Comments

• that's depressing news. he is one of my favourite songwriters ever. RIP left rev. McD

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    That audio about Les Mcann was interesting.

RIP

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    God Damn It.
    RIP

• RIP Headless was seminal. I hope I dont have another post like this for a long time it seems like a particularly bad year for this kind of news.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    RIP to an amazing songwriter and artist.

People in my office not ready for Headless Heroes right now. They must deal.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Damn. Damn. DAMN.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    RIP. Those audio clips are great BTW.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I even like the stuff McDaniels did BEFORE he got political.

Whether it's "Tower Of Strength" or "Welfare City," (Eu)Gene McDaniels was alright with me.

• very sad news.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Just a while ago found the Natural Juices lp some really deep shit going on therre, next level consciousness

May he rest in Peace.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Damn, RIP to one of the illest ever.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Shieeeeeeeeet. One of my favorite songwriters of all time, definitely. Both his early days

and his 'classic' stuff blow my mind

Thanks for everything, Eugene.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    RIP - Those interviews are great btw, thanks for posting Pickwick.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    IWhether it's "Tower Of Strength" or "Welfare City," (Eu)Gene McDaniels was alright with me.

RIP

"Tower Of Strength" was a staple on the old Soupy Sales Show so I was listening to Gene at age 6 or 7 without knowing it.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    rip

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    RIP

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    RIP the rev. The unspoken dreams of light..

Sunday and sister jones off Roberta flack's quiet fire.

• bummer, rip

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    For the time that "Headless Heores" came out in, Eugene was a pretty ballsy performer, outside of Gil Scott Heron i can't think of many other people who really commented on social ills/race matters and confronted the goverment with such beauty and musical acumen. It's easy to imagine standing up for these things now a days but to be an intelectual/outspoken/controversial man of color in the late 60's/early 70's on a major recording company couldn't have been an easy move to make. R.I.P to a beautiful musician and human being. Losing him and Gil Scott this year was incredibly sad considering that they probably still had great/radical ideas to share, things we aren't going to hear from the new generation of performers we have today. I mean, Eugene couldn't get certain musicians to play with him cause he WAS being watched by the Nixon Administration and they wanted no part of it. True Legend.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    pickwick33 said:
    IWhether it's "Tower Of Strength" or "Welfare City," (Eu)Gene McDaniels was alright with me.

RIP

"Tower Of Strength" was a staple on the old Soupy Sales Show so I was listening to Gene at age 6 or 7 without knowing it.

Damn, I had no idea he was the same Gene McDaniels who wrote & recorded the o.g. of that. The Frankie Vaughan version was a big hit in the UK when I was still in nappies.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

He was one of those special people who finds a way to make a living as an artist while being true to their own artistic impulses - much respect

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    francozola0 said:
    RIP Headless was seminal.
    Get it off your chest by chillhood