"WTF are all of these records doing in my house?" moments

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
Does it happen to you? The moment you stare at your collection and think "how did this happen?" "what was I thinking?" "Do I NEED this in my life?"

Let's talk

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I tried to buy one from you!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    But yeah, spent yesterday rebuilding my shelves to add dividers. Sweated off about 10lbs and put everything back in the wrong order so a resort is needed. At least 200 records need to go. But last time I tried that I ended up with more.

• JLR said:
    Does it happen to you? The moment you stare at your collection and think "how did this happen?" "what was I thinking?" "Do I NEED this in my life?"

Let's talk

for sure, i keep telling my self "oh yea im gonna rip that Rawkus deadstock instrumental jawn gold, then i'll sell to Cheapo" but it never happens, not enough time in the day....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yes. Always when I move and some fleeting moments of great clarity a couple of times a year.

I had people over after I played on Saturday and was showing them the house. One of the girls laughed and said "You have a record room."
    One forgets the whole world does not have record rooms when everyone they know has a record room or is an enabler/supporter/family member of those with record rooms.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    SportCasual said:

yeah, but you caught me in of of those "I'm not into records anymore. I will ignore them" times

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    bassie said:
    Yes. Always when I move and some fleeting moments of great clarity a couple of times a year.

Yes. Especially the moving. God damn.

During these moments, I usually end up thinking a 4x4 expedit is the MOST amount of records that one can reasonably have, although even that is pushing it. Of course, my "reasonable amount" is completely subjective and borderline arbitrary, but it feels like an amount I'd be OK with. Just need to get rid of about 5-600 records. And the 7"s..... given my current listening setups in the living room and kitchen, listening to 7"s just doesn't work logistically most of the time any more. But the thought of getting rid of all of them...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    JLR said:
    SportCasual said:

yeah, but you caught me in of of those "I'm not into records anymore. I will ignore them" times

Yeah that's what it looked like! No worries!

still have it?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    JLR said:
    SportCasual said:

Yeah that's what it looked like! No worries!

still have it?

Oh yeah, still looks like you and I are the only human beings aware of it's existence, PM offer and it's yours haha

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The fat is in need of trimming for sure.

DB_Cooper said:
    And the 7"s..... given my current listening setups in the living room and kitchen, listening to 7"s just doesn't work logistically most of the time any more.

cmon now!
    you invite friends and a grip of their favourite/newest 45s over, you get some drinks, you set up by the stereo and you take turns playing 45s for each other.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    JLR!

Quality not Quantity.

Ever since I went on meds a few years a go, things needed to be like out of a design magazine = no records on the floor, one solid expedite, a couple (well-hidden) new arrival bins.

Sold probably 3/4's of my collection that way... bought a bunch of hi end camera gear and music equipment with the dough.

Life is good.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    P.S.

MP3's sound like shit.

• SportCasual said:
    At least 200 records need to go.

(page me)

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    RAJ said:
    P.S.

MP3's sound like shit.

what about FLACs?

I feel you on the house design thing. We've been on a Le Cobusier / Rationalism shit/phase with my wife and records look out of place. I'm waiting for a cozzy hippie phase to start to feel comfortable with records again.

bassie said:

cmon now!
    you invite friends and a grip of their favourite/newest 45s over, you get some drinks, you set up by the stereo and you take turns playing 45s for each other.

And eat fondue, duh.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

During these moments, I usually end up thinking a 4x4 expedit is the MOST amount of records that one can reasonably have, although even that is pushing it. Of course, my "reasonable amount" is completely subjective and borderline arbitrary, but it feels like an amount I'd be OK with.

I'm actually down to a 4 X4 expedit now, plus a few boxes in the attic. Moving 4 times in a year is a real incentive to purge the collection for sure. Now, I feel like I really don't need more - rather keep sorting out the stuff I don't need and go for quality. Maybe I'll reach a point where I don't feel like letting anything go, but it's actually been easier than I thought. A lot of rap 12s and braeks back in circulation for the littler dudes of the world.

Um, no. Have tickle fights.
    The idea that I would allow someone to get cheese and chocolate on their hands and then touch my stereo is outrageous.

bassie said:
    The idea that I would allow someone to get cheese and chocolate on their hands and then touch my stereo is outrageous.

Tupperware parties are supposed to be outrageous though.

• bassie said:

bassie said:

Tupperware parties are supposed to be outrageous though.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    bassie said:

wait for the kids in the family, I have had salami in my cd player. "It's a circle, it should play"

• Feeling the Quality over Quantity thing lately. I'm on a mission to get rid of everything that doesn't get played at least a few times a year and to re-invest the funds in higher end records at something lie a 10:1 ratio. As someone mentioned once in another thread, if I get rid of a dozen records but in the future end up needing to buy 1 of them back again that's still a good deal. Plus another positive is that the prices of some records that I once considered out of my range seems a lot more reasonable of an investment when I consider all of the $20 records that I won't be buying/filling up the shelves with.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Having a basement entails having WTF moments weekly. Listening, buying, selling, and sorting causes a major
    clusterfuck for a bachelor. Schitt gets covered up fast. Genres mixed with other genres. Discogs vs. ebay vs. djing stacks
    gets old. They make me money, make the wine go down smoother, beer taste better, and the smoke smoke faster. It counts.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey JLR,

Yes, I have had "WTF are all these records doing in my house" moments. I'm having one right now, as I have nearly 1,000 new records I've purchased over the past several months interspersed between my family room and upstairs music room. Hell, I have a collection sitting on the floor of the music room consisting of stacks from (a) old mixes or (b) vinyls I've bought but have yet to file away. Plus, I have a new 6 x 6 Expedit to assemble to store said records, but I have yet to do so.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Plus, I have a new 6 x 6 Expedit
    They make 6x6 now ?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    SLurg said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    They make 6x6 now ?

Hey Slurg,

Yes, they have made them for a while now, and they make a really efficient use of space. Here is the exact model that I have:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• do any of you guys use air purifiers??

i store wax in livin room / live in a small house wit 3 kids....
    appreciate any tips

• do any of you guys use air purifiers??

i store wax in livin room / live in a small house wit 3 kids....
    appreciate any tips

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Burns said:
    Having a basement entails having WTF moments weekly.

Cosign.
    I thinnk your everyday proximity to your records has a direct correlaion as to how often you have a WTF momet regarding said records.
    My Expedit sits, filled to the brim, with stuff i havent listened to in years in the basement. and that is after a thorough purge this spring where i dumped close to 900 records.

• Big_Stacks said:
    SLurg said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    They make 6x6 now ?

Hey Slurg,

Yes, they have made them a while now, and they make a really efficient use of space. Here is the exact model that I have:

i'm digging that sixth "phantom" row