Harry Potter, Books and Movies

2»

Comments

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    batmon said:
    is this done or will there be spinoffs or pre- cursor stories?

J.K. pretty much ended things with the epilogue at the end of the 7th book, so there really can't be any speculation about the main characters' futures.

The only spin-off type stuff I can think of is if J.K. wrote more books like The Tales of Beedle the Bard, which is supposed to be a fairy tale book magical kids were read. It's been 10+ years and I think I speak for a lot of fans when I say that 7 books and 8 movies are enough.

I need to watch Part I in the next coupla days and hopefully catch PII this weekend.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    batmon said:

It should be done, but JK and fans wont say quit.

It's like asking if Sherlock Holmes, or Batman (who died in 1979, right?) are done.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Almond said:
    batmon said:

J.K. pretty much ended things with the epilogue at the end of the 7th book, so there really can't be any speculation about the main characters' futures.

The only spin-off type stuff I can think of is if J.K. wrote more books like The Tales of Beedle the Bard, which is supposed to be a fairy tale book magical kids were read. It's been 10+ years and I think I speak for a lot of fans when I say that 7 books and 8 movies are enough.

I need to watch Part I in the next coupla days and hopefully catch PII this weekend.

Can u keep it real and tell me that it wasnt consistently fresh for all 8 movies.
    If there was some drop-off when did u see it?
    Or its been heat all the way through.

LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:

It should be done, but JK and fans wont say quit.

It's like asking if Sherlock Holmes, or Batman (who died in 1979, right?) are done.

Batman, James Bond, Star Wars. Some brands stand the test of time.

Can Harry Potter's. cartoons, spinoffs, etc?

Or do u bow out gracefully and let that run be the defining steez?

batmon said:
    Almond said:
    batmon said:

Can u keep it real and tell me that it wasnt consistently fresh for all 8 movies.
    If there was some drop-off when did u see it?
    Or its been heat all the way through.

Yes, there have def been peaks and valleys for me. Heat all the way through, but with occasional lukewarm lulls. Books: 1, 5 and 6 were my faves. Dropped off at 2 and 3 mostly bc I didn't like Pettigrew and the Animagi. Picked up and got really juicy 4-6. Harry starts peeping the Asian girls while his posse opts for the Euros. Like I said, Pimp Cup, golden egg and Nimbus in the prefects' bathroom. 7 dropped off a bit just because there was so much going on and every loose end to tie up that it didn't come together too cleanly. And then he died but he didn't? And the name Albus Severus is still a travesty.

Movies: Admittedly, never a priority for me and I haven't seen them all. 1-3 pretty weak compared to the last few. They've improved pretty linearly due to a general maturing of the actors and direction. Choosing what to include or leave out is an art in itself.

I just meant the movies, but cool.

• From JK:

www.pottermore.com

Not exactly sure what this will be - some kind of interactive continuation.

I think the movies got better. The last 4 are by the same director (I think) and his version of the wizarding world is superior to the earlier directors. Mostly.

Dramatically, the series is done. She wrote the books, gave it an epilogue, movies made from the books... There is no literary or theatrical reason to continue. But continue they must. And the pottermore.com is just the latest.

There can be prequel, cartoons, side stories, Harry, Ron and Hermine's struggle to get good jobs as high school drop outs, Voldemort's return, Harry's kid battling Draco's kid and on and on...

New media means new venues for the Potter story to be told again.

LaserWolf said:
    I think the movies got better. The last 4 are by the same director (I think) and his version of the wizarding world is superior to the earlier directors. Mostly.

Dramatically, the series is done. She wrote the books, gave it an epilogue, movies made from the books... There is no literary or theatrical reason to continue. But continue they must. And the pottermore.com is just the latest.

There can be prequel, cartoons, side stories, Harry, Ron and Hermine's struggle to get good jobs as high school drop outs, Voldemort's return, Harry's kid battling Draco's kid and on and on...

New media means new venues for the Potter story to be told again.

Do u think the mythology is good enough to translate to all the new media, cause Sherlock Holmes is irrelevant in 2011.

Potter is probably the new Star Wars or whatever of the millenium.

I disagree about Sherlock Holmes. But whatever.

This doesn't imbed, but a favorite.

I think the characters and story line, and the magical world contain enough material and are good enough to last a long time.

A lot has to do with the amount of control the copyright holders exercise over the franchise.

When you look at the way that Disney manages Winnie The Pooh constantly raping the little bear for another show or product, and contrast it with the Baum estates tight hold on the Wizard of Oz which does not allow new interpretations, you can see that it is more about marketing v artistic control.

I think the current run of movies are only for book fans.
    How someone who has not read the books can follow and enjoy the action is beyond me.

When they are redone 20 years from now the film maker will likely choose to explain more of what is happening.

LaserWolf said:
    I disagree about Sherlock Holmes. But whatever.

This doesn't imbed, but a favorite.

I think the characters and story line, and the magical world contain enough material and are good enough to last a long time.

A lot has to do with the amount of control the copyright holders exercise over the franchise.

When you look at the way that Disney manages Winnie The Pooh constantly raping the little bear for another show or product, and contrast it with the Baum estates tight hold on the Wizard of Oz which does not allow new interpretations, you can see that it is more about marketing v artistic control.

I look at something like Transformers that had lost its luster in the 90's and is now back on the POP radar.
    Unlike He-Man from the same ERA which hasnt been able to get back onto the POP radar.

Kids wanna be like Sherlock Holmes? The Sherlock Holmes Brand is alive and poppin in 2011.

Im interested in seeing HP brand post movie.

I agree with LW on the marketing vs art angle. Desire to expand the franchise is financially rather than artistically motivated at this point. HP will be popular for at least a couple of generations of kids to come, but as for adding new storylines, I don't think that'll fare well. The Trio will lead rather ordinary adult lives. Harry and Draco's kids' rivalries will be too much like that of their fathers' and grandfathers' to be ample fodder. Voldemort (spoiler) dies so that's a major plotline gone. That flat epilogue was meant to quell speculation, and it did for me. Finding the 7 horcruxes was kind of like a psychological countdown to the end of the series. There really isn't much left to do with the series once the central conflict (Voldi) is resolved.

The remake in 20 years will be interesting. But like you said, no idea how you can watch without having read.

Batmon, read the first book; that's all you need. Forget the flicks.

Almond said:
    Batmon, read the first book; that's all you need. Forget the flicks.

Will the Lord Of The Rings get remade?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My first grader is really enjoying the series and now my kindergartener is making me read him the first book.

Saw Deathly Hallows Part 2 this weekend. It was entertaining but not great. The best parts were with Snape, which were also my favorites in the books (also a big Half-Blood Prince fan). Ending with them as a adults corny as fusk, but it was in the books, as well. Kind of inevitably tepid. Other than that it followed the book pretty closely, although a lot got left out considering the encyclopedic density of the 7th book. Would have loved to hear more about the history of Godric's Hollow, but I know there wasn't time for that. Totally left out the part when Harry saves Dudley, but I guess it wasn't important.

Snape has got to be one of my favorite characters due his complexity. On the surface, he's a caricature like everyone else, but in 6 and 7 you get to know him better. I have a professor who looks like him. Graduate advisor, so I can't ignore him. He's intimidating, partially due to the Snape resemblance.

And Albus Severus Potter is still the most unfortunate name.

When does Harry save Dudley? I forget.
    SPOILER:
    As I said earlier the most important thing they left out was Harry's love speech.
    They wanted to make a dark movie, but book was about love conquering hate, and I guess the director couldn't handle that.

Snape is one of the best cast characters of all time.

In the movie, you briefly see the part where the Dursleys are packing up the house and leaving bc things had gotten shady. In the book, Harry saves Dudley from a dementor attack and Dudley experiences something of a mild epiphany when he realizes what Harry has done for him, and what he himself would have been too selfish to do for anyone else. There's a moment of quiet reconciliation between the two when Harry sees that Big D has acknowledged his actions. Then when Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia are leaving, D expresses concern for H and what might happen to him. It was am important moment in the series since Harry's early life shaped him just as much as his magical nature. But it wouldn't have fit into the movie.

What love speech, LW?

Harry saving Dudley happened in an earlier book. Right? Then in the final book, at the beginning he helps the Dursley's get out of town.
    Do I have the sequence right?

In the final book when Harry faces off with Voldemort he tells V that V can't kill him because he has love which is a power greater than V and the elder wand. Some stuff about how his mothers love saved him and his love will save the rest of the world. Love love love.
    That's how I remember it, and I remember the moral of the book was Love Is Great.

Been a few years, but I think I have it right.

I see. They mentioned how his mother's love saved him plenty in other books/movies, IMO, whereas the fact that so many friends stood up for "good" in the end kind of spoke for itself. Harry and V falling off the cliff, in each others arms, screaming mouth to mouth was kind of homoerotically really awkward. Love speech at that moment would have pushed the rating to R.

Wiki Dudley Dursley. H saved him in an earlier book but didn't get a proper thanks until the end. Book 7 was busy with plot twists, details and the tying up of loose ends. I'd be really impressed if anyone remembered everything after 2 years. I certainly didn't.

Almond said:
    Harry and V falling off the cliff, in each others arms, screaming mouth to mouth was kind of homoerotically really awkward. Love speech at that moment would have pushed the rating to R.

Funny you mentioned that. I thought Harry and Snape had a kind of homoerotic thing going in this movie with Snape constantly seeing Lily in Harry.

I was just talking to a friend who just saw it, and her point was kind of like yours.
    The movie was too much Harry and Tom Riddle and not enough of all the other characters.

This is the movie where Nevile got to step forward be more of a character. One of those things that would make no sense at all if you hadn't read the books.

LaserWolf said:
    Almond said:
    Harry and V falling off the cliff, in each others arms, screaming mouth to mouth was kind of homoerotically really awkward. Love speech at that moment would have pushed the rating to R.

Funny you mentioned that. I thought Harry and Snape had a kind of homoerotic thing going in this movie with Snape constantly seeing Lily in Harry.

I was just talking to a friend who just saw it, and her point was kind of like yours.
    The movie was too much Harry and Tom Riddle and not enough of all the other characters.

This is the movie where Nevile got to step forward be more of a character. One of those things that would make no sense at all if you hadn't read the books.

Probably one of the many reasons Snape detests Harry, as he awakens strange feelings that translate roughly into pedophilia even though that's not really it. I feel like the movie did a great job of showing us Snape's past, however, one of my friends felt that if you hadn't read the books, the final movie depicted James Potter as an arrogant pr*ck more than the brave, loyal man he was. Snape didn't have a happy home life, he was a brilliant loner in school, he was tormented by a group of boys who felt they were above rules and the only person who he ever really felt attached to as a child and then as an adolescent mass of raging hormones, Miss Lily Evans, chose the popular brat. I mean, he did call her a mudblood that one time, but whatever. And he could have sent like 50 owls with apologetic, charmed notes, but no matter. And he should have known better than to think becoming a death eater was cool, but people drink until they puke because they think that's cool, too. She was the only person who could have softened his icy edges, and it must have hurt pretty bad to see the spawn of his sparkling, redheaded crush and the bully who made him even more miserable roaming around the halls with a free pass just because he was the Boy Who Lived. Yeah, I cried. Harry was essentially a loud manifestation of the love Snape never got to experience.