TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I did say 'IMHO'

FWIW there's no glory for Chelsea either.

You win the owner lottery, go on a buying spree and it all feels good?

I think not, certainly not for me.
    Organic, in line with history and local means, based on a connection with the community and in-situ populace, or it is entirely w/o meaning. IMHO.

I'd walk away son if my club's yankee owner went boutique digging like we have witnessed these past years.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    The problems started when the sport, at the professional level, became so profitable. I'd love City to win it fielding 11 reformed soapdodgers all born within a petrol-bomb's throw from the Arndale. But there are only so many managers that can turn urine into wine. For the rest, the talent has to be bought in.

Here we are.

Of course, talent has always been bought in, but it all used to be of a piece, there was always a sense of naturalness to ManU having more to spend than others for example. A Clough or Shankly or Revie were able to turn that urine into wine, and many others trod a similar path. You'll remember the likes of Everton, Norwich, QPR etc etc in our time operating on a level that gave them the possibility of competing at the top.

Now your only chance is a bored playboy billionaire's eye alighting on a profit/profile opportunity.
    The disconnection is complete.

It stinks to high heaven. It will not last. AFC Wimbledon and FC United is where we are otherwise headed.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    skel said:
    I did say 'IMHO'

FWIW there's no glory for Chelsea either.

You win the owner lottery, go on a buying spree and it all feels good?

I think not, certainly not for me.
    Organic, in line with history and local means, based on a connection with the community and in-situ populace, or it is entirely w/o meaning. IMHO.

I'd walk away son if my club's yankee owner went boutique digging like we have witnessed these past years.

Well, your mileage may vary. And apologies if I seemed a little bristly - not my intention.

Given the choice, I'd rather we didn't go spending ??35m on a player like Andy Carroll, who could quite easily turn out to be just another of those exceptional-by-Championship-standards strikers who look deceptively impressive in their first PL season (until you remember that in his case half of it was spent on the treatment table). I'd also like the CL to be open to league champions alone (even though that would effectively validate one of our five European Cups), but I don't see that happening while there's breath in Platini's body. But I digress - returning to Andy Carroll (or Luis Suarez, Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, etc), if he scores the goals that win us our first League title in over twenty years, I can assure you at that point that I will not give a fuck how much money he cost.

The debate about connections with the community and so on is an active one on Merseyside. Apparently, all our fans come from Norway or Dublin or the South East. Or the Far East. Which is news to me, who was born walking distance from Anfield. In recent years, the removal of the PTS in favour of a membership scheme with less access to tickets hasn't gone down too well with many of the Anfield lifers, and I have no doubt there's as much bellyaching about the general direction of the game at Anfield as there is everywhere else. Sad as this diminishing sense of community is to the romantic in me, the alternative for us is that we become Everton - the sackcloth-and-ashes "people's club" who sell all their best players for millions and still don't have a pot to piss in, and who wear their inability to compete in the transfer market and on the park like a badge of honour. Fuck that noise. If we have to spend to avoid another season like the last one, spend away. Almost twenty years of mediocrity is plenty, as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who would willingly choose an eternity of it is welcome to it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    double post

I agree that if fans want to be part of that billionaire roulette, then good luck to them. But Neil said further up thread about teh Arsenal model, implying that financial stability was admirable and so on.

If you buy into that oligarch game, surely you couldn't give a fuck about the clubs finances. Your club and the premise it is based on is financially unsustainable in the long run. Surely much better that you demand your oligarch dude to stump up until he is broke, and then is forced to sell the club to the next moneybags that craves limelight. Your club will not cease to exist. (c.f. AFC W and FC U of M.)

The alternative for the rest of us who find this scenario a bit too much to stomach, is to cut out EPL from our lives and live in a football world that is much closer to bygone eras. We trade in the pyrotechnics that C. Kickaball and co can provide for a more satisfying unpredictability and a small pinch of hope.

I agree it's more chilled watching lower-division affairs. Even between rival fans, the hostility seems to be that bit lower, in a kind of "We're all a bit shit down here and we know we are" spirit. I've watched a few Notts County games as sometimes we get tickets for nowt. Now, I'm frankly shit at football, but some of the hoofs you see swung down there, makes a mug think that we are witnessing nothing special. Like, "Wow. I can shank it into Row Z just like he did."

Coversely it's nice to see some of the best players in the world strut their stuff and dream of having that level of skill. I saw Brasil v Ukraine in October and there was none of that Row Z palaver. Very few slack passes, instant ball control :pasue:, overall speed of play was very noticeably notches higher. You have to feel good about having the likes of them fellers on your side.

Should the other 16 teams in the prem (apart from Un*ted, LFC, Chelsea and Arsenal) be content with being told they should know their place and stop dreaming, doffing their caps to the big 4 in the queue for a ??20M player as they "Haven't earned the right" to eat at the big table?

You win the lottery, you don't move house or buy an obscene 4-wheeled two-fingered gesture to the proles because you haven't earned it? GTFOOHWTBS.

J i m s t e r said:
    Should the other 16 teams in the prem (apart from Un*ted, LFC, Chelsea and Arsenal) be content with being told they should know their place and stop dreaming, doffing their caps to the big 4 in the queue for a ??20M player as they "Haven't earned the right" to eat at the big table?

You win the lottery, you don't move house or buy an obscene 4-wheeled two-fingered gesture to the proles because you haven't earned it? GTFOOHWTBS.

These 16 now live a life in limbo, nothing to live for. What is the point of Everton, Blackburn, Fulham, Wigan, Wolves? VILLA FTW.
    Their fans get joy from the banal predictability of their season? GTFOOHWTBS.
    Sport is nothing without the hope of some magnificence. These 16 have no hope.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    On a related topic, have people read this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2011/aug/23/carlos-tevez-legal-battle-revealed

Bit lengthy to quote and assume it's been picked up by all those on here who read the Guardian but the actual details of Tevez's agreements still boggle the mind a little.

It would be good to get you dudes to compare and contrast EPL with the investment bank industry.

Both run by super wealthy greed monsters.
    Both employ young, brash, testosterone fuelled men who "earn" obscene money, engage in douche activities and have all the qualities of the proverbial dog except loyalty.

In the one industry, dudes are imploring the management to throw more money at these socially useless pricks, and in the other....not so much.

Why aren't you dudes outside Barclays demanding that Bob Diamond poach some young buck on double wages, rather than vilifying them?

Please speak on it.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Well, for starters I can choose whether to invest/throw money at one set of millionaires or not, while the other set have cost me money twice, firstly by fucking the economy up, and then I'm bailing their arses out.
    I can watch a SKY game on t'internet for free.
    I can't get around the effect the bankers have had on this country though.

Re: the Barclays comment, picking up new talent, yeah, if I had my way we would've let all of the banks fail. Then put an end to bonuses. All this talk about the 'talent' moving abroad, pffft, WHAT fucking talent? There'd be a que a mile long of people willing to do the same jobs, without bonuses, and with a clear remit NOT to fuck things up.

Deleated

Duderonomy said:
    Well, for starters I can choose whether to invest/throw money at one set of millionaires or not, while the other set have cost me money twice, firstly by fucking the economy up, and then I'm bailing their arses out.
    I can watch a SKY game on t'internet for free.
    I can't get around the effect the bankers have had on this country though.

Re: the Barclays comment, picking up new talent, yeah, if I had my way we would've let all of the banks fail. Then put an end to bonuses. All this talk about the 'talent' moving abroad, pffft, WHAT fucking talent? There'd be a que a mile long of people willing to do the same jobs, without bonuses, and with a clear remit NOT to fuck things up.

LOLers!
    Damn.

Good old L*o!

FWIW I also advocated letting the banks fail. We'll never know what that outcome would have been. (see threads passim).

I think you might have found though that whatever the course of action taken by the govts of the day, we would have ended up one way or another in the same boat as now. You can't take that kind of money out of the system without consequence.
    The difference would really reside in your mind, where you would lack the anger that currently drives you on. And that's got to be worth something, no?

BTW, look out for a package of vultured bootsale and chazza Britfunk raers soon

skel said:

FWIW I also advocated letting the banks fail. We'll never know what that outcome would have been. (see threads passim).

I think you might have found though that whatever the course of action taken by the govts of the day, we would have ended up one way or another in the same boat as now. You can't take that kind of money out of the system without consequence.
    The difference would really reside in your mind, where you would lack the anger that currently drives you on. And that's got to be worth something, no?

BTW, look out for a package of vultured bootsale and chazza Britfunk raers soon

Yeah, obviously there must be some talent in the banking sector. There must be ;-)
    Could be that letting the banks fail would've just brought us to this possible second recession/depression a little sooner. No idea if that would've been better or worse, but as it's a rare thing to see 'justice for all', I wouldn't mind the odd opportunity to rest from railing against the system and the injustices of life. I'm sure you've seen some of the backlash to harsh sentences for rioters - 5 years for a bottle of water, how many for hiring Andy Coulson? Bowing down at the feet of [strike]Mammon[/strike] Murdoch in the very seat of British political power (re: Murdoch's back door entrance private meetings @ number 10)?

This place is far too comfortable for a real revolution. We'd need the middle classes to be reduced to a state of indentured servitude for life, with no chance of escaping the position you are born into, no chance of getting on the property ladder, no chance of being able to save enough to look after yourself in whatever is left of retirement in the near future... oh, hang on a minute. OK, abject poverty, like no Easy Jet holidays somewhere hot should do it.

This damn mix I've been working on is starting to piss me off, so peeps may soon receive a work-in-progress version for feedback... please view as some kind of exchange for chazza breaks should you need to send the chud.

Duderonomy said:

This place is far too comfortable for a real revolution. We'd need the middle classes to be reduced to a state of indentured servitude for life, with no chance of escaping the position you are born into, no chance of getting on the property ladder, no chance of being able to save enough to look after yourself in whatever is left of retirement in the near future... oh, hang on a minute. OK, abject poverty, like no Easy Jet holidays somewhere hot should do it.

This damn mix I've been working on is starting to piss me off, so peeps may soon receive a work-in-progress version for feedback... please view as some kind of exchange for chazza breaks should you need to send the chud.

Isn't this what Russia and now China are walking away from (son)?

I just uploaded Subliminal Massage (the newer mix) which comes in at a single chunk of over an hour, whereas the rawer, earlier mix was in two chunks of half hour each.
    That Banglash. You need artwork on the next one.

skel said:
    Duderonomy said:

Isn't this what Russia and now China are walking away from (son)?

And look at them now? Aint done them no harm save a gulag here or there.
    As much as I'd like to see le Arse spend the money, I don't want Usmanov in charge. So I guess Gunners are keeping it real, the club is living within it's means... and winning sh*t all.
    Big game tonight. Could cost us ??25 mil. That's a Nasri. Or a Cesc if you're Barca.

You need artwork on the next one.

Had something like this in mind as a mate of mine has a special cd burner thing that can splat designs and such 'pon a disc.

Careful with that.

I have a number of cds burned by the Soho record collector gang back in the late 80s and early 90s that are unplayable now due to that home-printing shit.

Though looking back at the track listings, it's fairly tame stuff, so no big loss. Dynamite back then, mind.

• I feel like ranting about the bullshit i see everyday in my neighbourhood at the moment, suffice to say one neighbour shots green, one neighbour's shotting stolen phones, broken glass on the stair you know they just dont care, etc etc. riots come, riots go but day to day urban criminality is here to stay bitches. now i see it so clearly i can't make up my mind - is it because we house these people and give them benefits that they feel empowered? i think they would still shot green and sell phones given a wider choice of options. maybe i should interview them. so bill (name changed), first floor, why have you made these choices? did the choices make you? i can't work out why dudes girlfriend can't call him but chooses to throw pennies at his window (missing his and hitting mine most of the time) to let him know she's outside. is it because like most men, he will pick up the phone for weed but not for his girlfriend?

I read on another forum that crime in London is still well above normal, but the police have asked the media not to report anything for fear of kick-starting similar sh*t anywhere else.
    Tories would love to sweep it all under the carpet though.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Britain needs to be tougher on crime, tougher on the causes of crime. Also, private prisons.

I hate that British politicians are always harping on about "America" (which isn't a country, they are mainly referring to an idea more than anything) when you know their main experience with the US is 96 hours spent in the Orlando metro area.

I also hate that Duggan apparently texted that "The Feds" were on him. WTF dude? The Feds? Really? I don't think they have jurisdiction.

So yeah, that's my beef with Engerland from where I am sat. Keep trying to be like "America" and end up with all the worst shit before anyone else in Europe. Well done! And you still can't rap (it's the glottal stop).

Just find out who you really are already. World Cup glory awaits.

Duderonomy said:

Them pesky Tories, eh? Tch.

Labour would have sorted out the whole sorry mess, given the time and a fair economic wind.

Oh wait

• skel said:
    Duderonomy said:

Labour would have sorted out the whole sorry mess, given the time and a fair economic wind.

Oh wait

you're right, yes labour did sweet FA. BUT. i still hate the tories so, so, so very much. at least labour came back from holiday when shit caught fire!

• SportCasual said:
    Britain needs to be tougher on crime, tougher on the causes of crime. Also, private prisons.

I hate that British politicians are always harping on about "America" (which isn't a country, they are mainly referring to an idea more than anything) when you know their main experience with the US is 96 hours spent in the Orlando metro area.

I also hate that Duggan apparently texted that "The Feds" were on him. WTF dude? The Feds? Really? I don't think they have jurisdiction.

So yeah, that's my beef with Engerland from where I am sat. Keep trying to be like "America" and end up with all the worst shit before anyone else in Europe. Well done! And you still can't rap (it's the glottal stop).

Just find out who you really are already. World Cup glory awaits.

I'm pretty sure "The Feds" as used here is short for "Federales". Over the past decade there has been a huge decline in the numbers of people joining the police force, so the Met in particular has been employing Mexican immigrants to keep the force at full strength. Hence, "Feds". However, I will concede that this is ultimately another example of England/Britain (they're the same thing, right?) aping it's U.S. cousins.

By the way, what are all your presidents referring to when they keep saying "God bless America"?

• lol sport casual doesn't understand that our lot love the wire as much as his lot. anyway the feds thing is a compliment to america if anything, our slang is a mish mash of words taken from all over the place these days, and feds is one of them.

and we can rap, you can't understand why wiley is a genius, and yet you love our comedy tv programs! what is it with americans (sorry us-icans) and their problems with suspension of disbelief, it's so fucking selective.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    skel said:
    Duderonomy said:

Oh wait

you're right, yes labour did sweet FA. BUT. i still hate the tories so, so, so very much. at least labour came back from holiday when shit caught fire!

I voted Lib Dem almost out of protest. Was pleasantly surprised that they ended up having so much say as to who would govern, and sick as a parrot watching their venal, pathetic refusal to use their political leverage to do any good. Unless that archetypal Tory cunt Osbourne wanted to cut even deeper.

May have to vote Green next time.

• Duderonomy said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    skel said:
    Duderonomy said:

Oh wait

I voted Lib Dem almost out of protest. Was pleasantly surprised that they ended up having so much say as to who would govern, and sick as a parrot watching their venal, pathetic refusal to use their political leverage to do any good. Unless that archetypal Tory cunt Osbourne wanted to cut even deeper.

May have to vote Green next time.

yes i did too, that clegg is the definition of a wasteman.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    neil_something said:

By the way, what are all your presidents referring to when they keep saying "God bless America"?

Not sure - either they are referring to the abstract concept of "America" or it's that geography problem we have over here.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    skel said:
    Duderonomy said:

Oh wait

Maybe it's easier to get back from the Russian oligarch's yacht in the Med than from the LA poolside?
    A simpler journey from Sir Cliff's villa in Barbados than from that verandah in Tuscany?
    I have no idea, like L*o I'm on the Easyjet cattle truck.

BTW Sports Cazh is a Brit, no? Or some half-breed variant.

SC to speak on it.

• Doesn't matter who it

• Doesn't matter who it is, if mans coming all up in the Brits thread chattin bare breeze about mans bars and their command of geography they get murked still.