New to ebay selling/Questions/Tips

EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
So due to my new unemployment status, I've decided to start peddling some records on ebay. I've sold equipment and other random things, but never records. I understand how picky we can all be with our records. I have a couple questions.

I did a quick thread search and didn't really see any topic focusing on this.

What do you all like to see in your listings? What info? Audio samples?

What is considered VG and what is just plain pathetic to list/quality wise?

I know I can't make everyone happy but I want to avoid any complaints once the record has been received.

Thanks for all your help.

(Maybe I'm gonna get blasted for posting this because it's probably been talked about before, or maybe I posted in the wrong section)

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Escalante said:

(Maybe I'm gonna get blasted for posting this because it's probably been talked about before, or maybe I posted in the wrong section)

We used to discuss records in this forum...now its all Whole Foods and Sandals.
    Try back in the fall maybe?

• mrmatthew said:
    Escalante said:

We used to discuss records in this forum...now its all Whole Foods and Sandals.
    Try back in the fall maybe?

lol

• Escalante,

Some things i appreciate as a buyer:

- Big and sharp pics taken under a bright lamp / in daylight

- A clear and simple grading system: one person's VG has some scuffs that hardly affect play, while others think that completely trashed records are still "VG". I personally prefer a system made up of VG / VG+ / NM / M. A VG record should play trough w/ no skips, but can have slight surface noise. Big scratches or noise overpowering the music = G or VG-

- What are your shipping costs, both national and international? Do you require registered / insured mail above a certain amount?

- How do you pack/protect the records?

- Most info regarding tracklists. players, etc is available online. Keep it short and simple. No "this record will blow your mind!@#%^% Awesome private press psych funk blast from the fried underworld!!&(

Hope that helps :-)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, it's kind of amazing how much effort a lot of people put into basically useless information. There is so much info out there at this point. No one really wants to read a paragraph of your personal ruminations.

Some easy things you can do to avoid answering a lot of questions:

Have a grading scale & have it defined. If you're not using a standardized scale like Goldmine then write a couple descriptive sentences about the scale you're working with.

Label pictures. Even if it's just pulling the disc halfway out in the photo. Especially with major label stuff.

Do audio for obscure stuff. Even if it's just 2-3 minutes of one song. Even if you think it sucks.

Also, have some sort of general theme to your list. Even it's loose. And unless you're listing mega heat try to run 50-100+ things at a time. If you aren't an established dude and you come with nickel and dime lists of 10 or 20 middling titles a week you're basically wasting your time.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    hcrink said:
    No one really wants to read a paragraph of your personal ruminations.

I CLEARLY SEE THAT THE JEALOUS ARE STILL NUMEROUS AS BEFORE...
    LET ME SHOW YOU THAT I AM THE MAGICIAN IN 2011 !

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    hcrink said:
    Yeah, it's kind of amazing how much effort a lot of people put into basically useless information. There is so much info out there at this point. No one really wants to read a paragraph of your personal ruminations.

It really irks me when people use their listings as a platform for their failed 'music criticism'.

YOU AREN'T LESTER BANGS.

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    Rad Chez said:
    Escalante,

Some things i appreciate as a buyer:

- Big and sharp pics taken under a bright lamp / in daylight

- A clear and simple grading system: one person's VG has some scuffs that hardly affect play, while others think that completely trashed records are still "VG". I personally prefer a system made up of VG / VG+ / NM / M. A VG record should play trough w/ no skips, but can have slight surface noise. Big scratches or noise overpowering the music = G or VG-

- What are your shipping costs, both national and international? Do you require registered / insured mail above a certain amount?

- How do you pack/protect the records?

- Most info regarding tracklists. players, etc is available online. Keep it short and simple. No "this record will blow your mind!@#%^% Awesome private press psych funk blast from the fried underworld!!&(

Hope that helps :-)

Thanks for all the info. My main concern was with grading. I actually have started providing snippets just to ensure the quality to the buyers. What I considered a mint record, the buyer considered VG.

I've been posting 45's so what I have provided is a nice pic of both sides.

hcrink said:

Have a grading scale & have it defined. If you're not using a standardized scale like Goldmine then write a couple descriptive sentences about the scale you're working with.

Label pictures. Even if it's just pulling the disc halfway out in the photo. Especially with major label stuff.

Do audio for obscure stuff. Even if it's just 2-3 minutes of one song. Even if you think it sucks.

Also, have some sort of general theme to your list. Even it's loose. And unless you're listing mega heat try to run 50-100+ things at a time. If you aren't an established dude and you come with nickel and dime lists of 10 or 20 middling titles a week you're basically wasting your time.

Does having a theme make a big difference?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Escalante said:
    hcrink said:

sorry, a theme helps. doesn't mean they have to be all in the same genre, but if they target a certain type of collector then that's a plus.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Escalante said:

If you list similar genre items together you are more likely to have people bid on multiple items to save on shipping.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    billbradley said:
    Escalante said:

If you list similar genre items together you are more likely to have people bid on multiple items to save on shipping.

Yeah, it makes a big difference. Auctions with a number of like items will definitely get more attention and are more likely to start a feeding frenzy.

billbradley said:
    Escalante said:

Got it.

I've noticed so many more bidders/buyers from outside the US.

So far I've only been listing 45's.

So I got 48 records up. Decided to really spend some time listing. It's in the classifieds here. Any feedback on my lists would be appreciated. I was gonna say be as harsh as you want, but this is Soulstrut, no one holds their tongue.

No super raers....Too much CHUD?

Not enough info?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    You should start many or most of those at way lower prices.

Are you trying to make money or just move these out of your sight?

You need more detail info in your listing.
    I prefer a back picture of the album.
    When your at a record store, you don't just look at the front cover, you turn it over.

Burns said:

When your at a record store, you don't just look at the front cover, you turn it over.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the prices were too high after posting them. I'm not trying to make tons money, just unload some records.

I really appreciate the feedback.

• Burns said:

Off subject, I see you are in Louisville. I'll be moving to either Louisville or Evansville, IN. How do you like Louisville?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Escalante said:
    Burns said:

Off subject, I see you are in Louisville. I'll be moving to either Louisville or Evansville, IN. How do you like Louisville?

Louisville is cool, easy to live. Great place to hideout, or do your own thing. With a new mayor, and re-birth of downtown; its looking positive.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    you will find that 99% of your butthurt customers will be th eones who spend less than $20...someone pays $400 for a record, you will find will be easy to make happy. The ones who don't spend money, pains in the ass. I have one guy who paid for his record this past Friday, spent less than $20, and is from Europe... today I got a message "where is my record?"

Ugh.

• Some of us who do auctions of 20 or less at a time do it because we like to ship the next day after payment and that ain't happening with 100-record auctions.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    you will find that 99% of your butthurt customers will be th eones who spend less than $20...someone pays $400 for a record, you will find will be easy to make happy. The ones who don't spend money, pains in the ass. I have one guy who paid for his record this past Friday, spent less than $20, and is from Europe... today I got a message "where is my record?"

Ugh.

The first record I sold was a 45 to a buyer in France. 100 dollar auction. Had zero issues or questions. Easy transaction. All the messages I got about auctions were from people asking questions that were clearly stated in the listing.

Some of us who do auctions of 20 or less at a time do it because we like to ship the next day after payment and that ain't happening with 100-record auctions.

It took me 2 days to list 48 records(including taking pics/pricing). I can't imagine trying to list 100+ on my own, not to mention shipping. Luckily my girl does all the shipping at her company so I just pack them up and send them with her.

My first Auctions came and went. 48 records records listed. One sold :-/
    A bit disappointed but I learned a lot. Definitely gotta list my records a lot lower. Next time around gonna put some more info in and audio samples and a couple more pics.

Still questioning international shipping. I got 10+ messages asking about shipping prices to different countries. I think the shipping prices scared them off.

Do you all have any suggestions for international shipping. From what I found USPS Priority International is the best route.

Thanks again for all your help.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Plantweed said:
    Some of us who do auctions of 20 or less at a time do it because we like to ship the next day after payment and that ain't happening with 100-record auctions.

very righteous.
    I have probably waited the longest on records from an enormous auction list.
    I was on the brink of negativity, but it was an SS'er who sold it though.