Good record stores in Barcelona?

lapsklauslapsklaus 9 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
Hi, all!

I'm new here, but a long time digger. I will be going to Barcelona on my honeymoon (yay!) next month, and will be looking to buy some vinyl. I'm usually mostly looking for 50s/60s/70s jazz and 60s/70s/80s reggae. I was hoping someone here might give me some tips on where to go, as I've never been to the city before.

Thanks, folks.

Greetings from Norway!

Klaus

Comments

• hi klaus, go to the search engine and search for barcelona there's been a few threads on this lately. recommended are discos juandos and the two on Riera Naixa Wah Wah and Edison's.

• Ah, yes... Should've thought about that before I posted. Thanks for being helpful.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    hey no offense but on your honeymoon shouldnt you be focusing on the mood and not the mood music?

• Heheh.. well put, Edulus! I was kinda waiting for that one!

In most cases, you'd be very right about that. Though, luckily, I'm happy to tell you that my soon-to-be-wife is more than happy to join me in some honeymoon crate digging!

All the best,

Klaus

• leonleon 883 Posts
    lapsklaus said:
    Heheh.. well put, Edulus! I was kinda waiting for that one!

In most cases, you'd be very right about that. Though, luckily, I'm happy to tell you that my soon-to-be-wife is more than happy to join me in some honeymoon crate digging!

All the best,

Klaus

Sounds like a dream team, congrats!
    There are a bunch of record stores in a parallel street of Ramblas. Also, you should check the wah-wah store, more shops in that neighbourhood too... http://www.wah-wahsupersonic.com/html/shop.html

• Thanks a lot! Appreciated! All tips noted!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My experience in Spain suggested that Franco did not allow jazz and reggae into Spain, or rock or soul. All the music we like was imported or produced after the fall of Franco. So forget 50s and 60s.

Barcelona is a great city with endless great things to do. I wasted a few hours digging. It was fruitful.
    But lying on the beach, visiting buildings, museums and sitting in Cathedral Square or at a cafe is a much better use of your time.

When you get overwhelmed by Gaudi go to Mies van der Rohe's Barcelona Pavilion (The German Pavilion at Barcelona) to remind yourself how sublime architecture can be.

Mozel tov on your wedding and welcome.

• LaserWolf! Nice nickname, by the way.

That's an interesting fact! I'll see what I can dig out from the stores. I've got a very eclectic taste in music, so hopefully I'll find some records anyway. Really looking forward to all the things you mention, as well as eating and drinking. I'm very interested in arcitechture, so thanks a lot for the tip about the Mies van der Rohe Pavilion. Great tip and already noted down in my book!

Thanks a lot, LaserWolf!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    After the fall of Franco an indigence style of prog rock developed in Spain called rock andaluz. Well worth searching out what you can find, thou it doesn't come cheap. Unfortunately, Catalan was far removed from the Andaluz sound. The local Catalan stuff I found was boring, but occasional contained a salsa beat.

When I was there the street musicians were world class.

• That's a great tip, thanks! I've heard that Spain has a history with prog rock, but didn't know the term rock andaluz. I'll see if can find some good sources to read about it before I go. Thanks again, LaserWolf! All the tips goes right into my memo book, which I'll bring for the trip.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    After the fall of Franco an indigence style of prog rock developed in Spain called rock andaluz. Well worth searching out what you can find, thou it doesn't come cheap. Unfortunately, Catalan was far removed from the Andaluz sound. The local Catalan stuff I found was boring, but occasional contained a salsa beat.

When I was there the street musicians were world class.

Rock andaluz means rock from Andaluc??a, the southern state of Spain. The catalan wave of jazzy prog rock in the 70s / 80s was called rock laiet?? (a reference to Via Laietana, a street where rock venues used to be).

The stuff about jazz and Franco might be true, but he died in 75 and there has been enough time to catch up: Discos Juand?? has a pretty good jazz selection. US Blue Notes, Prestiges etc + spanish stuff. You'll definitely find something there. In the late 60s, some jamaican bands based in the UK even played at beach resorts in Spain. Fact. If you're looking for 70s/80s reggae, try the stores on Tallers street. For 60s reggae, Daily Records is definitely the best spot. It's on Sitges street, just off Tallers.

Good luck, enjoy the city, and congratulations!

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts
    Wah wah and Discos juandos were the shops i found most stuff
    but also check Revolver 11 Carrer De Tallers http://www.discos-revolver.com/
    This list should help you: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Analog_Loyalist/record_stores_in_barcelona

And for the food you absolutly have to check this place, incredible food (and cheap):
    "Orgasmic" Junta Comer?? Street 11, Barcelona. http://www.travelettes.net/restaurants-we-like-orgasmic-barcelona/

The only annoying thing about Barcelone is the beach which is really dirty (junk in the sand, plastic bags in the water).
    So try to avoid "barcelonetta beach" and go to beaches that are a little bit farer from the town. I'll post you the exact location.

I wish you to have great time

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts
    To go to a clean beach take the subway and
    stop at "Poblenou" (L4/yellow line). Then the beach
    is at 10 mn walk.

Congratulations and enjoy your trip

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    vinegar said:
    To go to a clean beach take the subway and
    stop at "Poblenou" (L4/yellow line). Then the beach
    is at 10 mn walk.

Congratulations and enjoy your trip

I heartily endorse that. I lived in Poblenou for a year, it's a great old neighborhood (although going through some changes lately).

After the beach, stop at the Horchater??a (Rambla de Poblenou and LLull street if I'm not wrong) and try some horchata de chufa in the terrace. Classic afternoon treat in Barcelona.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I lived in Poblenou for a year,
    Wait... you lived in Barcelona for a year?

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    leon said:

Yup.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Dante said:
    leon said:

Yup.

Hah, ok, sorry, thought i was reading a post by Lapsklaus...

your avatars look alike

B/W

i need glasses.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    vinegar said:

The only annoying thing about Barcelone is the beach which is really dirty (junk in the sand, plastic bags in the water).

The other annoying thing is that you really have to keep an eye on your stuff. I got robbed two times already. No violence involved but still really nasty. Just make sure you don't leave your stuff unattended not for a moment. Especially on Ramblas and Plaza Catalunya.
    Make sure you take some walks in the neighbourhoods of Gr??cia and Ribeira. Not as overcrowded as Barrio G??tico and still some nice bars and plazas to hang out.

Hope I make it to BCN this year.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    leon said:
    Dante said:
    leon said:

Yup.

Hah, ok, sorry, thought i was reading a post by Lapsklaus...

your avatars look alike

B/W

i need glasses.

Because all people with afros look alike?
    :racist:

B/W you definitely do.