Can Soulstrut school me on Marcos Valle?

BruceGeetzBruceGeetz 97 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
I had heard a few of his songs randomly through web searching before, but recently got my youtube on and I'm really stuck on his Previsao de Tempo record. The vocal and rhythm arrangements are so catchy and fun, yet quite funky.

I've since looked up prices of some of his records.....Damn. Why are they so pricey? It seems as if he was a quite popular artist.

But can yall lead me in the right direction? I want to get down on his earlier Bossa stuff as well, and from what I see, he had some decent 80's funk type shit going on too?

Comments

• This LP is highly recommended...

Contains one of my favorite cuts also recently sampled by Jay-Z.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    He's one of my favorite artists of all and I could talk about him all day.

For somebody who was such a major song writer, his albums were always a bit too 'progressive' for popular tastes in Brasil at the time (the buying public was overall pretty conservative), so his albums were never huge sellers. They are very sought after in and out of Brasil today, however.

All of his records from his first through Previsao Do Tempo are top notch and essential. The first couple are progressive bossa, and then he starts to change with Viola Enluarada. From here he enters what many consider his prime period with Garra, Mustang Cor de Sangue, s/t (the 'Bed" album), Vento Sul (an unusual detour through psych rock) and the ultra funky Previsao do Tempo.

Check Youtube for clips from these albums, you won't be disappointed.

• Previsao is my favorite. Last I checked, you can pick up both the Marcos Valle and Garra albums (2 for 1) on cd through Dusty Groove for $16.99, both are great albums, funky along the lines of Previsao. I'm also a big fan of Mustang Cor de Sangue, and for early Bossa Nova/Samba, his Samba '68 is a nice listen as well.

• I forgot to mention, if you like the Brazilian funkiness of 70's Marcos Valle, you may also like this album by Joao Donato:
    Attached files

I should mention that I was talking about his Brasilian releases in my post above..

'Samba 68' and 'Braziliance' were recorded for the American market and are nice, but definitely a notch down from the others.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Also a couple of Odeon EP compacto singles he did are worth tracking down, especially the 1968 one.

He also played on Airto Moreira's LP 'Touching You, Touching Me', as well as writing and playing on Leon Ware's Elektra albums in the period he lived in California for a short while...

He even did the music for the Brazilian version of Sesame Street!
    The soundtrack score to 'O Fabuloso Fittipaldi' (which gave birth to the group name for Azimuth), and has written many songs with his brother Sergio for TV Novelas series in Brazil.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Previsao de Tempo is easy avail on cd but orig lp is tough one to find however there's a, "supposedly unofficial" brazilian re ish from mid eighties that pops up fairly often and not too expensive, great album

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    gaz said:
    Previsao de Tempo is easy avail on cd but orig lp is tough one to find however there's a, "supposedly unofficial" brazilian re ish from mid eighties that pops up fairly often and not too expensive, great album

If my memory serves me well the re ish was done my Mr Bongo around 93/94 time!
    They also did Joyce - Feminina, and Joao Donato - Quem e Quem.

• Depending on your tastes, definitely check out the 80's Som Livre material.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    TDLT02 said:
    gaz said:

If my memory serves me well the re ish was done my Mr Bongo around 93/94 time!
    They also did Joyce - Feminina, and Joao Donato - Quem e Quem.

you prob right, there were loads in the UK at that time, the copy I have is a re/bootleg with all the tracks listed in portugese/spanish is that the same as mr bongo's

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    The Bongo re ish was a straight copy of the original...

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    TDLT02 said:
    The Bongo re ish was a straight copy of the original...

Thats one I must have then, nice pressing/sound quality dont see it around much now, good old mr bongo

• NachoManCandySandwich said:
    Depending on your tastes, definitely check out the 80's Som Livre material.

I played out "Estrela" a few months back and a bunch of people came up asking "what is THIS?'

The Leon Ware connection is worth mentioning, too, for those who may not already know.

• I actually first heard of Marcos Valle after listening to Garra, which was definitely not a bad place to start. After that I wanted to start with his beginning work since I was heavily into the bossa-type sound. From Samba Demais to Previsao, nothing but classics. I haven't had time to explore some of his later work, with the exception of Estrellar and Estatica, but he is honestly one of those few artists where the asking price for his records are more than worth it. Even if your pockets don't think so at the time.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    This is also a good one

I prefer this to the Fabulouso Fittipaldi LP. It also has a few Marcos Valle Songs but performed by other artists, including Azymuth from the Mustang LP performed by Apolo IV.

Still one of my absolute favs.

And that goes triple for this

I know it's not Marcos Valle, but its in the style of the times.

• Although not credited for contractual reasons, Marcos Valle was involved with this LP:

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Speaking of Valle.. He's got some new work out on FAROUT.

- spidey

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Great pick Rey,

I'll always remember Valle for this one. Though I hate the English version of this song.

Here's a cool funky version of ASA BRANCA with Valle and Azymuth.

This is a great video with Quarteto Em Cy and Marcos Valle. Some American/Brazillian TV crossover appearance probably during Frank Sinatra's Ipanema Jobim craze.

He gives a great background of himself in English in this video.

Hope that helps.

- Spidey

• Thanks so much for the help guys!

Much appreciated.

• NachoManCandySandwich said:

Are these LP's easier to find than his earlier 70's albums?

That track was some incredible boogie goodness.

BruceGeetz said:
    NachoManCandySandwich said:

Are these LP's easier to find than his earlier 70's albums?

That track was some incredible boogie goodness.

Much easier. I think they sold way more than his earlier stuff.

$10 - $20.

This is an LP posted by Loronix, who I heard passed away, alleged to be Marcos Valle and Azymuth.

http://www.divshare.com/folder/905842-429