Selling large ticket items on eBay (how to avoid getting scammed-R)

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
Hey, I haven't sold anything on eBay for a while. I'm strongly considering getting rid of all my production hardware (mostly synths and drum machines.) Everything I throw on eBay will be at least a thousand dollars so I'm a little worried about getting ripped off. How do I get around the whole "hey we're freezing your money for 21 days but you still gotta ship the item" bullshit and is there anything else I should look out for? I have some leads on some buyers already but just wanna prepare in the event that I need to throw shit up on eBay. Thanks.

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    craigslist
    local swap meet/flea

there is no real way to avoid the fuckery of ebay/paypal
    if they want to hold your money you are beat
    odds are in your favor that there will be no problems IN THE LONG RUN
    but they [ebay/paypal/customers] might make you sweat a little
    once you sign on especially as a newbie you are their profit puppet

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    :|

• Once you get paid, immediately withdraw it from paypal. Don't leave it there.

• That payment hold has been such a pain in the ass for me. It's supposed to be released three days after the shipment has arrived (if you are tracking through ebay) or three days after feedback. I've had to call paypal on a few occasions because my payment wasn't released after either of those two things. They release them right away after I call.

Also if you pay for shipping through ebay it gets pulled from the payment before the hold. Hope this info helps...

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I want to drop a couple of expensive records on ebay in the near future. Isn't sending registered putting you in a safe position?

thanks

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    if you have big ticket soul 45s ($500 and up) selling on soul-source.co.uk is the way to go. Ive sold quite a few big ticket ones on there without any problems and folks will buy from you even if you have a low post count. Dudes don't screw around on there with bartering, complaining about minutiae...they pay right away with no BS. I have not had a bad experience after selling a few dozen records on there. Plus you don't have ebay taking a cut.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Once you get paid, immediately withdraw it from paypal. Don't leave it there.
    I usually do that but I haven't sold anything since Paypal started freezing money. My main worry is if I am forced to ship (or get negative feedback) before the money is released and then dude decides to do a chargeback. I haven't heard of any definitive methods of avoiding dudes from making off with my money and gear which I'm kinda trying to avoid.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Offer money back and returns.
    Mark your schitt before it goes out so you do end up with your product back if there is a return.
    Take multiple pictures.
    Expect to give partial refunds to make people happy.
    I sold some hefty car parts in the past, been thru the bullschitt with car guys. They are scammers. They like to trick you
    with their old parts as evidence of your parts being delivered as broken or not to your description.

Pack well, be a good communicator, post your phone number, get their phone number, keep all transcripts of communication.

One horror story, I heard was dude selling a $5000 pinball machine, shipped it, dude received it, 2 months later said it didn't work, ebay took the buyers side, two months later! extreme case but you get the picture.

Post your schitt on here, facebook, other music forums, & craigslist. Schitt will sell.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    thanks burns. your point about multiple pictures and marking things reminded that i always forget about taking pictures of serial numbers which would cover my ass in case a muthafuckah tried some switcharoo shit on me. hopefully everything goes okay and i don't have to use ebay at all. i really should have done this before but thinking about this has motivated me to open another bank account just for paypal so i can avoid those assholes robbing me.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

This won't do anything as they can freeze money from your attached account.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Controller_7 said:

My attached account is a credit card, if I think I'm being big time scammed just report the card lost or stolen to the bank so they issue new one with different number, game over

gaz said:
    Horseleech said:
    Controller_7 said:

My attached account is a credit card, if I think I'm being big time scammed just report the card lost or stolen to the bank so they issue new one with different number, game over

Again, that won't do anything.

If you think Paypal hasn't anticipated shit like this, you're tripping.

• Might be smart to keep your Paypal-linked bank account a separate entity (from your main checking/savings accounts) that you mostly keep empty, ESPECIALLY if you get a large payment.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Plantweed said:
    Might be smart to keep your Paypal-linked bank account a separate entity (from your main checking/savings accounts) that you mostly keep empty, ESPECIALLY if you get a large payment.
    yeah i was going to open up a separate account just for paypal. there's no way they keep my old info on there to rob me after i do this, right?

Brian said:
    Plantweed said:
    Might be smart to keep your Paypal-linked bank account a separate entity (from your main checking/savings accounts) that you mostly keep empty, ESPECIALLY if you get a large payment.
    yeah i was going to open up a separate account just for paypal. there's no way they keep my old info on there to rob me after i do this, right?

I hate to keep squashing people's dreams, but this won't do a lot either.

If Paypal decides to recover $1000 from you from a transaction, but you only have $100 in your bank account, you still owe them the difference and not paying it will be just like not paying a credit card bill.

Or, if you have $900 or more in overdraft protection on your account, your bank will give that to them and you'll owe your bank the money.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Brian said:
    Hey, I haven't sold anything on eBay for a while. I'm strongly considering getting rid of all my production hardware (mostly synths and drum machines.) Everything I throw on eBay will be at least a thousand dollars so I'm a little worried about getting ripped off. How do I get around the whole "hey we're freezing your money for 21 days but you still gotta ship the item" bullshit and is there anything else I should look out for? I have some leads on some buyers already but just wanna prepare in the event that I need to throw shit up on eBay. Thanks.

I would strongly consider selling it locally, especially considering that it's gear and not records (am I correct?).

Yes, you might not get as much $$$$ as you would on eBay, but you get paid in cash and that's that.

• musica said:
    Brian said:

I would strongly consider selling it locally, especially considering that it's gear and not records (am I correct?).

Yes, you might not get as much $$$$ as you would on eBay, but you get paid in cash and that's that.

Say you sell a synth for $2000 on ebay: i believe the fees are around 15% of that, Paypal takes another 4 or 5%, you have the tension of possible chargebacks, etc... you could also sell it locally or here for $1500 and be done with it :-)

• Horseleech said:
    Brian said:
    Plantweed said:

If Paypal decides to recover $1000 from you from a transaction, but you only have $100 in your bank account, you still owe them the difference and not paying it will be just like not paying a credit card bill.

Or, if you have $900 or more in overdraft protection on your account, your bank will give that to them and you'll owe your bank the money.

but won't some CCs, like AmEx, cover some bullshit like this for you?
    i thought AmEx had this "i got your back" thing going.
    i mean, not every time, but maybe once?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Horseleech said:

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. I should know this shit.

As far as seling locally goes, I might be able to unload some of this stuff but I've had trouble selling stuff in the past so I might have to resort to eBay. Unreal that I can give someone a 20ish% discount locally and still come out the same as selling it on eBay though.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Put it on ebay, buyer collect only cash on collection (avoiding paypal fees) ....ask them to contact you first before bidding to work something out between you if necessary , put a reserve on it to cover yourself
    to be honest its safer for delicate electrical items anyway