squad Tech Chick - Gadgets and New Tech

I need one more character/specialty........

• batmon said:
    If I upgrade my A/V receiver and lose the Phono option will i need a pre-amp to play wrekkids?

I picked up a new Pioneer receiver this year. The Best Buy online description claimed that it had a phono input, but when I got it home I found that they were lying sons of bitches. I liked everything else about it so I kept it anyway. I just use a DJ mixer as my pre-amp, though it'd be nice to not have to have that set up in my living room.

Has anyone used this one? I have an ART tube mic pre that I like.

I dont own a mixer.

• Snagglepus said:

Has anyone used this one? I have an ART tube mic pre that I like.

I bought a record collection off an old jazz geezer and he threw this preamp in. I actually ended up using it for my computer-based set up (as opposed to the living room joint with the vintage amp/speaker combo). For my purposes, it's great - small footprint, clean and flat sound. I would prefer a more "colored" sound for around the house listening, but for converting records to AIFF or running them into my sampler, it's fine.