cell phone thread

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
i need a new phone.
i hate the keyboard on my gf's iphone.
any recommendations?
android?
i hate having to deal with this cell phone stuff but it's a modern necessity.
sucks!
thanks for any and all input.

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I hate touch screens, one of the most retarded inventions ever.
    After losing my phone last weekend, I broke down and for the first time spent more than $30 on a cellphone. I got the Nokia C3-00 and so far, I'm happy with it. I mainly got it for the full keyboard so I can finally answer to text messages without having to multi-press 9 keys like an idiot. It also works world wide with any card which is a big plus and what's also great is that you can use wifi connections to check your emails which comes in very handy since I never travel with a computer. I guess these are all very basic things that any better phone can do...
    the camera seems usable, the pictures don't look like cellphone pictures at all. I never cared much about cameras in cellphones but 10 days ago I walked the dogs through prospect park and in the middle of the forest there was a fucking crayfish walking across the road and I was kicking myself for not being able to snap a picture. The shit thing about spending $150 for a phone is that you can't just shrug it off when you lose it and spend $30 on a new one.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yeah
    i just hate dealing with any of these companies.
    the whole cell phone culture and how people find their identities thru a fucking phone creeps me out.
    the aggressiveness of the sales dolts,the endless amounts of plans and phones,and giving money to AT&T verizon,fill in the blank multi death corporation intrinsically bothers me.
    its just modernity and i loathe it.
    also no one hasn't proven that they don't give you cancer
    it's fucking microwaves that you can feel heating up your ear.
    these companies could give a fuck about my tissue,organs and or cell membrane integrity.
    i text as much as possible and avoid talking on these fucking moronic pieces of shit.

• My ancient phone finally died so I had to go through this recently. I was going to get a Jitterbug - the phone for old people that has big keys, is really loud and only makes calls, but had to deal with the fact I was going to need to text etc. Plus, I spend a fair amount of time in places with no internet, so a smart phone would come in handy.

I ended up getting an Android and I like it pretty well, though I am not an expert on these things at all. I spent time with a friend recently who had just bought an Iphone and we both liked the Android better. I have a PC, though, if you have a Mac you probably want an Iphone.

I wasn't keen on the idea of typing on a touchscreen, but I got used to it really quickly. I also hesitated to spend $150 on a phone, but I've never lost a cell phone (I seldom lose anything, actually) so I figured why not - it's the first phone I ever paid for. The camera is 8 megapixels and the photos look great if the light is decent, and it's handy to be able to take a photo and text/email it on the spot. Also, I can use the phone as a modem and have internet for my computer that way.

I hear you on the whole modernity shit, but my answer is that I just don't use it very much.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    all valid points
    thanks guys
    i do have a mac so i guess i am now stuck w/ a touch pad/i phone
    arrghh!

• I'm tired of my cell phone bill. Been thinking about trying out the Straight talk service that walmart has. Downgrade yeah,
    but 45 dollars vs 100 plus for verizon unlimited is enough of a motivation. Just gotta wait til early next year.
    http://www.straighttalk.com/

anyone on this? and if so how's the network? Dropped calls?

• You don't need an iphone just cuz you own a mac. my android phone links up w/my mac just fine?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I agree with everything Kala says.
    I keep replacing the battery in my "free" phone I got years ago.
    If you get a new phone you have to buy a new plan, the whole thing is crazy.
    The costs are way more than what land lines were. Are?

I don't have internet access, so I have no way, or I have not found a way to move pics off my phone and onto my computer.

Any way, we have 2 phones/2 #s for $65.00.

At the end of all that I see what people do with their more intelligent phones and am just amazed.
    A good phone can do lots of cool stuff.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    matamatic said:
    I'm tired of my cell phone bill. Been thinking about trying out the Straight talk service that walmart has. Downgrade yeah,
    but 45 dollars vs 100 plus for verizon unlimited is enough of a motivation. Just gotta wait til early next year.
    http://www.straighttalk.com/

anyone on this? and if so how's the network? Dropped calls?

Same here.

I don't want a phone that can play video games, watch movies, read books, take great pictures, browse the Internet, and hold thousands of mp3s. I just want a thing that will last me more than a few years, and allows me to make phone calls for cheap.

I'm thinking of switching from T-mobile to that Straight-talk with the new Samsung Galaxy precedent phone. So I can use Google Voice for a "private" phone number (that I will actually use), and my actual phone number is going to permanentness go directly to voice mail.

In my life being on the phone is not very important. I've been "liberating" myself from my phone lately. I stopped texting. My work knows just to E-mail me now. I've been completely separating myself from the telephone these days and it feels great.

I would stick to that plan but I always get messed up when I start flirting with a new girl.

- Diego

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    say what you will about the iphone, but it beats having to walk around like batman with a utility belt full of cameras, ipods, and phones. i work in dc a lot now and they have those speed-trap cameras everywhere. i got an app that warns me when approaching one now and that has all but paid for the phone. the contract thing does suck, but you can buy a used one, jailbreak it, and cut the sim card to fit,

• Have you seen those new automated looms?

• snosno 332 Posts
    While I don't like the onscreen keyboard of Andoid phones, but I do like the widgets where I can quickly view weather, news, RSS, data usage and what not.
    I am not sure if this phone has hit the US market yet, but this is one good Android phone that does what it's supposed to do: make calls and text messages (SMS, email, whatsapp etc):

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    say what you will about the iphone, but it beats having to walk around like batman with a utility belt full of cameras, ipods, and phones. i work in dc a lot now and they have those speed-trap cameras everywhere. i got an app that warns me when approaching one now and that has all but paid for the phone. the contract thing does suck, but you can buy a used one, jailbreak it, and cut the sim card to fit,

I'm with you. My iphone has let me take my music everywhere, stopped me from getting lost, saved me money on chud records and so much more. It may not be 100% but to me, the pros outweigh the cons.