Top 5 Places You'd Like to Go

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
With work being as crazy as it has been, I'm already thinking about vacation.

Here's some places I'd like to go before I die (in no particular order).

1. Hokkaido

Northern island of Japan. For some reason, I have been super fascinated with this area of Japan. The landscapes look breath taking and I want to see some snow monkey's chill in hot springs.

2. Drive Route 66

Mainly from Texas to California. I'm super into old motel signs and gas stations.

3. Patagonia in Chile

Want to go there sooo bad. Wouldn't mind chewing on a coca leaf and riding a lama too.

4. Barbados

5. Santorini, Greece

How about you?

Comments

• Im with you on Hokkaido and Patagonia...

let me add
    Antartica

Faroe Islands...just wear a big bulky sweater and hang out eating fish and drinking whatever they drink there

Myanmar...especially the Shwedagon Pagoda

• i am patiently waiting to get back to St Lucia (lets go November)

i would also like to get to the Maldives some day (paradise-r/mega expensive-r)

living as close as i do one would think i would have made it to Montreal, but i havent, i'd love to go check it out and hook up with old friends

back to New York, drove through once on my way to Jersey in 89, have never been back...(its a must on my list of places to see again)

and i would also like to make it to Patagonia some day as well and do some serious hiking

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    RAJ said:

Patagonia in Chile
    Want to go there sooo bad. Wouldn't mind chewing on a coca leaf and riding a lama too.

How about you?

Coca and lama are most common in northern Chile, but mainly in Per?? and Bolivia, fo example. I'm pretty sre there ain't no coca in Patagonia.

Anyway, places I haven't been but I want to:

1. Morocco
    When I was livin in Barcelona I planned to go, but eventually went for Athens.

2. West Africa.

3. Brazil
    When the 2010 World Cup ended a friend and I joked about starting a four year roadtrip to Brazil to be there on time for the next WorldCup. Of course, we didn't.

4. Cuba
    Hopefully before the commander dies.

5. NYC
    I know I know. Haven't been, so...

East Europe was a close 6th. Wouldn't mind a good roadtrip across the Midwest, too.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Route 66 is no where near as beautiful and exotic as those other places but if you want to see old Motels and neon signs it's great. I'd start in Eastern Oklahoma though. If you do this let me know and I can make a couple of decent restaurant recommendations.

• Egypt.

Vietnam

New Zealand

Venezuela

Brazil.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    There are still so many places in Brazil I need to go that's hard to chose any of them.
    And if I think of other countries, the list probably makes 10 places or more.

Brazil:

Fernando de Noronha

Amaz??nia

World:

Egypt

New York

New Zealand

• 1. Brazil
    2. Japan
    3. Fiji
    4. British Colombia
    5. Alaska

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Saturn, Mars, Venus, Neptune, Jupiter

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'd like to make it to:

Vancouver
    Brazil
    Alaska
    Japan
    Rotterdam (for their film fest)

I may be crossing that last off my list in January, fingers crossed.

• Current top 5;
    Japan - Teteyama for snow, I've wanted to go to Tokyo since I was a kid.
    Borneo - Before it dissapears.
    France - Courchevel, Chamonix, Paris obviously.
    Scotland - Mystical, good people, love to DO IT in a camper van.
    Germany - Berlin, RS6 on the Autobahn.

One day, we will do an epic motorcycle journey somewhere, we are yet to agree on a destination. I'd like to go from Greece to China, my partner thinks Afghanistan is a bit 'rapey'.

Places We've been so far;
    Thailand
    Cambodia
    Laos
    Vietnam
    Indonesia
    Nepal
    UK
    India
    Egypt
    Zimbabwe
    Mozambique
    South Africa
    New Zealand
    Lesotho
    Israel
    Turkey
    Spain
    Brazil
    Bolivia
    Cuba
    Mexico
    New York
    Peru
    Argentina

• RAJ said:

2. Drive Route 66

Mainly from Texas to California. I'm super into old motel signs and gas stations.

I'd love to do this also. My partner had no interest in going to America initially, now she can't wait to go back.

• batmon said:
    Saturn, Mars, Venus, Neptune, Jupiter

b/w

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    I have a fascination with Italy as well as remote island clusters such as Svalbard and Tristan da Cunha.

• MoogMan said:

New York

Awesome photo. Truly. One of these things is not like the other.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    1. Patagonia/The Andes

2. I want to go back to Hawai'i

3. NYC

4. Tokio

5. The Azores

• great topic. thanks raj.

1. russia

2. italy

3. israel

4. brasil

5. peru

peace, stein. . .

• Maybe not all time top five, but for now:

Brazil
    Africa
    China
    Greece
    Galapagos Islands

• 1. Route 66
    2. French Polynesia
    3. West Africa
    4. Italy
    5. Alaska

• Martin said:
    can't really wrap my head around picking any place in the world and route 66 making the list. i've driven it, there's a lot better stuff to do on this planet bros.

Yeah, there's several hundred places in the U.S. alone that are more worthwhile.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Been travelling a lot before i got kids, but when they're old enough to go with us, this is the list:

- Camper road trip US (a year if we can pull it financially)
    - Japan
    - Mozambique
    - St. Petersburg, Russia
    - Brazil

• - Central Asia (the "-stans")
    - Middle east trip (Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, Iran)
    - China
    -Central America
    -South America (especially Chile & Brazil)

• 1) Machu Picchu

2) Portland, OR up to Vancouver, BC

3) Tokyo

4) Indian Ocean boat trip starting In Madagascar with stops in the Seychelles, the Maldives, Sri Lanka and Indonesia, ending up in Perth

5) Colombia and Peru

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Dante said:
    RAJ said:

Patagonia in Chile

How about you?

There ain't no coca in Patagonia.

Not in order
    1) Turkey-raers, muezzins, ancient archaeological sites, Troy, all that jazz
    2) Japan-Tokyo, visit friend in Japan, hit "the country"
    3) Peru/Bolivia/Colombia-I'm gonna have to research there, so this one is the most likely to happen first. Machu Picchu, Nazca Lines, Lake Titicaca, La Paz, Bolivian Altiplano, Bogota, etc.
    4) China-Great Wall, South China, Shanghai, all that sheeit
    5) India-find more Bolly raers with my connections, temples, elephants, Udaipur, all that shit.
    Bonus: Nigeria-would probably be a headache (or life threatening), but I'd like to find raers and do research in Lagos and Abuja.

• RAJ said:
    With work being as crazy as it has been, I'm already thinking about vacation.

Here's some places I'd like to go before I die (in no particular order).

1. Hokkaido

Northern island of Japan. For some reason, I have been super fascinated with this area of Japan. The landscapes look breath taking and I want to see some snow monkey's chill in hot springs.

Spent a few weeks in Hokkaido while my cousin lived there in 2005? I think. It was September and fall was just starting to creep in, especially in the mountains. It was awesome. If you decide to go (and I think you should) I can definitely give some advice. Shiretoko Penninsula is one of the coolest places on earth, though it requires hiking in along a rocky beach and then ascending into a steep misty rainforest, plus an overnight tent situation if you plan on going all the way out to the end where you're 2000 feet up in an ancient mountain rain forest surrounded by ocean on three sides. But you can drive around in the area too if the backcountry isn't your thing. The interior of Hokkaido is cool too with mountains, rivers, hot springs and some of the best fish on the planet. I liked Sapporo too even though only there for a day.

My picks:

#1 Picos Europa area in Northern Spain - drove through once and wished I could spend some decent time exploring
    #2 Peru
    #3 Croatia
    #4 Yunnan Province China - ideally guided i think
    #5 Malaysia

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I've been to a lot of places in my life and have been bouncing back and forth between Seoul and Tokyo for the past week. I honestly have to say that if you have never been to Tokyo then you must. It is truly one of the most magical places on earth.

• In no particular order...

1. Turkey
    2. Greek Isles
    3. India (Kerala?)
    4. Vietnam
    5. Japan

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Martin said:
    can't really wrap my head around picking any place in the world and route 66 making the list. i've driven it, there's a lot better stuff to do on this planet bros.

Yeah, there's several hundred places in the U.S. alone that are more worthwhile.

Euroman, especially Euroman w/Motorcycle, seem to love Route 66.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I honestly have to say that if you have never been to Tokyo then you must. It is truly one of the most magical places on earth.

Overcrowded megalopolis. Visiting is cool, but I would NOT want to live there for an extended period.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    I've been to a lot of places in my life and have been bouncing back and forth between Seoul and Tokyo for the past week. I honestly have to say that if you have never been to Tokyo then you must. It is truly one of the most magical places on earth.
    Did you happen to be in Shibuya funk/soul (B1) disk union, early afternoon yesterday?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    1.) Brasil - My girlfriend and I have been planning this trip for years. Summer, 2012, it's on! Will also be there for World Cup 2014 for sure.

2.) Japan - This seems like a country that you'd want to visit with tons and tons of money saved up. I've been enamored with this place ever since I saw my first Kurosawa film. Would love to take like two months and hit up everywhere!

3.) Egypt / Sudan - Up and down the Nile over the course of a couple months would be rad, with occasional jaunts into the desert.

4.) Norway - Could really use a month sailing around the fjords.

5.) Iran - This is total wishful thinking, but I would love to visit this place if the political situation ever changes.

Recommendations:

Turkey
    Colombia
    Indonesia