Gas Prices...WTF?

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
on my way home from work yesterday i noticed the shit jumped up a good 30 more cents...fucking 2.70 here...definately

Comments

• stingerstinger 13 Posts
    You know what we should do? Just invade some oil rich country and...

oh shit, wait.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    on my way home from work yesterday i noticed the shit jumped up a good 30 more cents...fucking 2.70 here...definately

I am going on vacation this Friday, and will be DRIVING from Chicago to Minneapolis and the Dells,etc. This shit will most def cut into my record shopping budget!

• I am going on vacation this Friday, and will be DRIVING from Chicago to Minneapolis and the Dells,etc. This shit will most def cut into my record shopping budget!

Yuck, sorry man. I'm lucky I don't need to drive too far at the moment (though the occasional trip to B-more will be rougher than usual.) At least you won't be driving an SUV

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts

I am going on vacation this Friday, and will be DRIVING from Chicago to Minneapolis and the Dells,etc. This shit will most def cut into my record shopping budget!

That's why they're high right now, bacause people are on vacation. They'll probably go down a little bit after labor day.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Come to the UK, and check out our gas prices -

Currently at ??1.02 a litre, and there's 3.78 litres to the gallon. So that's ??3.86 per gallon, which converts to $6.83 per gallon.

To fill up my little 1.4 VW Polo it costs just short of ??35 or $63, which lasts me one week.

Oh yeah - we're loving the going rate for gas.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    $6.83 per gallon.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    That's why they're high right now, bacause people are on vacation. They'll probably go down a little bit after labor day.

i hope so,
    2 trips to VT next month
    (sister nancy & maddoo big up montpelier 9/24),
    austin come october
    & NYC & lancaster monthly
    i need to refine some mantovani's back to petro

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Sweden: approx. $6/gallon

Driving a Mercedes SLR at full speed for an hour (if the tank would have been big enough) would've cost you almost $400.

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts

wishful thinking but no...

its a few things...

1. Supply is tight
    2. There is crisis in all oil producing countries
    3. Smallest growth rate in oil reserves in a while
    4. Difficulty in finding "new oil", all easily accessed oil has already been tapped

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    It's around $3.00 for premium here in the Bay Area. I would suspect $4.00 a gallon will be the norm in about a year. Expect the cost of EVERYTHING to go up in accordance.

its a few things...

1. Supply is tight
    4. Difficulty in finding "new oil", all easily accessed oil has already been tapped

Actually the price of crude just went down. All the points you listed are the long term problems (which will occur). The economy has short and long term pricing curves. Right now nobody's giving up their vacation because of a $.25 raise in gas prices. There's less available supply right here, right now. What's going on elsewhere has nothing to do w/ our vacation habits. After labor day when US leisure travel is low they'll probably go down 10-15 cents (but not overnight like the increase).

• I have a diesel 4wd and it is geting costly paying A$1.20 a litre i am keen to convert it to run on used vegetable oil (from fish and chip shops etc).I know a few people that have done it successfully.Here's a site from the UK
    Veg oil site from UK
    Bouganville rebels used to run their 4WD's on coconut oil and most diesel can be modified easily enough to run on any oil(hemp oil).

As i am from the home of Mad Max I hope it isn't too prophetic
    The future of OIl

• Oil-RR

So what about records? Will dynaflex be re-introduced? Can dynaflex records sound decent?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

its a few things...

1. Supply is tight

Actually the price of crude just went down. All the points you listed are the long term problems (which will occur). The economy has short and long term pricing curves. Right now nobody's giving up their vacation because of a $.25 raise in gas prices. There's less available supply right here, right now. What's going on elsewhere has nothing to do w/ our vacation habits. After labor day when US leisure travel is low they'll probably go down 10-15 cents (but not overnight like the increase).

If M. King Hubbert is to be believed (and he did correctly predict the reduction in domestic US output by the mid-'70s, then the overall production of oil worldwide will begin to subside by the end of 2006 or so...

There haven't been new refineries built in quite some time, especially given that oil hovered around $ 10 a barrel some 4 to 5 years ago...

Given these prices, there's a fair amount of speculation, but oil itself is not an inexhaustible commodity; this also makes the costly and previously prohibitive extraction from Canada's oil sands in Alberta profitable (if you were to include this stock in Canada's oil reserves, then it would rank 2nd only to Saudi Arabia - reminds me of the old Jon Stewart standup anecdote about how Americans will start carin' about their nothern neighbor only when natural resources are @ stake)...

There may be a short spike come the fall b/c of heatin' oil, but that form doesn't require the heavy processin' into light sweet that automobiles use...

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts

its a few things...

1. Supply is tight

After labor day when US leisure travel is low they'll probably go down 10-15 cents (but not overnight like the increase).

I'll take that wager. I bet you it wont.

its a few things...

1. Supply is tight

After labor day when US leisure travel is low they'll probably go down 10-15 cents (but not overnight like the increase).

I'll take that wager. I bet you it wont.

Gas goes down every year after labor day. The amount is my speculation.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

its a few things...
    1. Supply is tight

If M. King Hubbert is to be believed (and he did correctly predict the reduction in domestic US output by the mid-70s, then the overall production of oil worldwide will begin to subside by the end 2006 or so...

There haven't been new refineries built in quite some time, especially given that oil hovered around $ 10 a barrel some 4 to 5 years ago...

Given these prices, there's a fair amount of speculation, but oil itself is not an inexhaustible commodity; this also makes the costly and previously prohibitive extraction from Canada's oil sands in Alberta profitable (if you were to include this stock in Canada's oil reserves, then it would rank 2nd only to Saudi Arabia - reminds me of the old Jon Stewart standup anecdote about American will start carin' about their nothern neighbor only when natural resources are @ stake)...

There may be a short spike come the fall b/c of heatin' oil, but that form doesn't require the heavy processin' into light sweet that automobiles use...

i just heard that there were 'terrorist' attacks on some refineries last week, and one or more were shut down because of it...also i guess 2-3 new refineries are opening up in the next few weeks, bringing down the price after labor day...

coincidence?

• $6.83 per gallon.

It's the same in Holland.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Moving to Tokyo in the spring. I can't wait to bid rid of two cars, paying for two parking places, insurance, gas & maintenance for two cars. All the money we save by not having two cars will buy a lot of good sushi and sake. The subway and train system in Tokyo is DOPE! It's super clean, runs like clockwork and goes all over the city. The subway, a bike and some Air Max 95s - Holla!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yes, makes me question my purchase of a brand new WRX last december. $3.05/gal made seattle to vancouver and back just shy of $80! maybe there's some oil on that farm in crawford, tx?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Diesel people... get the diesel cars and convert them to bio diesel... Bio Diesel is at around $3.00 per gallon now out her on the west coast. While it was never an option before its now a serious consideration...

Diesel people... get the diesel cars and convert them to bio diesel... Bio Diesel is at around $3.00 per gallon now out her on the west coast. While it was never an option before its now a serious consideration...
    how does one convert a 230hp sports car into bio-diesel? no jokes.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Gas goes down every year after labor day. The amount is my speculation.

true. filling up 50 million SUV's for road trips to grandma's house is no joke...

and it is funny to hear people in the US complain about gas prices when we have the cheapest gas prices in the world, outside of oil producing countries...

• It cost us more than $40 to fill the Honda mini-van the other day...ugh...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I spent $42 filling up my '99 Blazer on Sunday (2.50 a gallon )

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    chan - nice, are you moving there for good?

I will holler at you for some of this next time I'm there.....

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Toyko= the only place I know of where bicycle doesn't equal tweaker (It's an East Bay Concord thing).

• Options
    Some of you are making some good points, but missing a few things also.

1. Whoever said the price of crude just went down, you're referring to a one-day decline in price after 5 straight days of new highs. If I'm not mistaken it's back up today (edit: it's down 0.19 at 3:50est, it was up earlier though). And if you're up on your crude price knowledge, you should know that the price of crude takes sometimes three weeks to correlate to the price of gas at the pump.

2. Prices drove higher over the past couple weeks also because of a fire at a Valero refinery in Texas and weather concerns with the approaching hurricane season. Remember last year when massive oil platforms were sent drifting in the Gulf Of Mexico? That affected short-term supply, and prices ran up fast, I think that was the first time it cracked 50 a barrel. Hurricane season is here again, speculators are driving up the contracts in advance of the damage.

Fuck all this. Do yourselves a favor and buy long-dated call options on Valero Energy (VLO) since they're the top refiner of heavy sour crude, which is more available these days than light sweet. Not only that, but they have pricing power and get the heavy sour at a deep discount since no one else will buy it. Might as well make money on the shit, this way you can sit back and listen to people complain about the prices of things and chuckle softly to yourself.

Keep in mind too, Wal-Mart came out today and lowered profit forecasts putting the blame squarely on the price of gas. That's big. Pundits have been wondering when energy prices are going to slow down the economy, the first big indicator came today.

i heard on NPR that for every $.01 gas goes up, it costs a major commercial airliner over $400,000,000 a year. somehow that doesn't makes sense mathmatically, but still... fuck!