BeerGardens Yah or Nay?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
There are multiplying like a mutha in NYC.

Is this a NYC thang or will it be spreading across the country like the Food Truck?

Ive had fun at two in Queens but its not a regular thang.

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I've tried a bunch of the less hipsterish joints and even those are all bogus. A beer garden can be a thing of unparalleled beauty but German food when not done right is worse than no food at all. And nobody in NYC does it remotely right. Some piece of shit place in W-Burg I walked past the other day had white sausage with bread on the menu and brezels as a separate item with some bullshit homemade mustard. They probably also throw a slice of lemon into you Hefeweizen. Disgusting. Why not instead go and open up another faux french bistro you clueless food dilettants!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Studio Square out here near my job, is way more "sculpted" than the Astoria OG/ Bohemian Hall.

When ive been it hasnt been for the food.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    batmon said:
    There are multiplying like a mutha in NYC.

Is this a NYC thang or will it be spreading across the country like the Food Truck?

Ive had fun at two in Queens but its not a regular thang.

The picture you posted looks so damn familiar, it has to be my regular after work beergarden when I used to live in Munich. (Augustinergarten that is.) Beergardens get a big Yay and they are the thing I miss most from my bavarian days when it's summer. They copy it all over germany and obviously in NYC too but you have to be in bavaria to get the real experience.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    batmon said:
    Studio Square out here near my job, is way more "sculpted" than the Astoria OG/ Bohemian Hall.

When ive been it hasnt been for the food.

You can't be in a beer garden and not eat.

When rating a beer garden the quality of the following integral factors are to be considered: Beer, food, trees, service.

I only have self-service and no trees but none of these NYC pseudo beer gardens make me want to leave my balcony.

Frank said:

Is it "Wurschdsalat"? Can't identify it.

One important thing for bavarian beergardens is that most of the space there is self-service. Just a small part is attended by waiters. In the self-service areas you are allowed to bring your own food (you don't have to), only drinks have to be purchased. This means even finacially disadvantaged persons or families can participate. That's why these beergardens are a strong social integration factor in bavarian society.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Augustinergarten

:beerbang: :beer: :beerbang: :beer: :beerbang: :beer: :beerbang: :beer: :beerbang: :beer: :beerbang: :beer:

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Frank said:

Is it "Wurschdsalat"? Can't identify it.

One important thing for bavarian beergardens is that most of the space there is self-service. Just a small part is attended by waiters. In the self-service areas you are allowed to bring your own food (you don't have to), only drinks have to be purchased. This means even finacially disadvantaged persons or families can participate. That's why these beergardens are a strong social integration factor in bavarian society.

Obazda with red onions and caraway seeds and headcheese & bloodsausage salad on caper vinaigrette.

I've been to plenty of Bavarian beergardens but I believe the all were fully serviced. Or maybe I just sat in the serviced section... anyway. You can't really beat Bavarian beer and food.

Frank said:
    Obazda with red onions and caraway seeds and headcheese & bloodsausage salad on caper vinaigrette.

That's the real shit. :hard_as_fuck:

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    why does it have to be an issue at all? summer is a great time for drinking outdoors so just do it!

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    disco_che said:
    Augustinergarten

:beerbang: :beer: :beerbang: :beer: :beerbang: :beer: :beerbang: :beer: :beerbang: :beer: :beerbang: :beer:

Cosine.

I was probably raised in these whilst growing up here in Munich. BIG YAY!

but - in a real Beergarden you can bring yourown food. We even have a law for this. But your own BBQ is not allowed.
    Now i??m thursty.

cadeaux said:
    willie_fugal said:
    disco_che said:
    Augustinergarten

Cosine.

I was probably raised in these whilst growing up here in Munich. BIG YAY!

but - in a real Beergarden you can bring yourown food. We even have a law for this. But your own BBQ is not allowed.
    Now i??m thursty.

Drink a "Moass" for me please. Wish I was down there for a couple of days. (BTW whaddup?)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Frank.....seems like the perfect time to start a Biergarten Truck

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Frank.....seems like the perfect time to start a Biergarten Truck
    Ha! Finally the right kind of business idea to rescue me from a life of lethargy and lack of purpose. I guess the big problem would be that it's illegal to sell beer from a truck. Maybe I should go for non-alcoholic beer and tofu sausages...

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    disco_che said:
    Augustinergarten

Ja Habedeehre, home sweet home!

b/w

Ya??ll cant never copy this!

• Philadelphia loosely last severall years till now:
    Copy NYC
    Tapas
    Tapas redux
    Gastro Pub
    Fancy $8 designer food truck
    Beer Garten
    zzzz

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The Lot on Tap, new on West 30th Street.

Together with The High Line we???ve bore another child. And this baby is a doozie. We???re proud to announce the arrival of Brooklyn High Line Elevated Wheat, a local collaboration of the, ahem, highest order. To celebrate the unveiling of Section 2 of the elevated park as well as this summer???s Lot On Tap beer garden at 30th and 10th, Garrett worked with Friends of the High Line, NY State Agriculture and North Country Farms to produce a new style of beer to be exclusively sold at The High Line park this summer.
    New York state farm to New York City table? Ho-hum. But New York state farm to New York City brewery? Hasn???t happened in at least a century. And indeed, a high degree of difficulty marked the creation of what is believed to be the first modern commercial beer brewed in the city from local wheat.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    batmon said:

The Lot on Tap, new on West 30th Street.

I like the use of urban spaces for this kind of thing. Sort of reminds me of street food in Bangkok (in a good way). Who cares if they're doing it wrong? The first Indian immigrants to set up restaurants in the UK had to drastically alter their menus/recipies and were 'doing it wrong', but that's how culture develops.

+1 Yay for beer & beer/gardens.