When your selling a LP, that the artist has signed..

Dolo76Dolo76 64 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
(not to you), but to some random person who met them, and had them sign it, how much more value do you feel it adds?
Obviously, who the person was makes a difference, anyone had to price something like this before??

:shh: the artist name rhymes with shmarlie shmyrd

Comments

• I think there are several threads on this already.

Unless it's Charlie Parker, John Lennon or somebody on that level it doesn't add much of anything, and could be a negative. Signed records are not hard to come by

• unless you're talking about elvis or some other megastar who has been dead for a while or there is something of historical value about the inscription, some people would say its worth less than the 1 dollar that his records typically go for, since the jacket is defaced.

edit: horseleech beat me to it.

• What if its Charlie Byrd on the JazzSamba LP with Stan Getz?
    He's been :dead: for a minute.

I guess I gotta find a Charlie Byrd fan some where lol

*thanks for the responses, fellas

• ask grandma
    she will ride homey
    get paid or better yet get pills

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    If it's scrawled on the front cover then 9 times out of 10 it will lower the value (unless as said above it's some dead megastar). On the back cover or inside a gatefold isn't as detrimental. I don't even know if there are obsessive Charlie Byrd fans, I mean there probably has to be one person out there, but I don't think of him as an artist who sets collectors on fire with excitement....

• Years ago a guy was trying to sell me some Champion Jack Dupree records (which are a tough sell for me) and they were all autographed to him. He was trying to get me to pay way too much for them because they were signed.

I had to explain to him that the person that they would mean the most to in the whole world was him, and he was getting rid of them.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

That is a photograph of Sean Connery autographed by Roger Moore. It costs one hundred and fifty dollars.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Crossroads Music here in town was doing a bang up business for about a year selling Barbra Streisand and Elton John and Leo Sayer records to one guy in town who was selling them on ebay.

How was this possible?

He was "autographing" them before listing.
    He was also doing this with guitars.

There is big business now in signed guitars. Artists sign guitars that they would never play for all kinds of charity auctions. A local radio station had a display of signed guitars, some of them were signed by vocalists and drummers. A flea market guy here has a local artist paint guitars in band logos and designs and sells them. Often they are also "signed".

• thats the only autograph that i want..the rest are just ink on paper/plastic/wood etc. not that interesting that someone knows how to write their name.

i have a crate of horrible private press records with almost all of them autographed by the whole band. funny stuff.

• There is a record by some no name at shop here in town autographed by BB King. Why someone would have BB King autograph someone elses record, I have no idea.

• Autographs:

cover: vg-; WOC

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    HerringAndVodka said:
    Autographs:

cover: vg-; WOC

agreed, how to devalue a record imo

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Looks like the process of signing the record also sucked all the green light out of it.

Nevar that sun.

• I totally understand/agree with an autograph not increasing the value of a record outside of a Jimi, Lennon, etc. autograph...but I think it takes a special kind of collector jackass to expect to pay less for an autographed record because it somehow has "sullied" the jacket...its not like someone wrote a fucking grocery list on it. I don't believe it should automatically devalue the record.

• $3 LP whose value was increased slightly from being autographed
    http://collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=160649793186

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    $3 LP whose value was increased slightly from being autographed

gay frenzy

gaz said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    $3 LP whose value was increased slightly from being autographed

gay frenzy

????

• I probably devalued this when I had it signed a couple months ago, but fu*k it.
    It's one of my all-time favorites and I won't be selling it. Sentimental value > $'s sometimes.
    Attached files

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I totally understand/agree with an autograph not increasing the value of a record outside of a Jimi, Lennon, etc. autograph...but I think it takes a special kind of collector jackass to expect to pay less for an autographed record because it somehow has "sullied" the jacket...its not like someone wrote a fucking grocery list on it. I don't believe it should automatically devalue the record.

I really don't see the difference between an autograph and a grocery list if they're of comparable size.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    A grocery list would be more interesting. The cover would be equally vandalized.

• Why write a grocery list on a LP cover? That'd be pretty cumbersome when walking the store aisles, no?

• buried under a juniper in my private mind garden, there is a message board devoted to autograph collecting having this exact same discussion.... just from the other point of view.

johnny_hancock69 says:

what the hell am i going to do with a coltrane autograph on a RECORD? play that weird sounding garbage? eccccch!

I just went to a few autograph collecting sites.

Music and records have little to do with the autograph hobby/business.

Celebrities, sports, movie, tv even astronauts.
    But musicians, not so much.

TTM* is a big deal in the collecting world.
    Much discussion about if you should have the autograph personalized or not.
    Discussions about who was nice about signing and who is an asshole.

I've also noticed on Antiques Road Show that historical autographs are not worth much. "This letter from General George Washington to your greatgreatgrandfather thanking him for putting the troops up for the night and signed 'much love and freedom, George Washington' is worth $200." "This shopping list that your mom had signed by John Wayne when she bumped into him at the airport is worth $2,000."

I have a good customer who is a jazz autograph hound. When ever Ron Carter, or Mose Allison, or Ira Sullivan come to town he comes in and buys all their records and gets them autographed. He also travels to Seattle and San Francisco if someone like Shelia Escovedo or Ben Sidran is playing.
    From time to time he asks me what his autographs are worth...

If it is meaningful to you to have someones autograph great, but don't expect the next person to be thrilled.

*Through The Mail.

• didn't seem to hurt the sale of this vg/vg- rare groove:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-CHOCOLATE-Original-FUNK-MONSTER-GRAIL-Private-Press-Lou-Ragland-Co-Co-LISTEN-/300599642109?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item45fd2287fd

that said, alot of the private press is signed cus it was sold at shows.

I've had all kinds of requests from buyers, but no one has ever asked, do you have autographed records? Or even, do you have any Sophie Tucker autographed records? Answer YES!

• No, for sure: an autograph won't sell a record. But in my experience it doesn't depreciate the value of the LP, as long as it's fairly discreet: not radio station call letter styles.

• I, personally, dont mind signatures. I get them on hip hop LPs when I run into cats (Beatnuts, Sean P, Roc Raida RIP, etc), cause I think its dope cause its a personal touch, thats a copy of the album that has been in the hands of the actual artist.

I understand that some collectors are anal-retentive OCD'ers, so I guess it's personal preference about if it helps or detracts.

But Radio Call signs or when an owner writess their name all over the label is dripping with wacksauce

• I once unknowingly sold an autographed Coltrane record for $1, so maybe I'm just bitter.