troy davis R.I.P

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
dude claimed innocence up until his last breathe.
Fuck the state of georgia.
Apparently the victim's family was smiling as he was put to death.
AMOREIKKKA THE BEAUTIFUL.

Comments

• You mean Troy Davis. I've never been a proponent of capital punnishment, and this case just irritated me to the fullest. The amount of doubt that surrounded the case based solely on eyewitness accounts should've been enough for there to be a stay on the execution. He claimed innocence until he died, but he died wishing peace upon the people who were going to kill him as well as to the family of the fallen police officer.

Whether you thought the man was guilty or not, this death should not be one that is celebrated as if the man were just another number.

And even though supposedly the family of the fallen police officer were smiling or happy at the end of the execution, let us remember that they are also victims as well. They lost a husband, father and son that was doing his duty to protect and serve the community. So pray for both families, and I pray that Troy Davis' story will be a burning reminder of our constant search for justice in unjust times.

• *Troy Davis

• Reynaldo said:

What's interesting about this one is that despite the severity of the killing, the King family actually wrote a letter stating that they didn't want the death penalty for Brewer. When I was watching CNN last night and listening to the mother of the police officer, she just had this very cold and uncaring vibe about her. She totally looked past the recanted statements and unreservedly said that Troy did it. As angry as I felt listening to her and how she responded to questions asked to her, all I could do was pray that she could finally find peace.

Anger and frustration do not serve me in this situation. And I hope that it doesn't serve the supporters of Troy Davis to do anything that would cause harm to that family.

• I apologize for the repeated post.

• Speaking of Rick "The Executioner" Perry :

A guy named Cameron Todd Willingham was sentenced to death for intentionally torching his house and killing his kids. As the execution date drew near, an independent fire investigator, Gerald Hurst, concluded that Willingham had been wrongly convicted on the basis of "junk science," and that the fire had actually been triggered by a faulty space heater or bad wiring.

Willingham's lawyers asked Perry to delay execution so that the courts could study Hurst's report (from the report: "there is not a single item of physical evidence in this case that supports a finding of arson"). Nope, said Perry. Goodbye, Willingham. Flash forward five years. A second fire investigator, Craig Beyler, surfaced to question the trial evidence, and he was preparing to meet with receptive members of the Texas Forensic Science Commission...when Perry speedily intervened. Perry removed three members of the state panel, and installed a new chairman who promptly canceled the meeting and squelched the probe. Perry then characterized his moves as "pretty standard business as usual."

source: http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/blogs/item/26970

• These executions are going to be the death of Rick Perry's presidential run.

• Just read the David Grann article from the New Yorker on Willingham:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/07/090907fa_fact_grann

One of the saddest things you'll ever read.

• I still can't wrap my mind around how people who call themselves Christian could support the death penalty. But I'm sure they find away to tell themselves it is right.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    The death penalty should have no place in any society that considers itself civilised.

b/w

I do wonder about those proponents of "small government" who continue to support this, though. How do you square being a confirmed anti-Statist with a belief in the most Statist policy of all - that the State should have the power of life and death over its citizens?

• C-word
    Attached files

• edith head said:
    C-word

That entire night I was switching in-between CNN, Fox News and MSNBC to see how each channel would cover the Troy Davis execution. CNN and MSNBC did their due dilligence to the story while at the same time announcing other news such as the suicide of that 14 year old boy who was bullied due to his sexuality.

Fox News, however, only spent about 3 to 5 minutes on the story with Greta Von Susteren, where she said, "convicted cop killer Troy Davis." Very fair and balanced, indeed. As for Ann Coulter, I can only believe that she tried to delete that tweet only AFTER she realized how stupid it was to write it.

• disgusting, yet not surprising...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    The death penalty should have no place in any society that considers itself civilised.

b/w

I do wonder about those proponents of "small government" who continue to support this, though. How do you square being a confirmed anti-Statist with a belief in the most Statist policy of all - that the State should have the power of life and death over its citizens?

well, these are also the same people who believe the government can't properly handle healthcare, b/c it's too bloated and incompetent, yet they are all certain that the government never makes mistakes when it comes to these sort of life and death situations...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

Listening to the Talk of the Nation yesterday afternoon I was getting sick to my stomach hearing about this case.
    I can't even bring myself to watch the videos or read the articles you all have posted/linked.
    (I have read a number of articles about this already this week.)

Then at dinner last night a friend said that the execution had been stayed. (Which I guess there was a short stay, or delay, after he had been strapped down?)
    This morning I awoke to hear he was killed after forgiving those who were going to kill him.

Another friend at dinner last night was saying that when he lived in Spain, the main thing about America Spaniards asked about was the death penalty. An old woman told him that in Spain they knew what it was like to live in a country that killed it's own citizens.

Apparently, in recent years, there has been an epidemic of wrongly accusing parents of killing their children. ME, sometimes under political pressure, are quick to label infant/children deaths as murder.

The death penalty is not a left/right Democrat/Republican issue. It is a moral issue.

LaserWolf said:
    The death penalty is not a left/right Democrat/Republican issue. It is a moral issue.

It's a moral issue, but not solely. In the UK at least, the charge to reintroduce the death penalty has been led almost exclusively by the far right. I say "almost" because I'm not 100% certain, but I can't think of anyone on the left who publicly supports a reintroduction of capital punishment. Certainly, opposition to its reintroduction is seen as lefty posturing by some. In fairness, there are quite a lot of people to the right of the political spectrum in the UK who don't support its reintroduction either, but it was only after Blair became PM that the regular HoC vote to reinstate it, which had been a feature of every parliament since its abolition, was quietly abandoned.

Here are six innocent men who'd have been killed by the State if the death penalty hadn't been abolished in the UK;

Here are another four;

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    LaserWolf said:

It's a moral issue, but not solely. In the UK at least, the charge to reintroduce the death penalty has been led almost exclusively by the far right. I say "almost" because I'm not 100% certain, but I can't think of anyone on the left who publicly supports a reintroduction of capital punishment. Certainly, opposition to its reintroduction is seen as lefty posturing by some. In fairness, there are quite a lot of people to the right of the political spectrum in the UK who don't support its reintroduction either, but it was only after Blair became PM that the regular HoC vote to reinstate it, which had been a feature of every parliament since its abolition, was quietly abandoned.

Here are six innocent men who'd have been killed by the State if the death penalty hadn't been abolished in the UK;

Here are another four;

Oh come on... just look at them, they all look guilty as hell!

Frank said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    LaserWolf said:

Here are another four;

British justice

b/w

Guilty of being in possession of an Irish accent.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Frank said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    LaserWolf said:

Here are another four;

British justice

b/w

Guilty of being in possession of an Irish accent.

I figured. If it was for pastiness, your island would be deserted.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    I still can't wrap my mind around how people who call themselves Christian could support the death penalty. But I'm sure they find away to tell themselves it is right.

Maybe they read the Bible? Exodus 21:12 Whoever strikes a man so that he dies shall be put to death.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Bon Vivant said:
    CousinLarry said:
    I still can't wrap my mind around how people who call themselves Christian could support the death penalty. But I'm sure they find away to tell themselves it is right.

Maybe they read the Bible? Exodus 21:12 Whoever strikes a man so that he dies shall be put to death.

Most Christians reject the teachings of the Old Testament.
    That is why most don't keep kosher, honor the Sabbath, cover their head and so forth.
    They believe, one could hope, in the teachings of Jesus.
    Jesus rejected the old eye for an eye doctrine and replaced it with turn the other cheek.

OF course, any one is free to pick and choose how they interpret and apply religion in their lives.

Troy Davis Day Of Outrage Portland
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=224706794249222

Short notice. I am closing up shop now and heading down.
    Portland stand up.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    CousinLarry said:

That is why most don't keep kosher, honor the Sabbath, cover their head and so forth.
    Jesus rejected the old eye for an eye doctrine and replaced it with turn the other cheek.

OF course, any one is free to pick and choose how they interpret and apply religion in their lives.

I don't know about most, nor do I know that they have rejected all of the OT. Ten Commandments still seem pretty big. But, I hear you. And I certainly wasn't trying to speak for all Christians.

Jesus also said Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar???s, and unto God the things that are God???s. Some argue that this is instructs Christians to submit to earthly authority, which includes the DP.

Not trying to turn this into religion thread.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    CousinLarry said:

Jesus rejected the old eye for an eye doctrine and replaced it with torturing most of humanity for all of eternity

Bitter toward your church?

LaserWolf said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    CousinLarry said:

Jesus rejected the old eye for an eye doctrine and replaced it with torturing most of humanity for all of eternity

Bitter toward your church?

I don't have a church. But it's rather silly to pretend that Christianity is a religion of sweetness and light without a huge dose of fire and brimstone.

The line of mine you changed was about Jesus' teaching, not Christianity.
    Except for rewrites in the later gospels, Jesus teachings were mostly void of fire and brimstone and were filled with sweetness and light.