Recommend a decent subwoofer for monitoring?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I've been using a pair of these for years now but I need some Magic Mike action up in here.

Can anyone recommend a decent/fair priced sub for monitoring?

Comments

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    Mackie hrs series is cool but not really that cheap

• generally speaking, you would want to find a sub that would be matched with your left & right pair. at the least, you would want the crossover points to match up correctly. check to see if the manufacturer makes a sub that would work with your monitors (that's usually the best bet.). seriously, them mackie hr824s is no joke. and mackie makes subs too...

• I've been using a pair of these for years now but I need some Magic Mike action up in here.

i've been rocking a pair of m-audio's (which are on sale via Guitar Center since the newer ones are dropping). Even though these are my first pair of monitors they seem like some definite bass action is occuring.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    I've been using a pair of these for years now but I need some Magic Mike action up in here.

i've been rocking a pair of m-audio's (which are on sale via Guitar Center since the newer ones are dropping). Even though these are my first pair of monitors they seem like some definite bass action is occuring.

which ones, the lx5s? i was thinking about doing that. at least as a second pair of monitors just to check bass in.

but yo, day, i dont know how techinically saavy you are but check here for parts to build your own. dont think its that hard and would be a lot cheaper than that mackie jumpoff. i have been looking at subs for a minute now and cant seem to find something i like in my price range. Tannoy makes one thats somewhat reasonable in price.

but i think i might just build one...

• but yo, day, i dont know how techinically saavy you are but check here for parts to build your own. dont think its that hard and would be a lot cheaper than that mackie jumpoff. i have been looking at subs for a minute now and cant seem to find something i like in my price range. Tannoy makes one thats somewhat reasonable in price.

decent monitors are definately money... depending on how serious your mixing is, you'd prolly want to find a pair that will color the sound as little as possible. the 824s do exactly what you want monitors to do. their response is practically flat. the bass rolls off around 40hz. why even waste time with a sub if they do that?

trying to build even halfway studio-quality monitors from a parts supplier would be extremely difficult.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

but yo, day, i dont know how techinically saavy you are but check here for parts to build your own. dont think its that hard and would be a lot cheaper than that mackie jumpoff. i have been looking at subs for a minute now and cant seem to find something i like in my price range. Tannoy makes one thats somewhat reasonable in price.

decent monitors are definately money... depending on how serious your mixing is, you'd prolly want to find a pair that will color the sound as little as possible. the 824s do exactly what you want monitors to do. their response is practically flat. the bass rolls off around 40hz. why even waste time with a sub if they do that?

trying to build even halfway studio-quality monitors from a parts supplier would be extremely difficult.

i feel you, but first off, he is looking for a sub, not a new pair of monitors. not to speak for day, but i figure he has gotten pretty used to the way those Events sound, and obviously(from the product he has put forth), he knows how to use his ears well.

again, not to speak for day, but i think he is looking to fill the void of the low end, not replace his monitoring situation. the 824s are great monitors, but cost aroud $1600. the sub they offer to accompany is another $1200. a build your own sub from parts express is less than $600. thats why i offered that solution to him.

i mean, shit, i would recomend getting some genelecs and calling it a day(no pun), but im just being realistic. i dont think any of us are spending that kind of cash on our gear. but maybe...

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

i feel you, but first off, he is looking for a sub, not a new pair of monitors. not to speak for day, but i figure he has gotten pretty used to the way those Events sound, and obviously(from the product he has put forth), he knows how to use his ears well.

I don't know the Mackie subwoofer, but aren't most subwoofers mono anyway? As most mastering/mixing engineers pan anything under 100 hertz dead even (because low frequencies aren't directionally distinguishable to the human ear). And most subwoofers should have a way to dial in the crossover of your choosing.

I have the passive Event 20/20s (plus a pair of Tannoy's), and I don't feel the need for a subwoofer. I just compare my final mixes with albums I know to have the best bass response (read: Ant Banks).

Please discuss?

• meshmesh 925 Posts

I don't know the Mackie subwoofer, but aren't most subwoofers mono anyway? As most mastering/mixing engineers pan anything under 100 hertz dead even (because low frequencies aren't directionally distinguishable to the human ear). And most subwoofers should have a way to dial in the crossover of your choosing.

I have the passive Event 20/20s (plus a pair of Tannoy's), and I don't feel the need for a subwoofer. I just compare my final mixes with albums I know to have the best bass response (read: Ant Banks).

Please discuss?

hi bam!

yep, subs are mono in the studio.

comparing your mixes to others that you know sound good is the best way to mix, IMO. i try to do that when i am mixing and mastering. its how i get around not having a sub. BUT, that said, i still wouldnt mind having a sub just to hear that bass thats gonna come crashing over my head when it gets played at a club or over a loud system.

• i feel you, but first off, he is looking for a sub, not a new pair of monitors. not to speak for day, but i figure he has gotten pretty used to the way those Events sound, and obviously(from the product he has put forth), he knows how to use his ears well.

again, not to speak for day, but i think he is looking to fill the void of the low end, not replace his monitoring situation. the 824s are great monitors, but cost aroud $1600. the sub they offer to accompany is another $1200. a build your own sub from parts express is less than $600. thats why i offered that solution to him.

i mean, shit, i would recomend getting some genelecs and calling it a day(no pun), but im just being realistic. i dont think any of us are spending that kind of cash on our gear. but maybe...

you're right.. i sure as fuck don't have 16 bills to drop on that shit either...

subs are goddamn subs. the only thing that really separates the best ones from the rest is that they can pump even lower frequencies than the cheaper ones, and do all of it with little to no distortion. day, if i were you, any 10" sub (or larger) that has an adjustable crossover will prolly suit your needs just fine.