Retired Parents (NRR)

kennykenny 1,024 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
so my folks are both 60+ now, dad went out of job long ago since the economic crisis, and these days, as much as I try to spend time with them during the weekend, i just couldn't spend AS MUCH time during the weekday obviously since I have to work...

I know they try to keep themselves busy (a music class on Monday morning, and taichi classes on Tue and Fri), the rest of their time they usually browse in malls after lunch, visit museums, or light grocery shopping, and watching DVDs at home (which they are spending more and more time on, and I'm a bit concerned)

guess I'm just not sure if thats exactly a healthy routine for them...

so, what do your folks do during the week?

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Both in their 70s.

Mum: Worry about her 3 40-something kids, drink gin and smoke. Promise to visit us, never does, becoming more and more fearful of leaving house, unless on a coach holiday.
    Dad: Keep buying more crap from car boot sales, fill their house with junk, sings in 2 choirs and plays uke. At least diabetes has cut his drinking.

My legacy will be a burning desire to do all of the above at once.

• Both mid 60's

Mum: Gardening-Morning, Noon & Night....

Dad: Beer, sports

They love it and I'm very happy that they've both rediscovered reading...

Oh, and of course the grandkids keep them busy a lot of the time as well..

• My Mom just bought a bus, she plans on traveling to Anaheim Land to teach aboriginal kids.

My father continues to work like a fool for his slattern wife.

Both have taught me valuable lessons about money and related swindles, weed cultivation and armed robbery.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    both my parents are mid to late 60's and with no grand kids on the horizon... yet....

they keep busy with gardening and reading.

but ever since they got a dog. all their attention has been focused towards fussing over the puppy. the next best thing to a grandkid they could have.

• motorhome. departure terminal. postcards from the edge.

my dad has said that its only after you retire that you realize you can count your friends on one hand and still smoke a cigar. might as well get around.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    My folks are in their mid-70's....constantly traveling, belong to various Senior groups, play cards, shoot pool, Red Hat Society, Broadway plays.....enjoying life after putting in years of hard work.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Dad turns 79 this year. Plays tennis every single day mostly with guys 20 years younger than him, does times crossword in 15 minutes - in pen, volunteers at Knights of Columbus, watches Fox news and Court TV. Three of his sisters live 10 minutes down the road.

Mom is 75, worries about her kids and grandkids, plays tennis, cards, mah jong, shops for bargains at Kohls. Her little sister lives in same community as my Dad's sisters.

They go to Destin once a year with my sister's family, Atlanta for Thanksgiving with the same sister. To L.A. to see my oldest sister every two or three years and Virginia Beach once a year to see my Mom's best friend from college. We all visit them about twice a year each.

My folks have it pretty square-rooted out at this point and if you ask me, its a pretty sweet deal.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    My dad is 76, twice retired, golfs every day and marshals on the weekend.

My mom is 58, semi-retired (could work but doesn't need/want to). She tends to the gardens, goes on day-trips with her friends, babysits her grandson, and volunteers.

They both go to the gym regularly to do yoga and water aerobics, and they take a long vacation in the summer.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My mom is 69, retired, and living alone since my pop passed away at 66 back in 2009. She goes to group therapy to help cope with the loss, aerobics, church, and hanging out with a friend of hers. Otherwise, she hasn't taken to traveling as I have suggested, as she is fearful of traveling alone. Yet, I have told her how wifey and I always see groups of seniors traveling on tours everywhere we have visited. This concept has yet to sink in, but I hope it does as she has yet to fully adjust to losing dad. It's unfortunate as she devoted most of her life to being a wife and mother, never stopping to develop a life and identity of her own. I really worry about her and I pray she develops the confidence to venture out and enjoy life to the fullest..

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• My dad's a recent retired cop. He retired about 2-3 years ago. He's the type that can't stop working. He does some private investigation work with his friends company as well as restoring cars at another friends business. He's also been seen driving school buses around too. He's currently working on a restoration project of his own, an old Yamaha motorcycle. He's also one of the top vehicle VIN number guys in the us so he gets flown out to auctions to make sure everything matches on the vehicles. Surprisingly he's let the yard go since he retired...

My mom's still a couple years from retirement, but my parents have plans of doing a lot of traveling when she does.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    My mom would like to be retired, but she can't quite afford to retire just yet, so she works a couple days a week as a visiting nurse. Besides that, she plays bridge, tends to her little garden in the backyard, bird-watches, and travels when she can.

My dad can afford to retire, but he doesn't know what he'd do with himself if he didn't have some work to do, so he's in "phased retirement," the phases of which keep getting pushed back. But he's already had to quit doing the thing he most enjoyed doing at his job (being in the OR doing angioplasties and cardiac catherterizations) because he's simply not physically able to do it anymore due to back problems. As he's always saying, "My body's not up to the task, but my mind is," so he's become something of a consultant, helping other hospitals set up cath labs (particularly in developing nations, which I think is pretty cool) and working in professional organizations like the American College of Cardiology. But he's also taking the time to enjoy himself, which is something he neglected to do back in the day, and that's a good thing.