• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    SLurg said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Plus, I have a new 6 x 6 Expedit
    They make 6x6 now ?

Hey Slurg,

Yes, they have made them a while now, and they make a really efficient use of space. Here is the exact model that I have:

i'm digging that sixth "phantom" row

yeah, they created the illusion of a 5x5 minimalist design without sacrificing the real 6x6 capacity

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    soundsreal said:
    get rid of everything that doesn't get played at least a few times a year

Like this MO but if this were the case I'd have maybe a single crate. Imagine all the space that would free up! But until that day I'll be rockin my 4 x 6 expedit and 10 or so 45 boxes.

• JLR said:
    herbacios tweed said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    SLurg said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    They make 6x6 now ?

Hey Slurg,

Yes, they have made them a while now, and they make a really efficient use of space. Here is the exact model that I have:

yeah, they created the illusion of a 5x5 minimalist design without sacrificing the real 6x6 capacity

I think it's 6 x 6 feet, not cubbies.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    JLR said:
    herbacios tweed said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    SLurg said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    They make 6x6 now ?

Hey Slurg,

I think it's 6 x 6 feet, not cubbies.

Yep, it's 6 feet x 6 feet. "They don't call me Big Stacks for nuttin'!!!" ;-)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    JLR, your Neanderthal avatar looks WAY too happy with himself.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I have a 2x4 "expedit" type thing with a little extra room for additions in my record room. Those are the records I'll probably never part with. I can't tell you how good it feels to have room for new things to come into my life instead of cramming crap in to every cubby.

I have 7 crates of records for sale that I take to record shows and sell on Craigslist. It supports my habit and makes me feel ok about taking on new records occasionally.

I keep one flip stack of French, Brazilian, and Indie at the Fiance's desk.

Then there's one hidden 5x5 Expedit of an incredible jazz collection that was donated to me that I'm saving for the future when I have time in my life for it.

I consider all this a recent success.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Does anyone here remember seeing flyers around the NYC area in the late 90's for "Urban Wood"

This guy made custom record shelves. Wonder if he is still around? They look pretty ill

• The only time I have a WTF moment with my records is when I gotta move the suckers to a new apartment. I know I'm "little dude" with 17 crates...

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Yes, I have these moments. i baely can't walk through my crib at the moment.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    DeeRock said:
    Does anyone here remember seeing flyers around the NYC area in the late 90's for "Urban Wood"

This guy made custom record shelves. Wonder if he is still around? They look pretty ill

I think this is the dude who built my shelves. I found a flier in a Philly record shop around 2002 and he said he had just moved from NYC. I am still super happy with that purchase too, really well built.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    The_Non said:
    JLR, your Neanderthal avatar looks WAY too happy with himself.

ANCIENT SWAG

• I had this moment when my girlfriend moved in. Stacks of crates in the living room and hallway. She got me to actually organize them and bought me a 5x5 expidit.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Escalante said:
    I had this moment when my girlfriend moved in. Stacks of crates in the living room and hallway. She got me to actually organize them and bought me a 5x5 expidit.

That'll do it, alright. My fiance and I had a bunch of fights over what to keep, what to lose, and how to use the space when we moved in together. I now have a 4x2 perched on top of a 4x4 with all of my 45 boxes on top of it all. And two very small holders next to the turntables in the kitchen and living room. It would take a black hole to condense my collection any further.

• DB_Cooper said:
    Escalante said:
    I had this moment when my girlfriend moved in. Stacks of crates in the living room and hallway. She got me to actually organize them and bought me a 5x5 expidit.

That'll do it, alright. My fiance and I had a bunch of fights over what to keep, what to lose, and how to use the space when we moved in together. I now have a 4x2 perched on top of a 4x4 with all of my 45 boxes on top of it all. And two very small holders next to the turntables in the kitchen and living room. It would take a black hole to condense my collection any further.

She didn't want me to get rid of anything, just look better. Even now that I'm putting some stuff on ebay she questions me. I told her if it's been 3+ years and I haven't pulled the record out, I don't need it. She actually loves the look of the expidit in the living room. I think she enjoys impressing guests with the collection.

Escalante said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Escalante said:

She didn't want me to get rid of anything, just look better. Even now that I'm putting some stuff on ebay she questions me. I told her if it's been 3+ years and I haven't pulled the record out, I don't need it. She actually loves the look of the expidit in the living room. I think she enjoys impressing guests with the collection.

Oh, don't be fooled???she never suggested I get rid of any my records. Dishes, shoes, etc, yes, but no records. Her copy of the Annie soundtrack however.... well, it's still there. But I may have to action it at some point down the line. Mitigate it by way of the trash receptacle, as it were.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I now have a 4x2 perched on top of a 4x4

Did you brace these to the wall? Thank to Possum Tom my wife is all over this idea, and is all tapping her foot with impatience wondering when this is going to get done..

Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Did you brace these to the wall? Thank to Possum Tom my wife is all over this idea, and is all tapping her foot with impatience wondering when this is going to get done..

No bracing. I use the Egyptian pyramidal method. Fold over a heavy piece of cardboard a couple of times and shove it under the front of the Expedit so it's not visible, but bunched under the front end. The weight of the records will crush it so that the front is only a few centimeters off the ground, but the differential will have the whole setup leaning just a bit toward the wall. The 2x4 on top will sit at the same angle, also leaning somewhat into the wall. I never notice the slight lean either???it's almost imperceptible unless you're looking for it. But unless we have a major earthquake, that shit's not going anywhere.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:

No bracing. I use the Egyptian pyramidal method...

lmsyrt... ayfkmwts?!

Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:

No bracing. I use the Egyptian pyramidal method...

lmsyrt... ayfkmwts?!

Nope. Dead serious. That's how the pyramids were built as well. Inward-leaning blocks.

b/w

You and wife-dawg should come check it out over cocktails.

Bomus beat: I've been trying to introduce Tess to "Wife Dawg" as a nickname, and get her to call me "Hubb Rock". But it's not going over too well.

• DB_Cooper said:
    Escalante said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Escalante said:

Oh, don't be fooled???she never suggested I get rid of any my records. Dishes, shoes, etc, yes, but no records. Her copy of the Annie soundtrack however.... well, it's still there. But I may have to action it at some point down the line. Mitigate it by way of the trash receptacle, as it were.

I went from crates in the living room and dining room(you can kinda make out the records in the dining room)

To this....

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i think i have 35,000 LPs and 15,000 45s or so. theres no going back!

just did a major LP purge, dumped 12 feet of Lps. the LPs were so jammed on the shelves that when i was done i had only yielded 3 feet of open shelf space.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

Bomus beat

future child

• How do you guys get rid of worthless commons? Talmbout shit like 2nd and 3rd copies of stuff like Supertramp that you never remember getting but seems to mysteriously turn up come purge time. Just throw that shit to the curb? Got like 5 boxes of crap like this.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    soundsreal said:
    How do you guys get rid of worthless commons? Talmbout shit like 2nd and 3rd copies of stuff like Supertramp that you never remember getting but seems to mysteriously turn up come purge time. Just throw that shit to the curb? Got like 5 boxes of crap like this.

I give them to the greatest nation in the world.... DO-nation!

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I recently finished picking about 1/4 of my collection, I just need to sell them now (which is probably the hard part).
    The two major obstacles I had were getting rid of samples & breaks even though I haven't made a beat in over 3 years & insisted on keeping records based these 3 or 4 second samples, not to mention the fact that I'm no longer interested in making hip hop style beats anymore.
    The other main obstacle seemed to be whether or not to keep the more pop/mainstream style records. In a way it feels like an obligation to have those types of records if you dj, especially when there are more & more all vinyl events/nights where they would be necessary. If it weren't for this I probably would of gotten rid of 90% of my house & hip hop records too.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I'm curious as to what you dj's out there have done with respect to this last issue.