Completist confessionary

tabiratabira 856 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
This turd just went for 100 bucks. But it's on Strata East so you gotta have it right? Nah. I actually thank the existence of this LP for stopping me from becoming a completist nut. But I was on the way had I not heard it. Anyone here ready to confess to bouts of completist madness?

Billy C - where have you been billy boy

Sample here:
http://www.cdandlp.com/item/1/0-2407-0-1-0/114966003/billy-c-where-have-you-been-billy-boy.html

Comments

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    Collected Mainstream records from no. 300 & so on. Completed it but there are some weak a*s records on there as well. Also completed CTI with the Dave Frishberg lp, the most horrible lp on that label...
    But...some of today's labels are well worth collecting: Desco, Daptone, Timmion...
    But, in the end it's all about our vinyl addiction, nothing more, nothing less.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    CTI was the label that started my ill-fated completist streak, but it was killed off by Hubert Laws' flirtations with classical music. Now I think I've only clung onto about 10 or 12 LPs from that label. I was lucky I got spared the Oklahoma Turd LP. Later on a smug curiosity led me to seak out a sound sample and it lived "up" to the rep . The back cover should have featured the toad with tyre tracks over it. Some LPs are rare for a good reason.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I guess im most likely and IMPULE! completist.

Saw this recent re-issue and i just had to have the OG.

Id never even seen or heard of this untill a few monthes ago.
    As elusive out in the field as the Honeysuckle Breeze....

Then they decided to release it on cd with a bonus disc that includes the producers' mix & more turds:
    http://www.eastwindimport.com/product-info.asp?ProductId=1413

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    turd polishing = The act of trying to make something hopelessly weak and unattractive appear strong and appealing. An impossible process that usually results in a larger, uglier turd.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    In the 80s, when I first got into record collecting I thought I was supposed to be a completest.

I look back fondly on my attempt to get all the Folkways records.

I am embarrassed by my attempt to get every size and speed and country variation on Robert Cray.
    (I still like Robert Cray and I don't care who knows, but I have not bought one of his new releases for 20 years.)

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I am embarrassed by my attempt to get every size and speed and country variation on Robert Cray.

Back in 1991, before I even considered most of it as chud, I realised that I didn't have to have every Black Jazz LP to be cool (hah!) when I approached Walter Bishop Jr to sign my copy of Coral Keys and he replied if I could find one for him too. Apparently he hadn't seen it since the 70s. I'm always amazed at how little regard the musicians themselves have for their own physical "product".

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

Has it been reissued then? not really that hard or expensive to find or Impulse's other foray into sitar/jazz

and yes billy c that'll end any strata east completist along with m'boom purely because of the price not content

• leonleon 883 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    In the 80s, when I first got into record collecting I thought I was supposed to be a completest.

I look back fondly on my attempt to get all the Folkways records.

(I still like Robert Cray and I don't care who knows, but I have not bought one of his new releases for 20 years.)

I am a bit embarrassed, although this was in my teens, by my attempt to get every size and speed and country variation on Prince. Plus, the memorabilia that go with it: shirts, posters, ticket stubs, you name it.
    Stil have a lot of it and would pick up the few white wales that are left for me if the price is really low.

You know, just to make the collection complete.

But overall, it cured me from being a gotta-have-it-all guy. Fun while it lasted. Down to gotta-have-good-quality.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I never thought I would be a completist guy. I always reckoned it was less about the music when it came to buying just to complete the set. But I have two fetishes when it comes to completism:

Flower Travellin' Band:
    I think I have all the 45s including 2x japanese, 1x Canadian, 1x US and 1x UK press of Satori.
    I have the albums too, but still need the damn obi for Anywhere and the impossibly rare Satori album with rock age obi (3rd press).

Asakawa Maki:
    I have 10/13 (that I know of) 45s and 21 albums with obi (where applicable).
    Pretty happy with it except for the fact that the more recent 80s albums, which also happen to be the rarest, are mostly tepid.???But Ill still buy those remaining few when I see them just so I can sleep better at night...

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    gaz said:
    mrmatthew said:

Has it been reissued then? not really that hard or expensive to find or Impulse's other foray into sitar/jazz

and yes billy c that'll end any strata east completist along with m'boom purely because of the price not content

If you have to be completist then there are probably a lot of worse labels than Impulse to go for. (though quantity wise i'd give up). I was surprised to see the Bill Plummer posted as a "confession". I mean if chintzy 60s sitar fusion is your thing then it's not that bad. As for the M'boom, whilst on content terms alone I would never call it a straight turd, given the immense expectation gap between price and musical value I'd still give it honourary turd status, and reason alone if the Billy C wasn't enough, not to get tied in knots over having everything on SE.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    tabira said:

If you have to be completist then there are probably a lot of worse labels than Impulse to go for. (though quantity wise i'd give up). I was surprised to see the Bill Plummer posted as a "confession". I mean if chintzy 60s sitar fusion is your thing then it's not that bad. As for the M'boom, whilst on content terms alone I would never call it a turd, given the immense expectation gap between price and musical value I'd still give it honourary turd status.

Buy the re issued cd of m'boom and settle for that I reckon
    Oh and sorry but "chintzy 60s sitar fusion" is my thing too lol, I suppose that would be my "completist" confession

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I'm trying to collect every single Fania gold label in at least VG+ condition, even the Ricardo Marrero and Pacheco turds. I'm sure not breaking bank for it, and I've got a ways to go, patience is where I'm at right now.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    tabira said:
    CTI was the label that started my ill-fated completist streak, but it was killed off by Hubert Laws' flirtations with classical music. Now I think I've only clung onto about 10 or 12 LPs from that label. I was lucky I got spared the Oklahoma Turd LP. Later on a smug curiosity led me to seak out a sound sample and it lived "up" to the rep . The back cover should have featured the toad with tyre tracks over it. Some LPs are rare for a good reason.

Had a similar Mainstream frenzy way back until faced with the horror of the Hadley Caliman S/T at which point reality kicked in and I went into reverse rapidly started ditching tepid LPs from what was very nearly a complete set. Did the same with CTI and Groove Merchant. Should have ditched all my O'Donel Levys except for Breeding of Mind but somehow they've survived although they have to be kept in a lead box.

Dope topic, I should collect all topics like this & save them on my PC as : THE COMPLETIST STORIES.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The only label I'm a completist for:

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I have been a completist for the Brazilian Equipe label. http://www.sabadabada.com/new_page_6.htm

Elenco
    http://www.sabadabada.com/new_page_20.htm

And Nilser. I was able to compile a list of all the original 12" and have almost all of them, at least all the ones I want. The Lover's LPs and movie songs compilations aren't that great

And I have all but two or three of the original San Francisco Fantasy label 10"

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I started to get the whole Bohannon catalouge. So far I havn't discovered a single turd. To complete this seems doable as they arn't that expensive. Or is there a mega $$$ by him?

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    tabira said:

Had a similar Mainstream frenzy way back until faced with the horror of the Hadley Caliman S/T at which point reality kicked in and I went into reverse rapidly started ditching tepid LPs from what was very nearly a complete set. Did the same with CTI and Groove Merchant. Should have ditched all my O'Donel Levys except for Breeding of Mind but somehow they've survived although they have to be kept in a lead box.

Hardly a horror this track:

the are many horrors mitigating against Mainstream completionism, but I wouldn't include the Caliman in amongst them. For real sonic horror, you gotta check this out. Enough to kill off the most anally retentive completist of the mainstream runes. It even surpasses the Billy C