Karen Carpenter

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
Yeah, I dont know where you can make a Karen Carpenter thread on a forum besides something that's easy listening...but her voice is one of my earliest memories that my immigrant parents would play (Western-wise), and I LOVE her voice. I remember a few years ago someone here posted a video of her on the drums while singing a Burt Bacharach song "Any day Now" and i was mesmerized (I exported that youtube as an mp3 and still listen to it to this day because it was that amazing). I made a post a week ago of just discovering Rod Temperton, and researching him, I discovered that he produced a track for Karen called "If We Try" and I've been listening to that on repeat everyday. So I don't know what to say besides, any other fans of Karen and songs that you would recommend aside from the more popular Carpenters tracks?

Comments

• love this tune:

drumming in 5/4 time + singing = :hard_as_fuck:

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    neil_something said:
    love this tune:

That's delicious! Thanks!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    alieNDN said:
    neil_something said:
    love this tune:

:face_melt:

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    pcmr said:
    alieNDN said:
    neil_something said:
    love this tune:

:shocked:

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Just posted the video above on FB, so gooooood.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Any Day Now

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

;-)

• cove said:
    pcmr said:
    alieNDN said:
    neil_something said:
    love this tune:

:shocked:

:raw:

;blap:

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Had no idea she was such a good drummer. That clip was awesome.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    jjfad027 said:

;-)

Hadn't heard this cover before. Is it her drumming? Because the "4" would be a good time to knock f*ck out of the snare. It's kinda missing that narcotic shuffle of the OG. Although I like how she upgraded the 220 to a 350 (Chrome-theft-R). That is a str8 baller move.

No doubt Karen had that talent in spades. My parents used to rinse the Carpenters on the reg and all those hits are burnt into my sepia-tinted memories. "Close to You" will always remind me of my mum. :sniff: (Mum's still alive btw, just Karen's vocal gets me all weepy as I recollect a time when we had Summers and pop was 10p a can)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Great thread.
    Always hated the Carpenters. They were big when I was in hs. Their top 40 hits drove me crazy, and their clean cut image turned me off.

At the time I had a friend who took his younger siblings to see them. He told me, sheepishly, that actually they were pretty good. I said that was not possible. He said Karen sang and drummed at the same time, which is really hard, he said. I did not believe.

Of course they are great.
    Clean cut, polished and packaged. But the music is there, all I have to do is listen.

I am digging through my dollar bin now to see what I have.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    neil_something said:
    love this tune:

That's fooking awesome, although I don't know how to behave now that I like a Carpenters song.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Dante said:
    neil_something said:
    love this tune:

That's fooking awesome, although I don't know how to behave now that I like a Carpenters song.

Cosine on that! For some reason it has a Soft Machine feel to it, in my private mindgarden anyway...

• i think that they are lip syncing their performance in that clip. looks like nothing is mic'd.

• i think that they are lip syncing their performance in that clip. looks like nothing is mic'd.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    leon said:
    Dante said:
    neil_something said:
    love this tune:

Cosine on that! For some reason it has a Soft Machine feel to it, in my private mindgarden anyway...

The left hand keyboard figure is very Soft Machine-ish, imo.

This is lip-synced, btw, so she's not singing and playing this at the same time here. I have no doubt she could do it, though, she really was good drummer.

• Horseleech said:
    This is lip-synced, btw, so she's not singing and playing this at the same time here.

a bit of hyperbole on my part, clearly... ;-) but still, lip-syncing and miming playing in odd time signatures at the same time is still pretty impressive.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Ah, i thought audio and video just were out of sync! So, this is from an album or single? Excuse my ignorance on the Carpenters discograpy...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    She did play and sing live. But not in the op clip.

I was checking youtube videos and there are a number of her singing and playing.
    Including The Richard Carpenter Trio winning a talent contest in 1968 with Dancing In The Streets.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    neil_something said:
    love this tune:

infuckingcredible.

And check out 0:34 , she even finds time to smile/laugh nonchanlantly..
    musical familly probablty started at a very young age.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts