calling bevan aka dj sheep

davidwingatedavidwingate 748 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
yo my man, how are you? so I have two japanese records I got in the late 90's from the french cat roman at A-1 and I have never been able to find out anything about them. i even spoke to dj silverchild from Kobe and he was telling me that they are rare, but I would love to know more. i am wondering if you can help a brother out.

They are
1. Shigeru Suzuki-white heat on invitation records 1979

2. Noriko miyamoto with Isao Suzuki-Push on Yupiteru Records 1983

amir

Comments

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Im not DJ Sheep, but can I comment?

Both are pretty common. The Shigeru Suzuki is max 1k Yen. I've heard or owned most of his records at some point, but not this one. I could be wrong, but by the looks of it and the year, I'm not expecting that it??s very good.
    The one you want of his is Band Wagon. But the *real* ones you want are the first two Happy End albums. Different style of music, but both rule the earth.

The Miyamoto doesnt turn up as often, but is 2.0 - 3.5k yen (depending on the store and whether it has obi or not). From memory its decent soul-jazz / vocal-jazz style, right? Im sure I have a copy somewhere.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Amir,

Cosign on what MattB said... Push, USED to be a $80 record, but recently it's $30-40 in perfect shape. The Shigeru Suzuki is a tenner... if you're after more stuff in that vein, we should talk, I got some bangers that make those pale...

Isao Suzuki was a jazz musician who did some fairly "ok" records on Three Blind Mice, maybe "Blow Out" and Noriko Miyamoto was a singer, obviously... I think the track "Cadillac Woman" was the hot joint off there. Actually, Big Chan put me onto that record or Paul Nice, I can't remember... nice joint...

and if you speak to Taka / Silver Child, tell him what's from me! That guy is the man!

B

mattB said:
    Im not DJ Sheep, but can I comment?

Wasn't your parting comment in Japan to me "I'm not a drum break guy".... hahah! what up Matt!

haha I dont remember, but it sounds like me
    Sorted through your massive haul of raer from the trip yet?

mattB said:
    haha I dont remember, but it sounds like me
    Sorted through your massive haul of raer from the trip yet?

Half of it's gone. The shit I got on this last trip was mental, thanks for showing me those records....

Weird Gear on tomorrow, some more will go... you guys on tomorrow too huh?

Yep. Pricing up a box of records right now actually.

• djsheep said:
    Isao Suzuki was a jazz musician

Still very much active. He plays a lot at places like Aketa no Mise in Ogikubo. Next time you're over ... ;)

• thx Bevan! I figured as much but back in 2002 Taka was tellin me that those records were hard to get. oh well! i used both of those records on track volume 4 part c and d cassette. am definitely looking for more stuff like that but money is tight.

amir

• rayray 77 Posts
    On the subject of Japanese records, would either of you comment on the going rate for Minoru Muraoka's "Bamboo" LP? I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of this several years ago at a Half Price Books for about $5. I have no desire to part with it, but I've seen mention of it going for considerably more than that. Plus I have an acquaintance that makes regular trade offers...that I feel are far below its sonic worth. It would be nice to set him straight. Any information would be appreciated...

• ray said:
    On the subject of Japanese records, would either of you comment on the going rate for Minoru Muraoka's "Bamboo" LP? I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of this several years ago at a Half Price Books for about $5. I have no desire to part with it, but I've seen mention of it going for considerably more than that. Plus I have an acquaintance that makes regular trade offers...that I feel are far below its sonic worth. It would be nice to set him straight. Any information would be appreciated...

$150 is about the going rate....$5 is a steal

Gatefold (original) or Single sleeve (second press)?
    Obi or no Obi?

• rayray 77 Posts
    mattB said:
    Gatefold (original) or Single sleeve (second press)?
    Obi or no Obi?

It's a heavy gatefold with a picture of Minoru Muraoka on the left...all the text is Japanese with the exception of English translations of the titles (this is from memory, so I believe that's the case). It's on the NEWS label.

It originally had an Obi...but I recall this being shortly after I graduated high school, about 15-16 years ago...and before I was aware of the significance of an Obi.

Thanks to both of you for responding...

davidwingate said:
    thx Bevan! I figured as much but back in 2002 Taka was tellin me that those records were hard to get. oh well! i used both of those records on track volume 4 part c and d cassette. am definitely looking for more stuff like that but money is tight.

amir

We can trade, send me a list, I got some killer disco shit people just ain't up on out there, it's actually laughable how much shit is still to be discovered and people are still trying to flip shit like spacy and flower travellin' band albums.. they ain't looking in the $ bins, and even if they are, their ears aren't tuned enuff to pick up on the heat... hit me with a number on the PM and I'll phone you...

ray said:

$200 is a fair price on that album, 2nd press on NEWS with gatefold, no OBI
    $150 without obi 2nd press.

First press (the one you got), looking at around $350 with the Obi, $250-275 without.

peace.

• rayray 77 Posts
    djsheep said:
    ray said:

$200 is a fair price on that album, 2nd press on NEWS with gatefold, no OBI
    $150 without obi 2nd press.

First press (the one you got), looking at around $350 with the Obi, $250-275 without.

peace.

...much higher than I would have thought. Really good album, though. Thank you for the information...

definitely one of the best albums jazz/ethnic wise to come out of Japan. DOES NOT show up, I've seen it once in Hiroshima and it was priced too high, I got mine in a set sale over at waxidermy for around the $200 mark...

• The girl on this cover reminds me of a girl I met in Yoyogi Park back in 08 - 09 ...

Could it be the same?