regluing 45 labels, help

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
Found a biggie today with one of its labels half torn off. Luckily, the loose piece of the label was still in the sleeve. Just wondering if theres a preferred bonding agent I should use if I want to make the lovely Shrine Records logo whole again.

Comments

• Plain ol' Elmers should due the trick.

I would apply a very thin, uniform layer with a brush on both the label and the disc and press gently. Keep your hands clean or you'll leave fingerprints - you may want to use a credit card or similar to smooth the label out. You might also want to keep the 45 in the sleeve to avoid getting glue on the playing surface.

• I'd use a glue stick. Less messy and it works fine.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Elmer's glue. The plain, classic formula. I'm always making some sort of project and am surprised by how well I've fared with this glue. The generic types are not as good. Elmer's gel glue and Elmer's glue sticks are not the same.

Beware that any type of glue-to-paper application can result in wrinkles and warpage in the paper, so make sure you spread on an even layer.

If the record is super valuable, you might want to look for a glue that is acid-free, as this will prevent fading of the color. I'm looking at my bottle of Elmer's right now, and while I haven't had issues with it in the past, it doesn't say that it's acid free on the bottle.

Glue sticks are great and convenient, but the bond they form isn't as strong as that of liquid glue. Plus, changes in temperature (if it gets really cold) can cause weaker glues to become brittle; then the label will peel back off. This can happen with Elmer's too, but in my experience, not as quickly as with a glue-stick.

If you need to adhere the binding of a record cover back together, Elmer's glue works, but can get messy. Scor-tape is a double-sided craft tape which is great for this, and you can get it for about $6 on eBay for 27 yards or so. I think it's made in South Korea. I use it for all sorts of projects.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Ok, I think I'll give the old acid free glue a whirl. Appreciate the tips everybody!

• Regular Elmer's is not acid free, but the CraftBond is:

• Whatever you do don't use the kind of glue that the Arock label was using back in the day.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Oooohh, will have to add that CraftBond to my collection. LOVE adhesive.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    [antiquesroadshow]

So one more question, do you think that adhering the label back on with an after market glue will decrease the value of the 45? Would it actually be more desirable if left as-is?

[/antiquesroadshow]

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    As a buyer I would want to know that it was reglued.
    That it need to be reguled suggests to me that the record is styrene.

If the glue job was professional, and unnoticeable, then I would appreciated that it was done.
    If it was unnoticeable and you didn't mention it, then I would never notice.