Classic Jamaican Break 12"s

Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Over the years I've picked up a few classic breakbeats that were pressed up on bootleg 12" in JA in the 70s:Arawak All Stars: Apache/Bongo Rock (Arawak)Apachie Band: Apachie/Bungo Rock (Dell Tone)[both of these are boots of the Incredible Bongo Band versions]Captain Sky: Super Sporm (Dynamic Sounds)There are others, right? Were these mainly distributed to the NYC market?K in Canada? Somebody?

Comments

• Options
    Over the years I've picked up a few classic breakbeats that were pressed up on bootleg 12" in JA in the 70s:

Arawak All Stars: Apache/Bongo Rock (Arawak)

Apachie Band: Apachie/Bungo Rock (Dell Tone)

[both of these are boots of the Incredible Bongo Band versions]

Captain Sky: Super Sporm (Dynamic Sounds)

There are others, right? Were these mainly distributed to the NYC market?

K in Canada? Somebody?

Word is they're (the bongo bands, that is) actually NY records and were never pressed in Jamaica at all (which would explain why the text is similar to deeep disco and NY roots 12's of that era). May have ahd some Jmaican involvement, but after they had come to NEw York (maybe Phil Pratt?). I've got a "Pussyfooter" JA 12 - that's the only other I can think of (JA boots of US UBB-ish 12's). I'd wager this cateogory isn't 5 records deep.

45's and JA breaks on the other hand....

K.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    jb's blow your head claims to be from trinidad

• There's a "Super Sporm" 12" on Dynamic. I get that from time to time. I'll have to check if it's JA press when I get home, perhaps Kevin can enlighten in the meantime?

• Oh also found a "Chicken Yellow" 12" similar to the others. Alas, too trashed to take home.

And the bongo rock/apache 12" I've got in the shop right now is on a different label from those mentioned above.

• Options

12"?

K>

• Options
    There's a "Super Sporm" 12" on Dynamic. I get that from time to time. I'll have to check if it's JA press when I get home, perhaps Kevin can enlighten in the meantime?

I had that once too. Got a DSR matrix which pretty much seals it's JA-ness.

K>

• jb's blow your head claims to be from trinidad

12"?

K>

Yeah, Ari has one.

12"?

K>

yep

• Options

12"?

K>

yep

I know the 45 was pressed there, too.

Are we expanding this cateogory to other islands?

K.

Are we expanding this cateogory to other islands?

Well that depends- are there any more?

I assumed it was fake NYC pressing like the others...

• Options
    The 45 isn't, so...

K.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    not an "island", but the "scratchin" 12" says "canada".

other new york bootleg break 12":
    -lovomaniacs "sex"
    -john davis "i can't stop"
    -hustler's convention "sport" (this is actually legit)
    -pleasure "let's dance"
    -the paul winleys: cymande & creative source
    there's more

i need one of those super sporms if somebody has one.

• Options
    IF we pooled our lumberjacks and just cut alng the 49th parallel we could be a (very big) island. Australia who?

K.

the 12" is on celluloid, from the early 80's when they reissued the early last poets albums. i can't see disco deejays being too interested, so i guess it must have been for the "hiphop" market.

• manhattan's an island...

• i need one of those super sporms if somebody has one.

It's one of those one-sided deals with a checkerboard pattern etched into the blank side. I love that shit.

So what's with the "legit" Lightnin' Rod 12"? Is it on U.A.?

• -hustler's convention "sport" (this is actually legit)

the 12" is on celluloid, from the early 80's when they reissued the early last poets albums. i can't see disco deejays being too interested, so i guess it must have been for the "hiphop" market.

You mean the "Doriella Du Fontaine" 12" with Hendrix? I seen that a fair amount but have never seen one of "Sport."

naah, it's "sport" with "spoon" & "cafe black rose" on the flip.

the "i can't stop" bootleg also has that checkerboard pattern.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Word is they're (the bongo bands, that is) actually NY records and were never pressed in Jamaica at all (which would explain why the text is similar to deeep disco and NY roots 12's of that era).

Yup, makes sense to me. I have a lovely 12 of Arawak Allstars. I just assumed they chose Jamaica to throw the feds off?? I mean, not many reggae 45s say "made in Jamaica", so why the Apache?

But some of these records are a) well pressed and b) historically interesting, thus worth a lil loot.