Odub's NPR MoWest Thing

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
I be listening (not by choice). Good segment, good choices for music drops, found it interesting. One unsolicited opinion: work on your voice.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/14/137854223/the-strange-sound-of-motowns-early-hollywood-years

Read/listen folls, it's good!

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Work on what about it, exactly? Cadence? Timbre? Throw an accent on it?

Keep in mind, NPR pushes its reviewers to use a particular vocal style. If I do a read-thru my editor's not feeling, I have to do another take - 3-5 per paragraph isn't unusual. Sometimes, I'm fine with it. Other times, it doesn't sound natural to me. C'est la vie.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    suzee al qaeda!

does your editor demand you pronounce asian names like a white dude?

grandpa_shig said:
    suzee al qaeda!

does your editor demand you pronounce asian names like a white dude?

It's not eh-kay-dah? (Or is that not what I said?). Have I shamed my JA wife and in-laws?

Then again, I don't even pronounce my surname properly so...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    haha! its ee KEH dah. nice story tho dude. at least you arent rocken the sandra tsing lo vocal stylings. she sounds like shes reading book reviews for reading rainbow.

grandpa_shig said:
    haha! its ee KEH dah. nice story tho dude. at least you arent rocken the sandra tsing lo vocal stylings. she sounds like shes reading book reviews for reading rainbow.

Damn, I guess I should have asked my wife first. I must now bow my head in shame.

Sandra Tsing Loh = on some other shit. The way she elongates her words is like fingernails on a blackboard.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Work on what about it, exactly? Cadence? Timbre? Throw an accent on it?

Keep in mind, NPR pushes its reviewers to use a particular vocal style. If I do a read-thru my editor's not feeling, I have to do another take - 3-5 per paragraph isn't unusual. Sometimes, I'm fine with it. Other times, it doesn't sound natural to me. C'est la vie.
    I realized after I said that it would come off as zing laden. It was a really interesting segment and I enjoyed it. In reality though, it's like this. Enthusiasm. You can sound enthusiastic and scholarly simultaneously. I know NPR prolly wants to keep you inside a "box," but I think something can be scholastic and presented in a catchy or enthusiastic manner. NPR seems to cultivate a detached way of speaking, either because that's how they want it and/or you do a million takes and wanna be done with the fucking thing. If I was flipping through channels and just heard you speak, I'd keep rolling, even though I was REALLY interested in the topic.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts