DJ Muro : Hawaiian Breaks CD

TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Someone may have already asked about this mixed cd by DJ Muro, if so sorry for the duplicate query post in advance.

Does anyone have a tracklist for the mix, or even a partial tracklisting would be of some help!
Some nice tracks on the cd like Lemuria and Macky Feary Band, but also other obscure soulful stuff I'd like to know about.

Any help much appreciated....

Mark

Comments

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    hey mark, i just started a blog called Aloha Got Soul. The first post is a tracklist-in-progress to Hawaiian Breaks. I've named a few others then the Macky Feary and Lemuria tracks. Anyone else who can identify more tracks please post to the blog!!!

Check it out: http://alohagotsoul.com/

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Rogb,

Thanks a lot for the reply, had started to think nobody could solve this riddle....hahaha

Please keep me updated as more of the songs are listed (artist, title, label, year).

Tracks 1 & 2 are by Mike Lundy from the album 'The Rhythm Of Life'. (Secor Records 1980)

Regards

Mark

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I got the cover of Sparkle on there on 7"....

• i love kona winds...did that get a release outside of HomeGrown3?

• daam, its a nice mellow mix so far, but its strangely devoid of breaks. mel cabang was probably the first i heard on there. its more like a hawaian modern soul luau

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i love kona winds...did that get a release outside of HomeGrown3?

Only aware of it coming out on the Home Grown 3 comp, like you said great track..

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    djsheep said:
    I got the cover of Sparkle on there on 7"....

djsheep, which track is that?

mark, thanks. i just noticed that discogs has the Lundy tracks listed. i'll keep you posted as the list grows.

anyone who can/has time to rip some raer hawaiian lps PM me, i need more audio for the blog!

ps, What track is that "My Girl Friday" song??

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    rogb said:
    hey mark, i just started a blog called Aloha Got Soul. The first post is a tracklist-in-progress to Hawaiian Breaks. I've named a few others then the Macky Feary and Lemuria tracks. Anyone else who can identify more tracks please post to the blog!!!

Check it out: http://alohagotsoul.com/

Nice one on the blog, look forward to seeing what you get on there! If i here anything appropriate i'll let you know.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    thanks waxon!

did anyone on the strut win that Mix Plate LP that was just on ebay? http://bit.ly/aC3fHb
    i want to hear what else is on it besides Reggae Music.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    That Mix Plate LP is pretty tepid. I remember it being mostly country-ish MOR stuff.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    thanks hcrink. kirk thompson appears only on a few of those tracks anyway. he's the dude who produced the lemuria LP.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i love kona winds...did that get a release outside of HomeGrown3?

No. Outside of the Home Grown albums being for charity, the hope for all of them was that it would either lead to albums deals or more exposure. That song did not get a lot of airplay back then compared to something like "Lihue" or that "My Waimanalo Da Kine". By the time Home Grown III came out, people were either:

1) bored with the 3rd volume
    2) still buying I and II

Short answer: no.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    rogb said:
    thanks waxon!

did anyone on the strut win that Mix Plate LP that was just on ebay? http://bit.ly/aC3fHb
    i want to hear what else is on it besides Reggae Music.

No, but I've had the album for years. It's pop rock with a bit of reggae, but a very small bit since reggae had not blown up as it would a few years later.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    tracklist 1-12

lundy is an acetate.

tracklist 13-24

*edit:
    the only track that had me stumped for the longest time was track #17, the cover of "sun goddess". come to find out, thanks to rog.b of alohagotsoul.com, that it was from a CD recorded in 1994!!! really muro?

i am still bullshitting on a local (from hawaii, but not neccessarily hawaiian) mix of my own.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    damn shitzr. MAHALOS

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Damn....

You wait around so long and think it ain't never gonna happen, and then along comes Shitzr and blows it all up out in the open!!!

My day is now complete, even though it is a Monday...hahaha

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Nice update shitzr, I've been fortunate to come across most of those albums in real life! One year after this thread started, and the track list for DJ Muro's Hawaiian Breaks mix is finally COMPLETE.

Here's the full track list on my Hawaiian music blog, Aloha Got Soul.

Mahalo to shitzr, TDLT, eBay and random eBay sellers, Bobby, and everybody else who helped make this a reality!!

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    (error, posted twice)

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    error, posted three times!!

• i don't know how your copy of the mix is, but mine is split into 24 individual tracks. i didn't see it on your blog, but track #9 is lemuria "the lady & the dude" and track #20 is hal bradbury "call me".

and as relieved as i am about finally knowing what that sungodess cover is, i still can't believe muro was "diggin" in the 90's CD crates for it.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    shitzr said:
    i still can't believe muro was "diggin" in the 90's CD crates for it.

true, but i've been thinking... 1990 is now over 20 years ago and CDs are a dying format, just like vinyl was when the cassettes/CDs became popular. So CDs should be almost as collectable as wax, with a lot of music released solely on CD, nothing else.

Maybe now's the time to start digging deeper into the 90s CDs? Maybe Muro's onto something...

*starts hitting the CD bins*

I'll report back soon...

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Seems like this thread won't go down without a fight... or a new Hawaiian funk mixtape.
    DOWNLOAD: Pupu Mix (free mixtape by Aloha Got Soul)

Pupu Mix: Aloha Got Soul x Fitted Hawaii (free mixtape) by alohagotsoul

Yup, all music is made in Hawaii.