The Soul Strut 100

Comments

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Everyone's current avatar albums should make the nom list... (in my case John Coltrane Giant Steps)

Some more, not sure if they've been mentioned:
    Jim Hendrix Experience - Axis Bold As Love
    Various - Tropicalia Ou Panis Et Circencis
    Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown
    James Brown - Live At The Apollo 1962

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Couple things...

Most importantly, I would really like access to the raw database. If you could make it available for everyone, that would be great.

LaserWolf said:
    Every few months we have a what blues records are good thread...
    As someone who has made a couple of these types of threads in the past, I would really like to see a few fields added into the survey that would greatly assist someone interested in exploring a new style. I think genre and a three word style description would really help someone looking at one of these lists. That way, someone interested in finding top jazz albums could sort the list by genre, then browse through the style descriptions to see if it's something they're interested in checking out. This doesn't affect the people determining the top 100 albums and would only create a great database.

I think Odub is right... this is a good opportunity to collect some data about site users. The person that's doing the crunching wouldn't necessarily have to do anything with it immediately, but at least you would have a good data set.

And while I think each person selecting their top 10 would easily create a site wide top 100 list, I would really like to see more nominations than that. If we bump the number up to 15, we'll really have a great database that people can dig into when they're getting into a new style.

• CORTEX deffo needed, seconded
    GAP MANGIONE - diana in the autum wind
    OLIVER NELSON - skull session
    PLACEBO also needs adding
    SHAMEK FARRAH - FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    STONE ALLIANCE s/t
    SUNRISE LTD - UNTIL MY LOVE RETURN

reggae also completely absent!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    V

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
    Various Artists - The Big Chill
    East of Underground
    Soulstrut.com - Breakbeatraer EP
    Trap Door Mix
    The Village Callers - Live

W

Wayne McGhie & The Sounds of Joy
    Webster Lewis - Live at Club 7
    Wendy & Bonnie - Genesis
    Wham! Make it Big
    Whatnauts on the Rocks
    Whispers - Love For Love
    William DeVaughn - Be Thankful For What You Got
    Willie and the Bumblebees - Honey from the Bee
    Willie Tee - I'm Only a Man
    The Winstons - Color Him Father
    Wojciech Karolak - EASY!

Y

Yellow Sunshine
    Youngbloods - Rock Festival
    Yvonne Gray - Lady Gray

Z

Zhane - Pronounced Jah-Nay
    The Zombies - Odessey Oracle

#'s

The 24 Carat Black - Ghetto: Misfortune's Wealth
    100% Pure Poison - Coming Right At You
    1619 Bad Ass Band

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have not seen Jean Grae mentioned.
    Also Kid n Play, Eminiem, D12, Lauren Hill, Crunk, 50c....

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Every time a topic like this comes around, I think I mention that Soul Strut should do compilations (legit, double/triple vinyl with extensive liner notes and fancy packaging).

But the knowledge on this board could make the best damn comps out there.

• Duderonomy said:
    Every time a topic like this comes around, I think I mention that Soul Strut should do compilations (legit, double/triple vinyl with extensive liner notes and fancy packaging).

But the knowledge on this board could make the best damn comps out there.

write on the money there!

• pcmr said:
    i gotta say you are dead on on all of your suggestions so far
    are you simply going through reviews, your collection?
    everyone seems to be worthy, discussed, hyped on this board

This.
    Add the Jazz urself homeboy.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Raj: If you're too busy, I'd be happy to come up with the basic submission form. Musica said he'd be down to crunch the data.

I propose a top 10, unranked, submission format, at least for this initial first round, just to see what pans out.

mannybolone said:
    Raj: If you're too busy, I'd be happy to come up with the basic submission form. Musica said he'd be down to crunch the data.

I propose a top 10, unranked, submission format, at least for this initial first round, just to see what pans out.

Sounds good. The server woahs have set me back a bit... So I'm down for what you proposed. Lets do it!

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Poppy Family-Which Way You Going Billy?
    Slum village-Fantastic Vol. 2

The results are in and tallied.

How do you suggest we unveil these? I thought it would be cool if we did a thread for each record and shared our thoughts.

Or I could the more labor intensive route and have a strutter personally review each one.

Thoughts?

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    No threads, would be a mess I think.
    Reviews ftw

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I just want to see the list.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    I just want to see the list.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i think reviews would be great...first called first served style and would bring more attention to reviews section and perhaps encourage more of them in the future
    can't wait to see it

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    One a week for the next two years

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    barjesus said:
    One a week for the next two years
    great idea and would guarantee good RR talk a week
    let's combine both
    strutters get the review assignment then we talk about them as they come weekly

Yeah... ultimately I would like to have some one to submit a review... but that means I have to recruit writers... give deadlines etc. I'm down if people want to PM me and take a stab.

Trying to keep the list on the down low and slowly unveil it

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Yeah... ultimately I would like to have some one to submit a review... but that means I have to recruit writers... give deadlines etc. I'm down if people want to PM me and take a stab.

Trying to keep the list on the down low and slowly unveil it

I was half joking about one a week, and two years is a long time to keep a secret, but it would certainly be a slow reveal. With a phenomenal payoff of RR content, IMO.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i thought we would see the list shotgun the records to review and then do our homework
    if you are trying to leak it drip by drip than a weekly thread per title could work (sticky style)
    at the end you could have a SS100 subforum

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    why not poast and discuss nr. 26-100 and save the winning quarter to unveil piece by piece in a review/sticky discussion style?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    doisn said:
    why not poast and discuss nr. 26-100 and save the winning quarter to unveil piece by piece in a review/sticky discussion style?

good idea

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I like the idea for separate threads to discuss the albums (maybe top 25?). What about creating a separate Soul Strut 100 forum so that it doesn't disrupt Strut Central?

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    I like the idea for separate threads to discuss the albums (maybe top 25?). What about creating a separate Soul Strut 100 forum so that it doesn't disrupt Strut Central?

Disrupt?

Sitting on a list of results here... this is a mammoth undertaking. Need more suggestions?