We're All Jaded (RR)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
So what does the average, non-record geek person think is a large amount of records?

In the last week I've seen ads that said "Tons Of LP's" which wound up being 50.

And another that said "Huge Record Collection" which wound up being less than 100.

What would Paul Mawhinney say?

Comments

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    While I certainly think you have a point, it's hard to judge this by ads. People just want you to buy their crap. I'm always amused at the percentage of garage sale signs that say HUGE SALE! when it's actually pretty small. Just once I would love to see a sign that reads something "BELOW AVERAGE-SIZE SALE!"

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    even outside of CL, i think 100 records is alot to most normies.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    When you have a store and field calls all the time for collections, you realize how different people's perceptions are.

I can't tell you how many people have called me saying they have a LARGE number of records and that they have "everything, you name it" and then it turns out they have like 20 records.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I thought this said "We are all Jared" in relation the other thread.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i got a call from a guy who said he has "the biggest soul & blues collection in Dallas"

i guess he gave himself that title because it was about 250 LPs. and he had at least 20 copies of Winelight

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    In the last week I've seen ads that said "Tons Of LP's" which wound up being 50.

And another that said "Huge Record Collection" which wound up being less than 100.
    This is one of the conundrums of record-duding, though, isn't it? We want the non-nerd populace to know more about records--enough to, for example, more accurately estimate quantity or evaluate condition--but not so much more that they won't sell us shit for cheap.

It's tricky.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Most people I run into can't even look at a pile of records and say how many it is. I once ran into a dude, on the street, with a wagon (regular Radioflyer one) with records in it. He was trying to convince me that it was at least 900 pieces there when actually it was only 150-175 at the most. I told dude if there were 900 records there, A) the wagon would most likely break and, B) he wouldn't be able to pull the wagon.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    "Oh I got an insane amount of albums"
    "That sounds great, about how many would you say you have?"
    "Man I don't know, I could never really count them, but there's a lot! They're old too!"
    "Ok well, can you just give me an estimate of how many you have? A rough number?"
    "Man, there's lots, but if I was to take a guess I'd say, I don't know, like 40-50 albums"

How many times have you had the above conversation? Monthly, weekly, daily?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    james said:
    Rockadelic said:

This is one of the conundrums of record-duding, though, isn't it? We want the non-nerd populace to know more about records--enough to, for example, more accurately estimate quantity or evaluate condition--but not so much more that they won't sell us shit for cheap.

It's tricky.

Truth

I wonder if this is the same with every collectible......I can see folks being the same way with stamps, coins or comic books.

I know a guy in East Texas who answered a CL ad for "100 Records" and it turned out to be 100,000

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Constant problem, although one time dude said he had 250 records and he really had 5k. So, occasionally flipped.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    How many linear ft. of records do you have, sir?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Almost as comical as having people read the record titles over the phone.

:grin:

• I once was called to come to a multi-family compound, which was kind of fascinating and made the whole trip despite coming out emptyhanded. I tried to suss them out as best as I could on the phone and they hit on all counts either inadvertently or to deliberately mislead:

1) eccentric brother
    2) psychedelic rock collector
    3) majority sealed
    4) 500-1000 records

It ended up being 60 records, garden variety Jefferson Airplane and CSNY stuff. As politely as I could I asked if they had sold off the good stuff to a prior record buyer.. I was told no. I inquired where the sealed records might be and the guy whips out a Live/Dead in shrink with one of the records missing and tells me "This goes for $90 on The Popsike." Beat a hasty retreat.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Stopped in at Backspin Records the other day and watched as Strutter GeneP oh so politely had to tell dude that his Rush Moving Pictures album with a busted cover was not worth more than 2 dollars. Dude, and not a crackhead I might add, crumbled like he was expecting to hear that it was actually worth $200.

b/w

"It's still got the original inner sleeve in there."

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Yes.
    Every day alll day long
    "I have thousands of records".
    I have OLD records like... A) Bing Crosby and Tommy Dorsey B) Elvis and Johnny Cash C) Elton John and Santana D) Phil Collins and Bryan Adams"
    "I have tons of old 78s, like Led Zeppelin and Slayer."
    "They are mint, I haven't played them in years"
    "They are mint. Do they have to have their jackets?"
    "I know they are not scratched, we played them all the time."
    "I have some John Denver, and I know he is dead!"

All actual quotes. I tell them all I want to see them. No one is going to say I have Randy Rice and Stark Reality. They might have them, but chances are they never played them and have no idea how they got them.

If I want to know the # I ask how many boxes/crates or how many feet of shelving. Mostly I don't bother because I am going to look any way.
    Same with size and speed. People don't know if they have 45s, 33s, or 78s or 7", 10" or 12" or lps or singles. Why should they? They are normal people with real lives.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Almost as comical as having people read the record titles over the phone.

:grin:

Over the phone, "I have an original copy of the first Beatles record. What is it worth?"
    "I would have to see it to know."
    "It's original. About how much is it worth?"
    "Can you bring it in?"
    "How much is it worth?"
    "Appraisals are $75 an hour."

• Today:

"Hello, do you BUY records?"
    "Yes I do. What kind-"
    "What kinds of records do you buy?"
    "I buy everything except classical, show tunes, and pop vocal."
    "oh... no classical, show tunes - like, broadway?"
    "yes, ma'am-"
    "and what?"
    "pop vocal. Perry Como, Andy Williams, Bing Crosby..."
    "What about rock?"
    "I buy rock."
    "Like, Chicago? And The Who?"
    "Sure..."
    "Which ones?"
    "I don't usually buy Chicago... I buy The Who-"
    "How much do you pay, because I live in the Bronx, it's quite far..."
    "It depends. The title and condition."
    "Condition, and what?"
    "The title. Certain albums are worth more than others by the same group."
    "Oh..."
    "About how many records do you have?"
    "I don't know, 30?"
    "Well yeah, just bring them down-"
    "It's very far."
    "I usually won't do a house call unless it's a few more records than that. Say, 100..."
    "Oh, so a LOT of records."
    "Well no, that's not a lot, really, just one box of records or a shelf..."
    "What trains go to you?"
    "The 6 is the closest train. Where are you coming from?"
    "Is that the end of the line?"
    "No."
    "Do you buy The Beatles?"
    "Yes, I do-"
    "Because maybe those would be worth more than the others."
    "Depends, but yeah, I buy most everything by the Beatles and will pay you fair for them..."
    "How much?"
    "Well it depends, but in mint condition-"
    "What?"
    "Good condition, look, I have to see them, so if you-"
    "There's one I heard that's worth a LOT of money, Yesterday & Today."
    "Yes, well, there's a particular cover variation-"
    "What?"
    "The cover. There's a thing with the cover, it's rare-"
    "So the cover? The record doesn't matter?"
    "No, everything matters, look, it would be best if-"
    "You can't come to look at them?"
    "Well, I could, if I was in the Bronx, but I don't think I'll have time before next week, I'm traveling-"
    "Oh! It would be better if you came. Because it's very far, and I've got a lot-"
    "30 records is probably not enough, ma'am - it shouldn't be too hard to bring them, people bring that amount of records in all the time..."
    "But I don't have a car. And you said you won't take Chicago."
    "Well, ok, look: why don't you call me next week, middle of the week, and let's see if we can find a time-"
    "For you to come by?"
    "Yes, for me to come by-"
    "But then I would have to put them in a box, and..."
    "I have to go."

• Also today:

"Hello, do you buy records?"
    "Yes, I do..."
    "I have a collection I want to sell."
    "Ok, cool. What kind of music?"
    "It's three records, by Michael Jackson."
    "No thank you."

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Today:

"Yes I do. What kind-"
    "yes, ma'am-"
    "and what?"
    "What about rock?"
    "I buy rock."
    "Sure..."
    "Which ones?"
    "Condition, and what?"
    "Oh..."
    "I don't know, 30?"
    "It's very far."
    "I usually won't do a house call unless it's a few more records than that. Say, 100..."
    "What trains go to you?"
    "No."
    "Yes, I do-"
    "Depends, but yeah, I buy most everything by the Beatles and will pay you fair for them..."
    "How much?"
    "What?"
    "What?"
    "Well, I could, if I was in the Bronx, but I don't think I'll have time before next week, I'm traveling-"
    "Oh! It would be better if you came. Because it's very far, and I've got a lot-"
    "30 records is probably not enough, ma'am - it shouldn't be too hard to bring them, people bring that amount of records in all the time..."
    "Well, ok, look: why don't you call me next week, middle of the week, and let's see if we can find a time-"
    "For you to come by?"
    "I have to go."

I read this as if it were a Jerky Boys routine....classic.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Today:

"Yes I do. What kind-"
    "yes, ma'am-"
    "and what?"
    "What about rock?"
    "I buy rock."
    "Sure..."
    "Which ones?"
    "Condition, and what?"
    "Oh..."
    "I don't know, 30?"
    "It's very far."
    "What trains go to you?"
    "No."
    "Yes, I do-"
    "How much?"
    "What?"
    "What?"
    "For you to come by?"
    "I have to go."

Using Sol Rosenberg's voice really does liven up the dialogue. Amazing. "I'll bring the records, and my shoes and glasses. So I have them."

• She definitely had the confused old Jewish lady thing down pat.

people in the shop were cracking up as I become more and more visibly irritated.

BRUTAL
    I find that those individuals rarely surprise me with something of note.

• well I have no problem buying things that are not "of note", I just like for the more mundane aspects of my job to be made relatively painless.

Seriously. It's convos like that that get you to realize things like listening comprehension, logic, and reasoning are not universally equal.

The_Non said:
    Seriously. It's convos like that that get you to realize things like listening comprehension, logic, and reasoning are not universally equal.

I realized this today right here on SS!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The_Non said:

I realized this today right here on SS!

Hey,

Also, as a college professor, I have realized, very quickly, the lack of comprehension among students. Sometimes, 'higher education' seems like a huge misnomer. Geez!!! And yes, regular (non-record nerd) folks tend to grossly underestimate what constitutes 'a lot' of records. Plus, 99% of the time, they think their shitty, top-40 LPs represent collectibles. I have wasted much gasoline and time on such record-grabbin' missions.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Most people cannot count, it's as simple as that.

My partner and I were on a house call several months ago from a lady claiming she had 7000 45s. We went there and saw about 200 or so crappy singles in a box. Lady (looking directly at the box) says, "It's gonna take you awhile to go through those 7000 records." I didn't have the heart to tell her about her poor estimation skills. I did tell her that it would be pretty hard to fit 7000 of anything in a box of comparable size.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i actually went on a house call where the guy said he had 10 boxes of records and a few in the hall. but it was more like 50 boxes of records and a hall way you couldn't walk through because it was stuffed with records.

but yea that was a one time thing.

usually its a gross underestimation.

• Rockadelic said:

before seeing this i read JP's dialogue with that voice. summer camp '92 walkman tape moves revealed.

and i don't want to be that dick or encourage anyone to violate wiretap laws.. but certain store phone recordings could be :comedy_gold:

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Its funny though because I know of a lot of mega-rare 45s that have been plucked out of stacks of like 20 or so otherwise worthless titles, think Step-By-Step or Chefs sandwiched in between 70s Isley Bros and Issac Hayes. With the exception of the obvious goldmine scores (uncles owning record shops, radio djs, etc...) it almost seems like you're just as likely to find the crazy shit in a little stack like than the bigger and juicier looking collections.