Speed Record Label

2»

Comments

• there are a couple non-lp 45s that are really really good.

Frankie Nieves 'True Love' / 'Amor Sincerio'

Dave Baby Cortez & the Moon People 'Happy Soul( with a Hook)'

oddly enough, both of these were also re-released in the late 70's as twelves on the 'Disco International' label - the Nieves seems to be an edit of both sides of the 45( alternating the English & Spanish lyrics).

---

Hmmm, I had a Tony Middleton 12" on Disco International of the song Return To Spanish Harlem. I always thought it sounded more like late 60's than something from the disco era, so I suspect it was the same case as these other songs being reissued on 12". Can anyone confirm?

• plus:

i have these since many years and would never let 'em go!

tastes are different, i know.

cheers

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Wow--I was starting to think that that Dianne and Carole LP was never actually released... never seen it before at any price.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Wow--I was starting to think that that Dianne and Carole LP was never actually released... never seen it before at any price.

I heard rumour that Sampo turned up a copy of Dianne & Carole at 'FMU for cheap.

jealousy...

• Caught a copy of the diane & carole for $8 on a set sale list. Good things happen.

I sold my copy of viva zapata a while back right before it was re-released and before I was keeping an eye out did not get paid much and miss it now.

• The Latin Blues Band featuring Luis Aviles "Take a Trip Pussycat" SS-101

I just got the reissue of this at Dusty Grooves, and it seems kinda suspect. From the top:

(1) Only the first four songs are actually in the "psyche-Latin-soul" vein.
    (2) Only the first four songs are mentioned in the bilingual liner notes.
    (3) The rest of the songs are straight-ahead Latin, sound like they were recorded ten years earlier (i.e., the late fifties), and might not even be the same band.
    (4) None of the songs are any good, IMO.

So even though this album seems like a total wash, I am still intrigued by how Speed Records managed to bullshit the public. Not only were they trying to cash in on a trend, but they didn't even have enough Latin-soul sides to fill out the rest of the album so they just got some discarded Latin songs from another time with almost another sound. Any dissenting opinions? Any agreeing opinions? Or does anybody know what the lowdown was with this?

To be fair, that is probably the worst release in the label's catalog.

hmm, i really dig the last tune of this album called "The Cow" not only it's my favourite tune of this album, this tune is simply awesome (descarga?) in my opinion!
    i don't really dig these english sung tunes on the a-side, the instrumentation is massive but the vocals, nah! i prefer the later versions of these tunes on the Dianne & Carole/Moon People albums... much deeper! but this is just me... again, i like all speed releases... i still need some of the 45s

• i don't really dig these english sung tunes on the a-side (of the Latin Blues Band's album)[/b], the instrumentation is massive but the vocals, nah!

like i implied earlier, the main thing wrong with the rockish cuts on side one is that they sound like they were cashing on a fad, plain and simple. like someone at speed records noticed how joe bataan and joe cuba were selling so many records, so they decided to write and record four latin-soul songs IN A DAY. i can just see some guy with a cigar going "tell that guitar player to hook up that fuzz pedal, and tell the drummer to play that boogaloo beat that the kids dig nowadays - we'll give it some name like the 'latin blues band' and it'll be money in the bank!!!" i. dont. think. so.

• It is 100% goofy and sell-out music. I see the cigar too but it doesn't bother me.

• It is 100% goofy and sell-out music. I see the cigar too but it doesn't bother me.

im sure some of my fave latin bugalu records were made by musicians who's heart wasn't in it, but you're not supposed to sound like it[/b]. unfortunately, the LBB do.

i still see your point, though.

(btw, dianne and carole's backup band had one hell of a name, didn't they? the latin whatchamacallits! ha ha!)

im sure some of my fave latin bugalu records were made by musicians who's heart wasn't in it, but you're not supposed to sound like it[/b]. unfortunately, the LBB do.

(btw, dianne and carole's backup band had one hell of a name, didn't they? the latin whatchamacallits! ha ha!)

For a dude with pickwick in his name, you're pretty critical of knockoffs!!

For a dude with pickwick in his name, you're pretty critical of knockoffs!!

Ha, ha! Yeah, but again, what did I say in the sentence with the boldface up there? Read again!!

Besides, Pickwick recording artists Soul Mann & the Brothers had better songs to work with!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    1) Just to echo, Cotique was definitely NOT a Fania off-shoot; they were competitors. Fania might have bought out Cotique later however.

2) I didn't even think about this, but I own three of the LPs posted above. It never dawned on me they were all from the same label but just to echo: it's all solid. I like that Nieves LP especially and I've yet to sit with the Moon People LP but what I've heard from it is solid. Olivieri is tight too.

3) I need that Latin Whatchamacallits LP. They had one song comped one of the Harmless boogaloo albums from a few years back...I think it was "The Fuzz." FYRE.

• The fuzz 45 is great. Just got an extra of that today. How can you dis a hook that warns, "don't let the fuzz catch you dealing"? Sampo did indeed catch the LP at WFMU and sonned all of us uhmuricuns.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    SP-1010 found!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    DELEET

• Reynaldo said:
    SP-1017 found!

"THIS IS ONLY THE SECOND TIME THIS HAS BEEN ON E BAY WHICH REFLECTS IT'S RARITY,THE FIRST TIME THIS WAS LISTED I WAS CONTACTED BY A JOURNALIST WRITING FOR A WELL RESPECTED JAZZ,FUNK-SOUL MAGAZINE WHO HAD BEEN TRYING TO VALIDATE IT'S
    EXISTENCE IN THE SPEED CATALOGUE-WELL HERE AND HEAR IT IS!"

Hilarious; he's talking about me but I had also asked him for a high quality rip because Bobby wanted it for his own archives. Far as I know, that never happened.

For those still playing at home, the missing singles are: 1, 6, 8, 9 and 11 (at least based on catalog numbers)

Reynaldo said:

Well, damn, ok then! What's the b-side like?

BTW Rey, you're missing 04 on your discog:
    SP-1004 Latin Blues Band Pussycat b/w Take a Trip

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

This is really good. I wonder how many more stock copies are in England.

And this thread is quite a trip, how things have changed in the last 6 years or so!

mannybolone said:
    Reynaldo said:

Well, damn, ok then! What's the b-side like?

BTW Rey, you're missing 04 on your discog:
    SP-1004 Latin Blues Band Pussycat b/w Take a Trip
    B side is on the youtube vid. "Come Live With Me"

Thanks for the addition.

Of the various Speed 7"s, I only regret not buying "Cuchi Frito Man" when it was available the few times it showed up. It's not the illest latin soul song but it's a solid rendition.