Toronto Film Festival 2011

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
Here's the annual thread about one of the world's best film festivals, taking place September 8-18. The bulk of this year's line-up has been announced.

Off the top, already on board for this year's edition are new films from Werner Herzog, Lynne Ramsay, David Cronenberg, Frederick Wiseman, Kim Ki-Duk, Jafar Panahi, Lars von Trier (Melancholia, natch), Steve McQueen, Andrea Arnold... and, of course, hundreds of others, with their usually-juicy "Masters" and "Discovery" sections still to be announced. There's also, well, the Kilmer-starring Poe/vampire movie from Francis Ford Coppola featuring a (live?) Dan Deacon soundtrack.
http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/twixt

As usual, the web site could use some work.
http://tiff.net/thefestival/filmprogramming

Here's Indiewire's round-up of the announced titles thus far:
http://www.indiewire.com/article/tiff_list_2011_the_announced_toronto_film_festival_lineup/

Their City-to-City program this year focuses on Buenos Aires -- Argentine films both new and old. Anyone well-versed in that country's cinema care to weigh in?
http://www.tiff.net/thefestival/filmprogramming/programmes/citytocity

Who's attending? Either way, what films would you like to see?

As always, tips on new food (international, veggie), records, bars, etc are welcome. I'll be there for the duration.

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I've been lazy/busy this year and haven't bought a package or looked through the guide. Is it too late? Has the deadline for picks come and gone?

Thanks for the linkage above though. That will help...

I noticed the Andrea Arnold/Wuthering Heights joint - ??!! God I hope there's no Olde English dialogue...but I'm sure it'll be great.

• whats fred wisemans new one about? i saw the preview for the new coppola flick. its pretty amazing how completely terrible it looks. id be embarrassed if i was him. val kilmers fat head looks better.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    ketan said:
    I've been lazy/busy this year and haven't bought a package or looked through the guide. Is it too late? Has the deadline for picks come and gone?

Thanks for the linkage above though. That will help...

I noticed the Andrea Arnold/Wuthering Heights joint - ??!! God I hope there's no Olde English dialogue...but I'm sure it'll be great.

I think it???s too late for the out-of-town selector package (or whatever they call it now). As an out-of-towner lucky enough for work to pay my way, for the last 5 years I???ve gone with that option and usually get all 30 of my picks. Before that I used to roll into town with no tickets in hand, and sometimes it was slim pickens.

I love Andrea Arnold, but I???m not sure this one???s going to be for me.

grandpa_shig said:
    whats fred wisemans new one about? i saw the preview for the new coppola flick. its pretty amazing how completely terrible it looks. id be embarrassed if i was him. val kilmers fat head looks better.
    http://www.tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/crazyhorse
    The Wiseman is about Crazy Horse (the Parisian adult cabaret establishment, not the Neil Young-R band). I don???t love his current films the way I do his 60s-80s material, but they???re always interesting and I never miss the chance to see him speak.

The Coppola looks rough. What a strange career he???s had. This is the film he???s supposed to be taking on the road and re-editing live on his ipad with Dan Deacon playing live music, but it???s unclear to me if it???ll be presented that way at Toronto.

BTW, the full line-up has now been announced, with their just-announced "Masters" program including the latest by Gus van Sant, the Dardennes, Bruno Dumont, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Chantal Akerman, Alexander Sokurov, Bela Tarr, and Aki Kaurism??ki.

individual tickets go on sale the morning of Saturday the 3rd.

Bassie, I remember Day Night Day Night being one of your major TIFF gems; director Julia Loktev has a new one, starring none other than Gael Garc??a Bernal:
    http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/loneliestplanet

The festival even has some :hayek: on offer:
    http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/americano
    (in a film directed by Agnes Varda and Jacques Demy's son, apparently)

• If anyone wants food recommendations, I'm happy to offer them. For film, I'm useless.

• Except veggie. I'm also useless for veggie.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Be interested in feedback from anyone who watches the new Coppola. I suspect it's going to be a heavy dose of style over substance but always intrigued by anything he does. Just been browsing through the site and notice they're showing the latest by Sion Sono which I suspect from the synopsis will be at the very least fascinating and quite possibly another masterpiece.

http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/himizu

• Danno3000 said:
    Except veggie. I'm also useless for veggie.

sushi or fresh/fressen. that's how i do on the veggie hustle.

I got my ticket confirmation email last night, and rec'd 27 of my 30 choices -- the worst I've done, but still pretty great. Of "big" movies, I've got the new Herzog, van Sant, Solondz, Wiseman, Coppola, and Bela Tarr films. The three I didn't get into were the Cronenberg, Steve McQueen, and Lynne Ramsay films; a shame, but they'll all definitely make it to Baltimore eventually, unlike the majority of the films that play TIFF. I'm going to try to add von Trier's Melancholia.

Excited to have a schedule of mostly non-North American films from young directors.

Here are some trailers for a few films that caught my eye and fit my schedule:

• I always enjoy your festival threads. Usually takes me a mere 5 years to finally see the movies. ;)

we're pretty limited w/ time, so we went with a short list of things we won't likely see in theatres - otherwise would have added Shame and the new Dardennes:

Killer Joe (new Friedkin...follow-up to Bug, which blew my mind)
    Romeo Eleven
    Take Shelter (Michael Shannon scares me...also Bug-r)
    The Education of Auma Obama (i used to live in Kenya, so i'm interested in learning about her community work)
    Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory (apparently they're showing the original ending made before they found out that the west memphis 3 were released)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    After 10+years of them still not being able to figure out how to run their website so it doesn't crash on the first day, but spending all that money on their yuppie compound....which meant moving out of one of the best theatres I have ever sat in, Jackman Hall, I am decidedly can't-give-a-f*ck this year. I feel totally removed from the whole thing. I've been going regularly since I was 16; they finally beat it out of me.
    But that's me and my grumpy self.

Have a wonderful Festival!

i feel you (getting single tickets on the 3rd was BRUTAL; also, yuppies), and i acknowledge your grumpiness, but it has to be said that the theatres at the Lightbox are great for movie-watching.

ketan said:
    it has to be said that the theatres at the Lightbox are great for movie-watching.

no doubt. I am just not there yet...you know...emotionally

doubles

bassie said:
    ketan said:
    it has to be said that the theatres at the Lightbox are great for movie-watching.

just picture the yuppies without their clothes on.

bassie said:
    ketan said:

just picture the yuppies without their clothes on.

Oh OK - now you've made it so I'm not going next year either!

sorry to hear you're sitting it out, Bassie, but I can understand. The slick yuppie gloss of the Lightbox is indeed offputting, and if I'd been ordering online I would've been pissed -- their site is archaic, buggy, and counter-intuitive.

That said, I feel like I've still found a schedule built around obscure potential gems from around the globe, which is why I come here. Hopefully I'll have a non-slick, "pure cinema" experience this year as I have many times in the past. To start things off today, however, not so obscure: the new Werner Herzog (Into the Abyss, about a Texas death-penalty case) today at 6pm and the new Gus van Sant tonight at 9.

I have very high hopes for, among others, The Stones (Argentina), Oslo August 31st (Norway, from the director of Reprise), ALPS (Greece, from the director of Dogtooth), The Mountain (a neo-noir from Lebanon), Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (Turkey, from the director of the excellent Climates), Porfirio (true story from Colombia), and Bela Tarr's Turin Horse. Oh, and the Australian/Aboriginal-community doc Tall Man looks complex, intriguing, and angering as well.

If anyone has tips, I have 3 vouchers yet to cash in. Anyone heard anything about the new films from Iran this year (apart from the Panahi, which I'm up on)?

BTW the TIFF site froze/crashed on me several times as I typed this post.

double post

seems like there aren't a lot of strutters following the fest this year, but just in case I have three favorites so far.

VOLCANO--a small production from Iceland about a 60-something retiree who relies on his long-suffering wife for every detail, seemingly incapable of even heating up his own canned soup. Dark comedy turns to serious drama when she suffers a stroke, and he has to figure out how (and if) he can care for two, let alone himself.
    http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/volcano
    (trailer) http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/volcano

URBANIZED--a documentary from the director of HELVETICA collecting (mostly) success stories about cities responding to urban crises and overpopulation with new thinking -- urban gardening in Detroit, new approaches to bike lanes and public transport in Bogota, new approaches to lighting and public safety in South Africa, etc. The filmmaking is fine, but it's the stories and ideas in this one that will have people talking and thinking.
    http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/urbanized

INVASION--a lost masterpiece from Argentina, co-written by Borges and rarely screened broad since its release in 1969. If you like films such as Melville's Army of Shadows and Bertolucci's The Conformist, this is a must-see. Godard's Alphaville also leaves a mark here, primarily through some bizarre comic notes and strident dissonance and blips on the soundtrack.
    http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/invasion

Anyone attending and see anything they loved?

INVASION sounds great...might try to catch the Thursday morning show.

I've only seen Killer Joe so far. It's the second William Friedkin-Tracy Letts collaboration, the first being one of my PMG classics, Bug. Killer Joe is a sharp little black comedy that's highly watchable, but it just wasn't my cup of tea in the end. (And, like Bug, the ending is something else...).

ketan said:
    INVASION sounds great...might try to catch the Thursday morning show.

I loved it, gems like this are why we need repertory cinema. One word about the print/TIFF presentation though: it's a restored 35mm print that looks good, but with French subtitles attached. They were digitally beaming English subtitles above the French, which was a little distracting from the image at times, but more to the point it failed a few times (the English subtitles dropped out completely for a few minutes, and got out of synch several times). I can read French, so I was okay, but other audience members probably didn't fare too well. Hopefully they'll step that process up for the next screening.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Anyone see THE DESCENDENTS?

Really enjoyed this. It's a straightforward coming of age story about a guy with cerebral palsy. Beautiful composition of sight and sound, and oddly, very suspensful.

onetet said:

My favorite new film at TIFF thus far was this sad, hilarious Canadian documentary about residents of a nursing home, filmed over 5 years. Many of the residents have dementia, so it gets into some dark and uncomfortable territory at times. Not for everyone, but I loved it.

The programming has been solid this year, even if I don't feel like I've uncovered any masterpieces... it says something that my least-favorite films so far have been lackluster efforts from two of my favorite directors, Werner Herzog and Frederick Wiseman.

The bourgie notes the festival sounds are increasingly loud, as Bassie noted, and I think it goes beyond the lofts and yuppie bistros of the Lightbox. It feels a bit less about the movies this year, even if there are still excellent films at the festival's core, and more about celebrities and parties and industry and buzz.

3 more days and 10 more movies to go, including the alleged final film from Bela Tarr.