East Coast Earthquake

incompletejigsawincompletejigsaw 756 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
Did anyone feel this just now? I was in my room and it started off as a small little shake. I was thinking that a large truck was coming down the street or something, but as it got larger and the room started shaking, I fled downstairs to see if anyone else felt it. I had to make sure my little niece was alright because she was terrified. I can't call a person, yet the internet works. Is everyone else alright?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Yeah. I was shaking around in my seat here in Eastern, PA.

• http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/23/quake-hits-near-washington-d-c/

I never thought I would feel something like that in DC.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Felt it here in Princeton, NJ. The whole office building was shaking for about 10 seconds. The windows were flexing like jello.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i thought it was a fat dude on my roof. my apt was shakin like what.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wow! From NYC to DC, that is a large area to be shaking.

I hope everyone and their records are a ok.

I'm gonna go check the news now.

• Barely felt it in my office here. Everyone else was wilding like it was the end of days. Personally, the one in 1998 felt way bigger, like a truck hit the side of my house.

• I was finally able to get a hold of some of my friends and they are all doing well. It's crazy, though. I just finished talking to my mother who was shopping in Friendship Heights when the earthquake occured. She heard glass breaking and people screaming, but amidst all of that she just sat down and prayed. She always reminds me how to keep calm even in uncertain times.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    y'all are funny.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Wow! From NYC to DC, that is a large area to be shaking.

/quote]

Montreal also felt it
    but this is a joke for west coast dudes i am sure

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    this is cute.

although this is probably akin to San Franciscans complaining about how cold or hot it is.

edith head said:
    although this is probably akin to San Franciscans complaining about how cold or hot it is.

haha yeah occasionally one of us will start a thread during a heat wave talmbout "I had to stay inside in the AC all day it was so hot!" I am guilty of this.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    It's being reported here that it was caused by a Flash Mob of Hipsters in Williamsburg who all jumped up and down at the same time?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Forgive me for feeling shook, it was pretty disconcerting up on the 30th floor of my building. Glad we don;t have deal with them more often...

HAHAHAHA good one

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    People felt it as far south as NC. I'm in Williamsburg, VA, and it felt pretty strong here. No damage or anything like that, but it was stronger than anything I felt while living in the Bay area for 6 years.

edith head said:

Damn....Should we have an auction to raise some money??

b/w

I think I saw a ruined container of Hair Gel.

On the bright side drunks were walking perfectly straight for 10-15 seconds in the Bowery.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    On the bright side yuppie nyu hipster drunks were walking perfectly straight for 10-15 seconds in the Bowery.

• I was on the phone with Marty at Steady Sounds and he said, dude I have to let you go I think we just had an earthquake. I hope everyone out that was is alright.

• behold a pale horse ''elenin is approaching''

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    edith head said:

I didn't feel it on Cape Cod, but there's no bedrock here, just sand, so I guess that absorbed most of it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    edith head said:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    edith head said:

I didn't feel it on Cape Cod, but there's no bedrock here, just sand, so I guess that absorbed most of it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/12/29/opinion/l-sand-and-clay-prove-treacherous-accomplices-of-earthquakes-135388.html

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I felt the quake while working in my office at Rutgers University. I thought it was the information technology guy moving some heavy equipment around the office area. I didn't realize an earthquake had hit unil I saw the MSN newsfeed. Wow, that was a weird sensation, feeling the floor shake beneath my feet. I was very unsettling, and it made me a bit queasy.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    I totally missed the earthquake because I was taking a 2 minute ride with my mechanic to determine what was wrong with my front right side suspension, and so I was already anticipating a wobbly experience anyhow! Had no idea anything happened at all.

we just had one of our own. but no I won't start a thread about it.