Amazing filmmaker Ra??l Ruiz 1941 - 2011

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
The NYT did a great piece on him at the end of July.
Probably too late now for TIFF, for a proper one anyway, but his retrospective would be nothing short of mind-blowing.

Ra??l Ruiz 1941 - 2011

Comments

• What's a good movie of his to start with?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have not seen all of them - I don't know if I will be alive long enough or well-traveled enough for that!
    What I have seen, they are all very different from each other.

The first one I saw by him, The Golden Boat, I have watched over 20 times.
    On Top of The Whale and Three Lives and Only One Death are amazing, too.

I have no idea what your taste is, but the NYT does a pretty good job at illustrating what the experience might be like.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    any opinions on klimt?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    RIP

You should check out Mysteries of Lisbon or Klimt. I like Three Crowns of the Sailor and Tres tristes tigres.

I'm not a big fan of his films, but i'm probably biased because my favorite surrealist chilean film maker is Alejandro Jodorowsky.

bassie said:
    I have not seen all of them - I don't know if I will be alive long enough or well-traveled enough for that.

Alot of his better films are available on Karagarga.

- spidey

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    pcmr said:
    any opinions on klimt?

John Malkovich cracks me the fuck up. He's like Christopher Walken to me. I can't take these guys serious in anything. Movie's interesting, but it's anything but a literal take on Klimt's life.

- spidey

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    imdb hasn't even updated his page yet

His first great European success came with L'hypoth??se du tableau vol?? (1979); a puzzling black-and-white film adapted from a novel by Pierre Klossowski, constructed in a tableaux vivants style that tells the enigmatic story of a missing 19th-century painting.

Interesting film on art interpretation. The philosophical voiceover can be ponderous, so it feels a bit like reading a textbook through subtitles. But, if you can handle something different, it's worth watching for the interesting concepts with stunning B&W photography.

La vocation suspendue is more of an endurance test. I didn't much care for it.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    This sucks.

For those looking for a good movie of his, I really liked his Proust adaptation. YEAH.

• bassie said:
    I have not seen all of them - I don't know if I will be alive long enough or well-traveled enough for that!
    What I have seen, they are all very different from each other.

The first one I saw by him, The Golden Boat, I have watched over 20 times.
    On Top of The Whale and Three Lives and Only One Death are amazing, too.

I have no idea what your taste is, but the NYT does a pretty good job at illustrating what the experience might be like.

Thanks for the reply. I've just looked on LoveFilm (UK version of Netflix) and there's a grand total of two Ra??l Ruiz movies to choose from; Comedie De L'Innocence and Time Regained. I guess that makes things easier. I'll check them both out.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i've only seen three crowns but it was interesting enough to make me seek out more of his work. rip.