TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Le Tiss and Beardo are legends in my book.
    I seem to remember Le Tiss only being given a shot once he was already close to 30 and struggling with his pie thighs.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    I know you don't wanna hear it from Jonny Foreigner but here's where I bring up the travesty of no Macca even in the squad in 2002, with England going 1 up against Brazil. Someone who knew what to do with the ball at his feet, and also with the ball not at his feet. Surprisingly rare qualities for young men who are paid an absolute fortune.

Gerrard, Scholes, Beckham were not even close to being that type of player.

Agreed. No idea why the interviewer keeps bringing up Joe Cole either. In England, it seems that somebody who can do the odd step-over and more than 5 tee-ups is considered a 'fancy Dan' flair player. It's about so much more than flair. I think Scholes made a great deep-lying mid, but not a 10. Gerrard would be useless at this and I still think the best performance I've ever seen from him for England was at RB. Beckham is a good player, but to work between the lines as a 10 you'd need to be able to beat players with the ball occasionally, and then find that killer pass, preferably along the ground. He had a go at playing 'Quarter-Beck' as the papers dubbed his stint as a CM for England, and it didn't work at all.

I think Beardsley and Le Tiss have been the most natural 10s that England have produced. Le Tiss should've been the main man for Euro '96, sitting behind Shearer & Sherringham. Don't think he got to play for England until qualifyers for '98. He was ususally given the final 5-10 minutes to make an impression.

I also remember the incredulity of Zidane, Figo & Raul that McManaman couldn't get into the England team at the time he was bossing games in the Champs league. Thing is, put Xavi in a Stoke shirt and even he'd look shit if he never got the ball back because it kept flying over his head to the big man up front. Especially on a cold Tuesday night away to Blackburn.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Scholes was a great team player, the sort you'd rather play with than against etc etc, but he was basically Batty+finishing.

That is a good point about Gerrard as a full back. Physically, he looks like he should be playing somewhere like that, but it would be seen as "beneath" a star player to be there, even if they are the best at it.

Beckham is Beckham, pretty unique player, probably faded early due to the role he was given as some sort of leader/captain, which he ain't.

All 3 were devastating strikers of the ball - something that is admired around the world as a particular trait of English football. But that doesn't guarantee shit as far as wins and losses, and is no reason to build a team around someone. Fergie knows this well enough.

I haven't seen enough of Joe Cole in action - nor has he probably, but he always seemed like a less greedy Michael Owen. Great to have, but not a "fantasia" player or whatever. That shit comes from deeper in the field I would think.

Sherringham was possibly underrated for his abilities. There was a brief period when Spurs supplied a few creative type players but they were mostly a bit fragile.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Also, this tryna say something?

Life away from football

Edinburgh also owns two Toni & Guy hair salons with his business partner, Jim Shaw.[10]

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Just giving this thread a helpful bump.

• Really horrible, I feel sorry for Jenkinson. I'm awaiting Chizzle to come in here with a picture of Rooney and some capital letters.

Young and Rooney in the fantasy team though, that's the real trophy!

DocMcCoy said:
    Just giving this thread a helpful bump.

You bastard.
    Last season it was only the defence that needed sorting out. Now it's the defence, the midfield, and the attack. We're doooooooomed.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Arsene Wenger has been cast in the remake of Brewsters Millions. 80M to spend in 3 days....can he do it.

fucking disgrace. away fans should get their money back, Arsenal FC should offer a public apology. And its not fair to bleed in that many kids all at one time. such a disgrace.

ugh....need booze to ease the pain

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Grampus 8 called. They want their grampa back.

• today, a part of football died.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the second rooney free kick was the real stab in the neck
    somewhere berbatov is mumbling i should have been dzeko

• pcmr said:

Why?

As bad as the scoreline was today, at least 4 of United goals were unstoppable.
    Tottenham have a lot more to worry about than Arsenal after todays games.

Modric is a little bitch and needs to fuck off.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    pcmr said:

Why?

Tottenham have a lot more to worry about than Arsenal after todays games.

Modric is a little bitch and needs to fuck off.

i meant to say that he would have wanted to start and score a lot

arsenal's penalty could have swinged the momentum but these Utd setpieces which used to be a weakness are really improving...it's a shame for well beck and the england euro squad
    modric posturing before the game is wack but not delivering on the pitch is horrible
    however i'll be glad to see chelsea pick him up before wednesday or spurs are shooting themselves in the foot. They will sell crouch and him and need to make some kind of deals to assure they are competitive this season. (they need a better midfielder)

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Wow, what a crazy day today. Can't wait for the Man U / Man City showdown!

City is looking awfully promising with this new Nasri - Dzeko combo. Silva is a combo all in one, and Aguero is a beast!

I think if Carroll finds his swing and Meireles gets back into fitness quickly, Liverpool will be able to hang in the top four and might even take some teams from title contention.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    actually spurs are in better shape than arsenal. cuz even though they have a bitch for a creative midfielder, they ya know...at least have a creative midfielder.

AFC once again got played in the transfer market and now if we buy its gonna be on some Brewsters Millions shit and we are gonna either over pay or buy shit (see squiallaci) or more likely we wont buy cuz no one is really around and then we will just have to hope and pray our players dont get injured or suspended so maybe, just maybe, we can play for 4th place.....again.

• Wenger should throw 30m in for Schweinsteiger if you ask me.

Tottenham don't need midifelders - they need a striker that offers them something different(after last year, goals would be nice).
    and a decent CB. Dawson is hugely overrated.
    If Sandro had been playing yesterday it would have been a different story.

Rosicky's thinking, "I spent how long in rehab for this?"

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    That article was a fun ride of a read without really saying very much about Arsenal. Not much questioning of the fancy pasta aerobics 'New System' crap got them exactly zero champs league trophies. I remember they would have little focus bits on MoTD or whatever looking behind the scenes ... "no more post-match drinks at the bar" type stuff and shots of physios rubbing dudes thighs.
    Hmmm....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/aug/27/david-james-sports-science

b/w

No gooners calling for Wenger's head on a stick? You think he is still gonna peak once all the problems of injury, suspension, and youth are solved.... What is football management all about then? You'd rather play/pray for 4th place against Man U/City/Pool/Chelsea with Wenger in charge than miss one year of Champs league and come back stronger within 2? That's really shortsighted IMO. You can still win the UEFA cup anyway.

Victorian era defeat. For reals.

• looks like man city is the new arsenal.

peace, stein. . .

• youngEINSTEIN said:
    looks like man city is the new arsenal chelsea.

peace, stein. . .

fixed that for you.

unless i missed the period where our foreign owner spunked cash on building a fantasy football team...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Bentley from The Jeffersons presented them with some English Bangers from the downstairs deli in the first episode.

I copped from Fairway this morning. How do i cook them?

batmon said:
    Bentley from The Jeffersons presented them with some English Bangers from the downstairs deli in the first episode.

Gently fry them in a little oil until they've turned a sort of caramel colour. Alternately, stick them under a grill for about seven or eight minutes, turning halfway.

Serving suggestion;

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Doc: think Meireles is going to get pushed out? He is such a fan-favorite and a great compliment to Suarez, but I get how Dalglish might want to cut out any Hodgson relics.

Can't wait to see how Coates does.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    batmon said:

Gently fry them in a little oil until they've turned a sort of caramel colour. Alternately, stick them under a grill for about seven or eight minutes, turning halfway.

Serving suggestion;

Alternatively, fry them up, make an onion gravy using the juices and serve with a huge heap of mashed potato and garden peas. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper, consume all, then lie down for half an hour.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:

No interest in rubbing salt in the wounds here but just wanted to highlight how truly awesome Young was once again. Always rated him but never expected him to step up so quickly and so efficiently. His first goal was a blinder.

Also, Hargreaves to Citeh? Don't think even the all seeing Sky Sports ticker predicted that one.

musica said:
    Doc: think Meireles is going to get pushed out? He is such a fan-favorite and a great compliment to Suarez, but I get how Dalglish might want to cut out any Hodgson relics.

Can't wait to see how Coates does.

I pray that Coates doesn't turn out to be the new Pellegrino. Centre-backs don't usually emerge fully-formed, but need a little time to mature. Even experienced ones can struggle with the pace of the PL at first - Laurent Blanc's first few games for United were shockers. If he bucks either trend, I'll be happy.

I don't see Meireles as a Hodgson relic. Even though he came into the side during Hodgson's term, it was pretty clear from some of the comments Hodgson made about him that this was a deal that had been set up before Rafa left. He said something about being unsure where to play him, and didn't even have the guile to pretend he'd seen him play for Portugal when he was covering the World Cup for the BBC.

I'm tempted not to read too much into his season so far. He took a knock at Exeter in the Carling Cup, so he's out for a couple of weeks at least - I knew his Berger-esque tendency to crap out of challenges would cost him eventually. I think he's far too creative a player for Kenny to ship him out as part of a cost-cutting/headcount exercise, especially when you put him up against the players he has got rid of - Konchesky, Kyrgiakos, Poulsen, El-Zhar. After the utterly transformed Lucas, he was probably our best player last season, and I think Kenny will find a role for him.

Sooner or later, people are finally going to start making the connection between the absence of Steven Gerrard and the corresponding improvement in our overall performance and the quality of our football.

The only positives I could take from the 8-2 hiding were that lots of Man U's better performers were English (Ashley Young was so good, I didn't even register at first that this meant him too), and that Wenger now has to spend some money on players.

I still can't believe that Wenger/Arsenal board didn't act sooner to replace Cesc & Nasri. If we'd put in that 20 million bid for M'Vila before we sold them, I doubt we would've been rebuffed for more cash. Arsenal have left themselves with only a couple of days to strengthen the squad, and we won't get any bargains, let alone the players we actually want or need.
    Mertesacker has experience and height, but ye gods, he's slow.

Have been reading about how we offered Fulham 5 mil for Schwarzer, they asked for 6, and we stubbornly said "no", and persevered with Almunia for another season...
    I actually believe that Bolton were given a derisory bid for Cahill. Maybe it was 6.5 mil.

Deadline day rumours; Balotelli likely to be photographed sporting ridiculous headgear whilst leaving London nightclubs rather than Manchester ones in future. If he's sober as well, that'll at least be an improvement on Ledley King.

WTF?

Swinehunds.

b/w

Just scored this as a BIN for ??40; Junior - without wanting to put the jinx on it's postage, if you want a decent rip when it arrives let me know.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Sup dudes.

Not really interested in gloating the 8-2, more so my 110 point haul in the Fantasy League.

I see SSN are reporting major Man Utd transfer news, breaking any minute....