diggin fake out: is that a Marvin Peterson and the Soul Masters...

LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
while i haven't posted here in a while i thought this experience to be a worthy one to share. i was at a local Savers (like a Goodwill) and combing the vinyl racks when all of a sudden my heart skipped a beat when i came across what i thought was an uber grail raer until i looked a little closer to find out is was just

Apparently that shot is generic stock

anyways i know there are a one or two other instances where a sought after grail has the generic cover ...i am spacing on the disco one. anyways i did score two port authority records that were worth the dig.

two highlight cuts from each album
DivShare File - grits.mp3
DivShare File - funkophobia.mp3

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Lewis said:
    anyways i know there are a one or two other instances where a sought after grail has the generic cover ...i am spacing on the disco one.

• Horseleech said:
    Lewis said:
    anyways i know there are a one or two other instances where a sought after grail has the generic cover ...i am spacing on the disco one.

Thought I found this one so many times!
    :icegrill:

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Lewis said:
    while i haven't posted here in a while i thought this experience to be a worthy one to share. i was at a local Savers (like a Goodwill) and combing the vinyl racks when all of a sudden my heart skipped a beat when i came across what i thought was an uber grail raer until i looked a little closer to find out is was just

anyways i know there are a one or two other instances where a sought after grail has the generic cover ...i am spacing on the disco one. anyways i did score two port authority records that were worth the dig.

There are 2 other great records with the "Gospel Hands" generic cover.

The Gospel Clouds "Keep On Praying"
    Black Velvet "Black Spirit"

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    jimmy hines and the boys
    "funky funk"-the ultimate timmy digalot rite of passage

and that csn lp that looks like the joe quarterman lp still gets me

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    kala said:

Thats funny.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    kala said:

Thats funny.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I wanna say I've seen this on some Southern Beach Music foolishness, but not 100%, maybe someone can back me up or deny:

haze25 said:
    Lewis said:

There are 2 other great records with the "Gospel Hands" generic cover.

The Gospel Clouds "Keep On Praying"
    Black Velvet "Black Spirit"

I have a decent gospel play LP from Weeziana with this cover.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Lewis said:

There are a couple of college choir records on Century Custom with that exact stock cover as well. With the exception of a couple, I didn't know about the others that share that cover before joining Soul Strut.

• gazgaz 232 Posts

The new genre, generic covers

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• gaz said:

The new genre, generic covers

Faces of Jazz is a nice record. I frequent it.

• Reynaldo said:

I ran into this stock cover the other day and the record was about tips to quit smoking.

InnerSpace said:
    Reynaldo said:

I ran into this stock cover the other day and the record was about tips to quit smoking.

There's Bachs, don't smoke, lousy black comedian, and possibly a classical record with this cover.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    it was the Gloria Ann Taylor and McNeal & Niles...thanks Horseleech!

I had an old custom records order form once. It had all the stock covers you could choose from.

Some Savoy gospel lps have stock covers too.

I've never seen that Out Of The Bachs cover.

The_Non said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Reynaldo said:

There's Bachs, don't smoke, lousy black comedian, and possibly a classical record with this cover.

And the Incredible Casanovas, couldn't find an image.

Horseleech said:
    The_Non said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Reynaldo said:

There's a halfway decent garagey LP by the Philly group The Kit-Kats w/that cover as well.

I've probably seen at least 10-12 different LP's....mostly Pop/Lounge, with that cover

Oh yeah....There's also a Walter Scott, lead singer of Bob Kuban & The In-Men of "The Cheater" fame, solo LP.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    another one that always make me do a double check when I see it

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    The_Non said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Reynaldo said:

There's a halfway decent garagey LP by the Philly group The Kit-Kats w/that cover as well.

I've probably seen at least 10-12 different LP's....mostly Pop/Lounge, with that cover

ive got a female singer with that cover, forget the name, but needle dropping made me buy it, not the cover - good n odd sounding folk, at least some of the tracks. iirc.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    There's some generic EZ Listening LP with the same cover as Ricardo Marrero on TSG that still gets me every time.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Not a "sought after grail" by any means....but every once in a while when i see the back cover of this dollar-bin filler turd:

which looks like this

I think it might actually be THIS

and it never is. :(

mrmatthew said:
    Not a "sought after grail" by any means....but every once in a while when i see the back cover of this dollar-bin filler turd:

which looks like this

I think it might actually be THIS

and it never is. :(

Rorschach Test results revealed.